Author Topic: How much do they eat?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
How much do they eat?
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
Hello,

Doing my research into cockers and before we get one I'm trying to work out how much it will cost us!  Unfortunately money is an issue (how I wish it wasn't), so I'd like to work out before hand if we can't afford another dog rather than get one and have to rehome!

So just wondering roughly how much it costs you all a month on a complete dry diet?

Love

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Cazzie

Re: How much do they eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:18:54 AM »
Depends on what you feed, it cost me around 60p per day per dog to feed which isnt bad, I feed Burns Holistic food just now but I am changing over to Autarki which will then cost me 30p per day per dog. considering one of my cat costs £2 per day  :o  its not much.  :blink:  Sorry ment to say I have 4 dogs  :blink:

Its not the feeding that costs the most, vets bills and other stuff like worming a de fleaing and vaccinations, insurance etc can be the biggest cost to take into consideration  :blink:

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »
Hi,

We haven't got our puppy yet but are like you doing research.  We looked at feeding Burns and worked out it would cost approximately 90p per day for an adult dog.  We're now thinking of feeding BARF and people have said it can cost as little as 50p a day.  Money is a bit of an issue for us too, so we want to know how much we're likely to spend before it happens.  I think insurance is going to be the most important thing and possible the biggest monthly expenditure at about £24 a month for a decent policy.  We're looking on ebay for lots of the equipment we need and have found some bargains.  Good luck with your research.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »
We have four dogs, so it is a bit difficult to figure out a single one. But I think Jesse is probably about 30 - 40 p a day, if that... on CSJ CP21 (equivalent to Burns).

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
Thanks for the replys!  We have a Great dane at the moment so he costs us quite a bit in food!  He costs about £2 a day so I'm pleased that cockers are much less! Obviously they would be with the size difference but I wasn't sure how much by!

I presume the worming and flea treatments will also be less than for a Dane as I wouldn't need as much but if I work out how much we spend on vets/flea/worming stuff already and just double it then I'll know we'll be ok!

We have Wilson (dane) insured with Virgin and got a quote for £13.16 for a cocker which isn't bad!  Not had to claim yet so don't know if they're any good!  Policy is quite good though!

Love

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »
Cazzie's right.  Its not so much the feeding thats the expense its the insurance/vets.  Our insurance is with Petplan.  We pay £21 per month and have an excess of £80.  Each year the insurance goes up by £2 a month and the excess goes up by £10.   Each time we are at the vets you can guarantee it is usually around £70 - just under the excess!  Must say Petplan were very good when Molly was in vets for 2day on drip and it came to £700+ they paid up pretty quickly.   Having read a post on here about insurance, I do need to check out whether vets would wait for payment direct from Petplan if any bills were really, really huge.    Having read on here about a pooch breaking a leg we wouldn't manage to pay  £2,000 up front
mollypooch

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »
Ben costs very little to feed (Arden Grange) and his insurance is less that £6 per month (Healthy Pets). 

BUT he costs a fortune in toys, little treats, training costs, grooming tools, crate, bedding, leads, worming, flea treatment  ................ not forgetting the cheaper vet visits that are just under £50  :shades:  My little monster is worth every penny but he does cost a lot  :005: 

I am also a 'person of limited means' but I manage somehow  :lol: