Author Topic: BARF-Sick  (Read 1219 times)

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
BARF-Sick
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:48:43 PM »
Hi all

Troy has been on BARF for about 6 weeks now and is really enjoying his food.  However, last week he threw up the meaty bone element of his diet (Chicken Wing) on two occasions and again this week.  I know that my BARF book says that this is normal but I was wondering how often your dogs do this?
It would appear that Troy is not chewing his bones properly sometimes and therefore is finding it difficult to digest. 
It's just all a bit worrying, not to mention a pain as we have had to clean up sick at 3 in the morning. 

Any advice/support this way please!!!
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: BARF-Sick
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
I must admit that Fern has only been sick twice since I switched her in October of last year and then it was only a little. She has two chicken wings -always after the rest of her meal to minimise the chances of her bolting it because she is hungry. I also make sure that she has uninterrupted space to take her time eating them. She is fed at least an hour after her walk and not walked again until morning.
How does that relate to Troys feeding routine. Does it help at all?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:31:30 PM »
ellie is half barf atm, but only coz i panic.i worry that she won't be getting what she needs with just barf. i know this is silly and hope to have her fully raw by this coming monday. i have been re reading happydogs thread :005:she has a raw meal in the evenings and has never been sick tho tbh i do anticipate some sickness once she is fully barfed. mainly because she eats her food sooo quickly. a chicken wing lasts just a few seconds(i now bash them for this reason) the ribs i gav her last night for the very first time were demolished much faster than i thouht possible and she stole one off the cat.
she is a naughty girl today, i thought i would sneak a choccie roll for a little treat. unwrapped it and then bent down to put the rest away in the cupboard. she stole my choccie roll and swallowed it whole. i wouldn't mind but i was holding it at the time. i hope she is sick now as it will make me feel better.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »
I think they bring the bones back if they have failed to chew them properly. They can then have a second go at them! :005:

I would try bashing them a bit to break up the bone. Just until you can be sure he is chewing properly.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies. 

HappyDog: Troy followes pretty much the same routine as Fern!
Annette/Lyn: Maybe bashing the bones a bit would be a good idea.  ;)

Troy has once eaten what he has brought up (yuck I know) so I do think it is a matter of being greedy and swalloing without chewing.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 01:54:26 PM »
Domino threw up a few miniscule pieces of bone & bile first thing in the morning when he was first on BARF; interestingly it was only ever pork ribs, not lamb.

To date Spike hasn't been sick on BARF (touch wood!!) but he does have a typical labs' cast-iron digestion!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)