Author Topic: a week off BARF and what a difference!  (Read 3364 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
a week off BARF and what a difference!
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
We put the dogs on Naturediet while we were on the boating holiday as the fridge wasn't overly efficient and we didn't want to cart little bags of raw stuff around with us.

I was really surprised because I always thought quite highly of Naturediet but literally within 48 hours they were both waking up with very gunky eyes, they were pooing about 5 times a day (normally twice at the most on the raw diet) and by the end of the week they had very stinky breath.

They both had nice big bones on Saturday afternoon when we got back and now have sweet smelling mouths again and are back on their proper raw food again - it's made me think twice about putting them on Naturediet when we go away again though. What do other BARFers do on holiday? I'm thinking about using Burns next time...
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: a week off BARF and what a difference!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »
We did the same and our two turned their noses up at the Naturediet, too stinky compared to theirs I think. Ended up going and buying some chicken wings and a tub of mince.  Good job we'd only gone for the weekend. Going to have to rethink for our week in August.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »
Hmmmm, that is a bummer.  I always thought I would use Naturediet too if Coco went on holiday.  I don't fancy going back to the days of 5 poos a day  >:(   Maybe I would just use Arden Grange kibble with the occasional BARF meal thrown in when possible ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm thinking about using Burns next time...

Billy is on burns all of the time, he only has one pooh a day, occassionaly two, but never more than this  ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
Since we came back I keep a small amount of Autarky added to their feeds in the hope if all else fails they could just have dry whilst away and it wouldn't be a massive change of diet. Can supplement again with chicken wings/ribs etc.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »
I'm thinking about using Burns next time...

Billy is on burns all of the time, he only has one pooh a day, occassionaly two, but never more than this  ;)

Nell (Lab) is on Burns and Nature Diet and only pooh's once or twice a day, there like little chipolata's  :005:
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
Molo has been on JWB since Saturday morning, because my SIL is not happy to feed raw and she was house/dog/lil'bit sitting while we were away  ;)

Even in a couple of days, I have noticed a difference - smelly breath, gungy eyes, bigger poo's......he will be back on raw tomorrow  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
Is it not similar to changing to a completely different diet suddenly? I thought you had to phase it in slowly and out slowly, like you do if changing diets.

Mine both poo once a day and aren't raw fed, have never had ear infections or gunky eyes :D
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »
Is it not similar to changing to a completely different diet suddenly? I thought you had to phase it in slowly and out slowly, like you do if changing diets.

Mine both poo once a day and aren't raw fed, have never had ear infections or gunky eyes :D

I fast Molo for half a day between raw and processed - with a lot of dogs, you can't mix the two as they are digested differently, so phasing in gradually is not really an option  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
I feed raw and if we go away with them I just take it with us and put it in one of those little fridges, in the past when we hired a room in the lakes and did B&B the land lady also froze some of my meat for me. My meat is all fit for human consumption so she had no problems with freezing it. My family have also agreed to carry on feeding the diet should we go away and I have also enquired into kennels just in case and although it's the same price the people round here have said they would be happy to feed anything I provided, some however are more apprehensive about bones, but even if they did without for a week or 2 at least they would still be raw fed. I'm not prepared to compromise with my choice of diet Phoebe and Logan have never had anything else and Penny's been on raw since she was 8 weeks old.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
For the last month or so Alfie has been having a more dry kibble diet (Autarky) than barf for varoius reasons and I haven't noticed any difference in him at all. His breath, eyes, ears, coat etc. are all absolutely fine, and he's still pooing twice a day as he did on a wholly barf diet.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
but literally within 48 hours they were both waking up with very gunky eyes,

I wonder if the wind could have made their eyes gunky, not sure how fast the boat went, but just a thought ;)

Glad to hear they enjoyed their bones when they got home though :shades:

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
but literally within 48 hours they were both waking up with very gunky eyes,

I wonder if the wind could have made their eyes gunky, not sure how fast the boat went, but just a thought ;)

Glad to hear they enjoyed their bones when they got home though :shades:

We only went 5mph as that's the speed limit on the Thames  ;). Since we've been back they've been back on raw (since Saturday) and no more gunky eyes...
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Caprilli

• Site Member
    • Caprilli Dalmatians
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »
Hello,

I have been feeding my dogs on a raw or natural diet for many years but change them over to Vitalin Muesli each time we go on holiday. They are switched from one day to the next with Salmon oil and "missing Link" added to their Vitalin diet. Mine (Spaniel and Dalmatians) have never had a problem with this at all. What you should never do is mix kibble with raw food as it is digested at a different rate and can cause anytyhing from bloat to digestive problems and skin irritations. I do not like switching them to dried kibble as they do seem to have difficulties in digesting the hard cooked food.

Greetings,
Stephanie

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »
i really struggled with ollies eating he is very fussy and i have just put him on raw food and he loves it, wish i done it sooner  :D