Author Topic: What do you add to your dog's food?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
Re: What do you add to your dog's food?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
I wet Sam's food already, if I don't, he wont eat it.   >:D

As PennyB said, I think Sam is not eating his food because he knows there is a bowl of Tuna in the fridge, which we have added to one meal every other day.  As long as there is Tuna mixed into his food, he will eat it straight away, but I don't want to use it all the time because then surely he will do the same and stop eating it and look for something else.

I've not tried to lift his bowl after 15 mins becuase sometimes he does have a small bite then leaves it.  So I suppose I should let him have a wee nibble and if he doesn't touch it 15 mins later, then lift it?  Not really sure what to do here.

I'm just worried that he is not eating enough, although he's not losing any weight.

Denise - I've changed him over to 2 meals and I think this is helping, as seems to be more interested in his food.

I'll give it another few days and try lifting his food after 15 mins and see how we get on.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's really appreciated!   :D
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
Re: What do you add to your dog's food?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
I had a similar problem with Oscar - he wanted his food moistened and with a yummy dog gravy fresh from the butcher on it!

I gradually reduced the amount of gravy and then gradually reduced the amount of water I added. Now he eats his food no problem. I leave it there all day and he tends to eat most in the morning and then go back an hour or so later to finish it off, so I've never done the picking up bit either.

No he'll get gravy or cottage cheese now and again, about once a week, and he still eats his dry food on the other days. It's nice seeing him go absolutely berzerk when he can smell the gravy coming, but I didn't want to give it to him every day, because dried food is supposed to be good for their teeth.