Author Topic: Choosing a new puppy food  (Read 4171 times)

Cazzie

Re: Choosing a new puppy food
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »
Charlie is on JWB and he is doing great, only one problem ... how should I say it ... hmm .... he is a bit windy ;)
also when he goes to number 2, the first  bit is nice and solid ... then it gets sloppier the more there is .. too sloppy at times

like I say he is doing great, apart from the trumps ... and the odd runny number 2

This is exactly the same as my 2!!! They have only been fed on JWB for nearly 2 weeks but i dont think i can stand the smell any longer - its gross!!!!!!

Think i'm going to have to change their food - is this ok to do? as like i said they have only been on JWB for 2 weeks!

Give it time, it is not good for a dogs guts to change foods too often. I would persevere unless its abs ness  :blink:

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »
Thanks Cazzie, will do ;)

Maybe buy some clothes pegs for my nose :005:

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »
Thanks Cazzie, will do ;)

Maybe buy some clothes pegs for my nose :005:

2 of mine get stinky poops if I ever had to change their food and it gross  ph34r  but it firms up after a while. The other two on the other hand have guts of steele  :005: and could eat anything  :blink:

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »
Cazzie ... in your opinion would you say that chudleys or autarky are a better bet then purina beta ?

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »
Cazzie ... in your opinion would you say that chudleys or autarky are a better bet then purina beta ?

I think they are all made by the same people? not sure about purina? I didnt like autarky, too much poo, never tried purina and only the wokers get chudleys and they do well on it. I was looking at chudleys greyhound racer for sweepie as I was recommended it as she does not gain weight. I am though loath to change as they are settled on Burns at the moment, dont want to upset sweepie as changing diets as i said is not good for them.  :blink: I have now started to feed them twice a day again and add nature diet which is tremendous  :blink:

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks Cazzie

I need to find somewhere else that does chudleys ... (if thats the final choice) so I have a choice of 2 places at least

I need to do this tomorrow as charlies last poo could not be picked up ... I had to hose it off the decking ! ..

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »
Thanks Cazzie

I need to find somewhere else that does chudleys ... (if thats the final choice) so I have a choice of 2 places at least

I need to do this tomorrow as charlies last poo could not be picked up ... I had to hose it off the decking ! ..

What have you fed him on since you got him?  :blink:

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
he was on pedigree complete at the breeder, so we moved him onto JWB after he had his accident and operation (swallowed a pen from a nintendo ds) as he was on recovery chicken and rice for a few days .... he's been on JWB since, which is about 5 weeks ish

his poo's have been getting progresivly worse, and his passing windhas been of epic proportions over the last few days ... and a bit stinky to say the least

I need to move him to something that agrees with him better asap (I know a gradual change is needed), I realy want to make the decision tomorrow at latest

thanks for all your help with this ... its greatly appreciated

Cazzie

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »
he was on pedigree complete at the breeder, so we moved him onto JWB after he had his accident and operation (swallowed a pen from a nintendo ds) as he was on recovery chicken and rice for a few days .... he's been on JWB since, which is about 5 weeks ish

his poo's have been getting progresivly worse, and his passing windhas been of epic proportions over the last few days ... and a bit stinky to say the least

I need to move him to something that agrees with him better asap (I know a gradual change is needed), I realy want to make the decision tomorrow at latest

thanks for all your help with this ... its greatly appreciated

Sounds like it doesnt agree with him then. I want sure how long he had been on JWB. I think you are best to look into another food taking all aspects of your dog into consideration and find the most suitable food. I am not an expert and I dont know your dog, but if it was me Burns would be my 1st port of call  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 10:12:16 PM »

I think they are all made by the same people? not sure about purina?

Burns was being manufactured at the Skinner's feed mill  ;)  I'm not a fan of Purina for ethical reasons but the actual Beta food is probably ok. Mu lot are on Autarky just now and it's fine although I am still shopping around to see what I think of some others - namely Chudley's. 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
I can recommend Arden Grange - good quality & several flavours & I order it online & they deliver the next day - always had excellent customer service too - they send free samples if necessary so you could give it a try? Our Max was a v.fussy pup with a delicate tum (incl. the wind & diawotsit!) & he's been perfect ever since we started AG.

Good luck!!

Kath & Max
 :D
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:49 PM »
As soon as I got Jesse home, I put him on CSJ CP27 (Puppy Food), at 4 months old I changed him to CSJ CP21. He does well on it. All our dogs (except for my vegan boy) are on CSJ CP and do very well on it.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 03:28:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of Purina for ethical reasons but the actual Beta food is probably ok.

I had Lucy on Beta for a little while and it was awful stuff. ph34r That's how i discovered she has a sensitive stomach, i won't go into details but things weren't healthy at the icky end. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline pupps

• Site Member
  • Oscar & Jet
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »
Oscar was on iams but I changed his over to Burgess puppy food as Jet my lab is on the adult version, he is doing well on it with no problems.

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 07:20:45 PM »
Poppy's poos were the same when she was on JWB puppy food but they firmed up with JWB junior... ;)
Lee & Poppy xx