Author Topic: BARF - No Bones?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
BARF - No Bones?
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
As some of you know Maisy has a bit of a food guarding issue which we are working on but  I would like to know why bones are so essential on BARF and if we chose that option full time what can I give her if she cannot have bones?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: BARF - No Bones?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:59:48 PM »
Bones provide calcium and phosphorus to a dog in a natural way which can be easily utilised by their bodies, however since it is possible to rear a dog on a vegetarian diet it can be possible to raise them on BARF without bones. They will require calcium and phorphorus supplements or foods which contain these things.
You could also grind the bones or cut soft ones into small pieces so that they can be given as part of their food so that guarding does not occur.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:01:54 PM »
Bones provide calcium and phosphorus to a dog in a natural way which can be easily utilised by their bodies, however since it is possible to rear a dog on a vegetarian diet it can be possible to raise them on BARF without bones. They will require calcium and phorphorus supplements or foods which contain these things.
You could also grind the bones or cut soft ones into small pieces so that they can be given as part of their food so that guarding does not occur.

That sounds interesting, what does the vegetarian diet consist of?  :blink:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »

One of my dogs is even on a VEGAN diet as he is allergic to animal protein. The diet consists of a complete vegetarian food (mainly based on soya and veg) and a supplement containing various trace elements. Flash is in excellent condition on this diet, better than he ever was on a normal meat based diet.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
I believe the packs of frozen mince you can get in PAH have some bone content if you don't want to feed bones. The other thing is that if you feed chicken wings, you could actually hold onto one end of them (possibly with pliers as it's a bit grim otherwise) while she starts on the other end of them, which might help with the guarding issue as you're obviously not trying to take it away from her if you're feeding it.

Zorro was very guardy over his chicken wings to start with (at 11 weeks old) so we hand fed them for a while, and also would just throw a handful of treats near him as we walked past, and then gradually just started standing a bit nearer (still giving treats) and these days he's fine with us humans being close by while he eats. He still growls at the cats though...
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »

One of my dogs is even on a VEGAN diet as he is allergic to animal protein. The diet consists of a complete vegetarian food (mainly based on soya and veg) and a supplement containing various trace elements. Flash is in excellent condition on this diet, better than he ever was on a normal meat based diet.

Vera

I am very interested in this diet Vera, My shrekkie was intollerant to meats, but as he died when he was 7mnths we never got to the bottom of it. I would love to find out what you feed on the Vegan diet as its always something to learn for the future if ever needed. Thanks Cazzie