Author Topic: Food recommendations  (Read 1343 times)

Offline misajeja

• Site Member
  • "Vinnie"
Food recommendations
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
My little Pup Vinnie is coming up for 5 months old and is currently fed on Skinners Puppy.
In the morning we give him Skinners with some Bio Yogurt as we were told this is good for the stomach.
Also normally in the evening we will give him Skinners with Pilchards or a small amount of chum.
As he is getting bigger i know we will have to change the food to suit
Any help would be really appreciative on best food diet and amount :huh:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Food recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »
You don't necessarily have to change food brands. If Vinnie is ok on Skinners and you are happy with it then you can just move him onto their adult variety when he's old enough. I change mine over to adult food when they're around 6 months but others leave it longer - anything up to a year, it's really up to you. If you want to change then do a search on here, there are LOADS of threads on various foods which members use and recommend.

The amount you feed will depend on his weight and the brand of food you are feeding - there are always guidelines on the side of the bag which you should use as a starting point, you can then 'tweak' the exact quantities if necessary. I generally feed my dogs by eye, I know how much they should get in each feed and if they put on weight I adjust it down and if they lose weight then I adjust it up. As they are working dogs I adjust their feeding in the winter to allow for their greatly increased workload.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:17:36 PM »
If he is on skinners puppy and does well on it, I would stick to skinners into adulthood, its a good enough food  ;)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »
Just stick to the same brand and use the adult version. I changed Jesse to adult food at 4 months old.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline misajeja

• Site Member
  • "Vinnie"
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
Thank you for your replys.
I think i will be keeping him on skinners as i see no problem with it. :D

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
HELLO i would keep him on puppy till he is getting on for a year and if your gunna add meat i'd use chappie!

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »
HELLO i would keep him on puppy till he is getting on for a year and if your gunna add meat i'd use chappie!

Not sure about chappie food  :-\ , but PAH sell Nature diet plastic tubs, I got these after Nicola recommended them and they are terrific, not cheap but full of goodness  :blink:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
I changed Kali over to adult food as soon as she had all her lovely new adult teeth.  Can't remember when that was but it was well before a year :blink:

Meant to say that I do not get hung up on amounts.  If my two are putting on weight I cut it down and if they are looking skinny I add more :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe