Author Topic: change to burns...  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
change to burns...
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:55:39 PM »
i have changed Lilly's food over the past week to Burns but since she has done nothing but whinge.. is this normal?

Cazzie

Re: change to burns...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »
Cant say ive heard of any dog doing that when changing food  :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:03:53 PM »
Do you think she's hungry? Is she losing weight? Alfie lost a lot of weight on Burns and was constantly ravenously hungry and pretty unhappy. A lot of dogs do really well on it but others don't at all so she may be one of them...
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:29:15 PM »
Try adding some pasta to it , see if that helps  :D

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »
I put her on this as every dog "expert" I know thinks she wasn't eating enough on JWB, she hasn't stopped since I've changed it. So I am now confused as to whether JWB was better as she wasn't hungry of that Burns is nicer as she is wolfing it down.  I feel so confused all my other dogs have had Eukanuba and liked it or lumped it.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »
I put her on this as every dog "expert" I know thinks she wasn't eating enough on JWB, she hasn't stopped since I've changed it. So I am now confused as to whether JWB was better as she wasn't hungry of that Burns is nicer as she is wolfing it down.  I feel so confused all my other dogs have had Eukanuba and liked it or lumped it.

Burns is an excellent food so it's worth sticking with it a while longer just to see if she is ok on it. I'd bulk it up with pasta & veg & see if that helps.

Burns are very very helpful at giving out advice, perhaps give them a call?

Like Nicola said though , some dogs just don't suit burns, in which case you may then be better moving her onto something else. Arden grange is suposed to be good.

Try not to swap too often though otherwise you could end up with a fussy eater on your hands  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:58:51 PM »
I'd keep her on the Burns for now and see how she goes but monitor her weight and condition closely and if she starts to lose weight then I'd take her off it. You shouldn't really need to bulk out a complete food with anything else, this kind of defeats the purpose of feeding it so I'd feed it on it's own for now so that you can assess if it really is making her lose weight. Personally I'm not a fan of JWB or anything made by Iams but that's for ethical reasons. After the Burns issues we had I put Alfie on Arden Grange and it was great.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
You shouldn't really need to bulk out a complete food with anything else, this kind of defeats the purpose of feeding it.

This was my initial reaction too Nic. It was Burns who originally told me to bulk it up,but after a  few weeks I swapped to JWB. When I went to see Billys behaviourist , she'd done quite a bit of work on dog foods, she told me to get him back on burns but bulk it up with Pasta, she said the benefits of Burns against the next leading brand far outweighed & that bulking it up was the best option. So I put him back on burns ( he loves it) and bulk it up. I don't do this every meal, just every other day. I throw a handful of brocolli & cauliflower & carrot in.

Billy gets quite hyper if he gets additives etc so was advised to stear clear of AG. But not all dogs suit the same  :D

Am currently contemplating BARF though  :shades:

Personally I'm not a fan of JWB or anything made by Iams but that's for ethical reasons.

Me neither, wasn't aware of JWB but never ever feed any Iams food.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:14:58 PM »

Billy gets quite hyper if he gets additives etc so was advised to stear clear of AG. But not all dogs suit the same  :D

AG is additive free, I have a few of their info sheets here and all their foods and treats are free from artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives and are not tested on caged animals. Did Billy go hyper on it or were you just told to avoid it?

I just took Alfie off BARF... talk about cross purposes Jan! :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »
Did you introduce it gradually?  I was going to start Fern on Burns and got some free samples. I gave her a bowl full last night and then read that it should be introduced (with their normal food) over a minimum of two weeks so as to not be a shock to their digestion.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
AG is additive free, I have a few of their info sheets here and all their foods and treats are free from artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives and are not tested on caged animals. Did Billy go hyper on it or were you just told to avoid it?

:lol:

ah it must have been preservatives then, I'll ask her again, it was a while back. She basically said AG used to be one of the best foods out there but they had recently added more additives preservatives & they weren't the best. Can't remember exactly what she said Nic to be honest but she wasn't impressed. No I never tried Billy on it, he was on the JWB temporarily whilst I got some AG delivered as I'd run out of burns & just picked up the JWB from PAH  :D

Why is alfie off BARF?  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:23:05 PM »

:lol:

ah it must have been preservatives then, I'll ask her again, it was a while back. She basically said AG used to be one of the best foods out there but they had recently added more additives preservatives & they weren't the best. Can't remember exactly what she said Nic to be honest but she wasn't impressed. No I never tried Billy on it, he was on the JWB temporarily whilst I got some AG delivered as I'd run out of burns & just picked up the JWB from PAH  :D

Why is alfie off BARF?  :005:

I'll PM you so not to hijack. AG is additive AND preservative free so I think she needs to review her research!!  :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:25:09 PM »
AG is additive AND preservative free so I think she needs to review her research!!  :005:

:005: I'll e mail her now as this is bugging me  :005: Bet I've got it all wrong  :lol: