Author Topic: tripe  (Read 3940 times)

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
tripe
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
hi all, i fed ollie tripe raw this evening for his tea and he has eaten the lot he has been a bit fussy with what he eats but the tripe was gone in a flash, i had to get oh to put it in his bowl though cos the look of it makes me sick  :005:, but its weird he will turn his nose up at other nice stuff i do him like mince or fish, you would think the tripe has no taste but oh well he likes it and i am happy i finally found something he likes although he wont be getting it everyday its a bit pricey  :D

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Re: tripe
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Have you tried using a canned wet food that has tripe in it?

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »

Louie loves tripe too but it does smell :005:

We can get it for 20p a pound from our butcher, so very cheap ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
i am happy i finally found something he likes although he wont be getting it everyday its a bit pricey  :D

Sorry, you can't use that excuse!  :shades:  I buy it from the pet shop for about 35p for a 400g pack so much cheaper than a lot of other foods!  I am sorry but you will just have to put a peg on your nose and some rubber gloves.  :005:  I too find it quite revolting but being a devoted Mum I just have to grit my teeth - luckily once it is in the bowl, it is not there for long - it is pretty foul though but to Coco it is like the finest caviar!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »
Meg is a really fussy eater but she loves her raw diet and Tripe is a delicacy which is gone in seconds.  The smell always makes me heave but funnily enough her breath doesn't smell afterwards.  I stop her giving me kisses for a while though  ;)

I buy the little 450 g Forthglade packs for 50p and they mix other mince with Tripe e.g. Chicken and Beef.  Meg is rather partial to those too.

I've not been brave enough to buy the proper stuff from my butchers yet  :005:
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:00:34 AM »
Mine ALL love Tripe...but it makes me heave too  ph34r it really, really stinks  :o

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »
I never found it that bad to be honest. I bought big bags of it ready boiled from the butcher for £15 ish....it lasted ages. I just had to cut it all up, bag it into portions and freeze.

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:11:28 AM »
it cost me 1.76 yesterday for a pound and that was off the butchers in the market i will shop around next time but will still get hubby to put it in his bowl  :005:, can anyone give me some advice olliw heaves and is sick every morning and i cant understand why, he eats and drinks fine,  and is well with in himself but he does this every morning.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »
Re the heaving and being sick in the morning, it was mentioned on another thread recently and people found giving their dog a biscuit at bedtime helped.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »
it cost me 1.76 yesterday for a pound and that was off the butchers in the market i will shop around next time

Blimey, that is pricey - perhaps it is a delicacy round your parts.   :lol: 

Prize choice do a free flow tripe which is not expensive and it is less revolting  to deal with than the other stuff!   ph34r  Some pet shops sell it or if you have a bit freezer you can get a load delivered  ;)

http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/products/freeflowmincedmeats/
Julie and Watson

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
thanks i will try the biscuit thing and thanks joules will have a look about see if i can get it cheaper  :D

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »
thanks i will try the biscuit thing and thanks joules will have a look about see if i can get it cheaper  :D
The stuff I use is not human quality - the stuff in the butchers is cleaned for human consumption but the pet stuff is green and even more revolting hence it is also cheaper :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 09:17:46 AM »
it cost me 1.76 yesterday for a pound and that was off the butchers in the market

The bleached tripe sold for human consumption from butchers doesn't contain all the good enzymes that's in the raw unbleached tripe sold for dogs from pet suppliers. The bleached tripe doesn't smell and is a lot more expensive but the raw, green stuff is better for dogs :D
Jane

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:26:41 AM »
Our's love the green tripe  ::) havent heared of a dog yet that doesnt.
Cant say i look forward to it tho, the gloves come out and the face mask  :005:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
My Gran used to eat Tripe  ph34r She used to send me to the Butchers to get it for her and she used to it it cold with vinegar on it  ph34r ph34r