Author Topic: Help really confused  (Read 889 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
Help really confused
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »
Lilly was weaned on JWB but on seeing all the pups at her mums party she was the only one (apart from one WC that has gone to a full working home) that looked on the thin side. I took advice from lots of people and they suggested Burns. Since then she has done nothing but whine and be a bit hyper...her stools are fine but she doesn't seem as content even though she is eating more....can any one tell me exactly what the BARF diet is and would she benefit from it?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Help really confused
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »
BARF stands for bones and raw food and is just that - a diet comprised of raw meat and bones such as mince, chicken wings, lamb ribs, pork ribs, rabbit plus pulped vegetables, raw eggs etc.

As to whether or not it may benefit your dog that's something really only you can decide, if you want to do some research there are a few books available, Dr Ian Billinghurst has written a couple which are available on Amazon. I had Alfie on a BARF diet but have recently taken him off it again for various reasons. He still gets raw stuff a few times a week but it's no longer the basis of his diet.

Some dogs are naturally just leaner than others, Alfie being a case in point, he is a real skinnymalink but that's just his natural state and he is very healthy.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Help really confused
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »
At that age Ben didn't do well on burns, he was really skinney and hungry - I changed him to Arden Grange at about 8 months and he was fine!  Still begged for scraps but in a normal cocker way  ;)  He put on weight but now at 2 yrs I'm rethinking his diet  :shades:

I'm going to try the frozen raw packs that someone else mentioned  ;)  Ben has regular problems with his anal glands so I know he needs more bulk - he doesn't do well on chicken bones so I'm going to go for raw minced stuff - not chicken at first though as it seems to give him the runs  ph34r