Author Topic: Low Protein  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
Low Protein
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:20:42 AM »
Due to Maisy being a bit hyper (not sleeping for days  ph34r) the vet has recommended a low protein diet.  I am going back to see him tonight and I have a feeling he may recommend Science Plan cause that is what they sell in the vets.  At the minute she is on rice with a bit of chicken.

She is only 6 months old but will not eat JWB, went loopy on Auturky puppy but is ok on home cooked and BARF to a point - get about 4 hours sleep a night.  now I am happy to continue home cooked but the vet said I am making a rod for my own back and Maisy is going to have to stay with my sister for three weeks this year so I would like something managable for her too.  Her cocker Eddie is on dried food mixed with a bit of natures menu.

So suggestions please!!  I am happy to follow the vets advice to a point but worry that I may just be being sold what they get commission for! (could this be possible?)

Nina

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Low Protein
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »
I'm not sure that your vet is on the right track here - it has not been proven that high protein causes hyperactivity in dogs although feeding a diet high in artifical additives & sugars can contribute to hyperactivity (as they can in children). If you're feeding mainly rice with a bit of chicken (much more rice than chicken?), then you're already feeding a quite low protein diet so I'm not sure how a commercial low protein diet will help :-\ You could try Burns which is low in protein compared with many other complete foods but if Maisy is reacting to a particular ingredient in her food, it may not make any difference until you find out what that ingredient is.
Jane

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Sorry I didn't make that clear did I  :005: I meant I had put her on a  little chicken and Rice since last friday and seeing the vet, going back tonight to discuss things further.  I would like her to be allergy tested cause when she was on Auturky she was like my dughter is on Dr Pepper - you know bouncing off the walls and looking at me crossed eyed  :005:

I really really think I would like to try BARF but this is not low protein and I worry abotu what I would do if I had to put her in kennels.

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »
What about Burns foods? You can call them direct for advice. You can order it online and they will deliver it to you next day FOC.  :blink:

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »
just off to have a look at there website.

At six months would you still feed puppy food?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:20 AM »
my concern would be that she is still a growing pup and she needs protein :-\

can you eliminate certain things??  If she is on a chicken food, could you change her to a Lamb or Fish version which she may not be affected by?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:49:23 AM »
yes I could do but at the moment it is finding something a) which she will eat and b) that she will not take from her bowl and guard and c) something which won't have her climbing the walls.

I am dealing with the guarding thing but it is going to have to be something yummy, only thing is what I find nice and what she finds nice are different things!

The only thing she licks the bowl clean when she eats is BARF. she is like a hoover.

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:18:51 PM »
Beanie, you can speak to Rebecca Rickatson at Burns she will give you lots of advice or you can email her on
 www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk   she is ext helpful she has helped me with sweepies diet  :blink:

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »
Great thanks for the e-mail, I will e-mail now explaining the current situation.I really just want to do right by Maisy

Nina

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
I think firstly you have to decide what you personally would like her to be fed on, if it's dried food then take up the offers of help above, if it's BARF or similar then research this and go for it and if it's home cooked then the same advice. When going on holiday all the above diets can be managed easily by someone else, if you choose the latter 2 then you just need to make them up, bag them, freeze them then hand them over to whoever's looking after your dog and off you go :D I have found kennels are willing to feed raw diets so long as you provide the food.
I too would be concerned about putting a young dog on a restricted protein diet for anything other than kidney disease.
Could your rountine play a part in her hyperactivity rather than soley a dietary problem?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »
I agree with Karen, I think you need to decide on a food and stick to it  ;)

If she doesn't eat every meal, but remains healthy, then it could be an indication that Maisy's hyperactivity could be caused by overfeeding; there is a lot of information on the Burns website about the problems that this can cause  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Caprilli

• Site Member
    • Caprilli Dalmatians
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
Has the Vet ruled out any thyroid problems? Also Allergies tests taken via a blood sample can give blurred results and many show up allergies that do not exist. Sometimes sensitiveties can be created by underlaying issues. As your puppy is still in the middle of growing I would be very careful before offering a diet that is restricted and assure that every other possibility is ruled out.

Greetings,
Stephanie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 10:10:43 AM »
I'm going to close this thread now as there have been recent sad developments to this story (see thread on Puppies board)
Jane