Author Topic: Burns and loose poo  (Read 1098 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Burns and loose poo
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
Hi I have changed my charlie onto Burns as it lower in Fat that the HIll's prescription, I am trying to wean my 11y/o springer off Pedigree and onto Burn's and she has been on half and half for the past week, but is now getting loose stools.  Has anyone else had this with Burns.  I am going to put her back to 100% pedigree then when her innards calm down again try and introduce it again if the same thing happens then I will have to look for something else for her.  I was hoping to have them both on the same food.  Charlie took to Burns with no problems over a 3 week period so am not sure if it is the burns that has caused this with belle. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Cazzie

Re: Burns and loose poo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:16:56 AM »
I had it with Goose for ages. He was on a cheap diet before I got him but I persevered with changing to Burns, I would say it took 4 or 5 months for his toilet to go solid. Some dogs have sensitive systems and need a much longer period of change over than others. What amounts of the Burns food were you adding to his old food? As I to start with was adding too much of the Burns to his old food, so I started to put just a little in and gradually increased the amount of new food. As I say it took 4 or 5 months for Goose to get used to it and now he is fine, although he can be loose sometimes as he has a bit of a sensitive system and also depends on what he has eaten when we have been out and about.

You can call or email burns for advice they are really helpful  :blink:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:02:41 AM »
I probably started too quick by going half and half straight away.  I have backed off a bit and reduced the amount of Burns she is getting and plan to do it more slowly.  I think because charlie my cocker changed over really easy she would be the same, but the charlie was on Hill prescription I/d for his pancreatitis and belle is on Pedigree.  My aim eventually is have them both on Burns.  I have Emailed them for some advice. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »
I have to take care when I change Coco's food, his stomach can't cope with the change over. When I bought him from his owners they had two adult dogs, the two pups had been given adult mixer and pal. He was four months old when he came to me and he couldn't pass motion very well at all, so I had to change him to puppy food which upset his system immediately. Then the change over to adult food.

I would only feed small amounts until his stomach settles.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi