Author Topic: Can I give milk?  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Can I give milk?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »
I have to agree with wrenside.
When Florence came to us she was on a diet of complete food and nothing else. The only thing that has changed is she now has about a teaspoonful of live yogurt after each meal as this has helped her digestion (and firmed up her poo) since she got over the nasty bug that she had.

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
My boy's have a soft boiled egg in the morning. and have done so sinse they were puppies.
They are now 10 and 11 years old.
If you are worried about milk...Don't do it. What may be OK for one pup, may not be so good with yours.
Love machine

Offline DramaQueen

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 11:17:06 PM »
Is there a problem with grapes????

The problem is that although some dogs don't suffer ill effects from chocolate, grapes, milk etc (hence the "it never did my dogs any harm" comments), if a dog does react, it can make them really poorly, or even be fatal...........and is it worth the risk? 
The Pack;
Jess, Lily, Cara and Eve.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 11:29:39 PM »
Yes grapes, along with any of the dried form - sultanas, raisins etc are not good for our four legged friends.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »
i didn't know about the cows milk not being good for dogs until i joined this site. my oes used to have a bowl of porridge every winters morning all her life. she liked it sweetened with honey so i suppose i actually did it right but without realising :005: she loved choccy too and got some quite often :P

Offline snavie

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
I am quite surprised about chocolate :o

My mum's dog had a Kit Kat every single day, he lived until he was 19 !!

Didn't know about grapes either  :o

I'm worried about giving her little treats in case they aren't good for her now.

Does anyone know if puppies aged 11 weeks can have those rawhide chew bones?

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
my old dog also had a kit-kat everyday and she lived to 17,she also ate grapes ,but i would never give biba these as its too risky,i dont think we were as educated about a dogs diet as we are now ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »
I cant understand why anyone would want to give a dog certain things ie milk and chocolate  :-\

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »
Our last dog lived for the end of a kitkat she would hear the foil rustle from the garden! Not planning on Callie getting any at all though as this was before we knew chocolate was bad for them.

Callie 9weeks has had a rawhide chew and she has been fine, as long as you keep an eye out and remove it after a while (she got bored and had it taken away then) 21

I cant understand why anyone would want to give a dog certain things ie milk and chocolate  :-\

It's called Anthropomorphising we as humans have always put human characteristics onto animals and therefore tend to want to give them human food too as treats, in most cases it causes no harm but obviously can go too far sometimes. It's all bundled in with giving them cuddles, treats and names, things they wouldn't get if they were wild.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 11:35:31 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »

Because  in the case of milk I believe I am following the best diet for my dogs, which is a very individual thing. In the case of chocolate I'd imagine that most people are not aware of the dangers of such things for dogs and as Aearoniel said most of it will be about humanising our pets. I think we could all say "I can't understand why anyone would want to....." about most things. Doesn't mean you are right for thinking it or others are wrong for doing it. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »

Because  in the case of milk I believe I am following the best diet for my dogs, which is a very individual thing. In the case of chocolate I'd imagine that most people are not aware of the dangers of such things for dogs and as Aearoniel said most of it will be about humanising our pets. I think we could all say "I can't understand why anyone would want to....." about most things. Doesn't mean you are right for thinking it or others are wrong for doing it. ;)

Didnt say I was right but cant people read up on what a dog should/should not eat before they give it to them, incompetance in my book  ;)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »
not much excuse for it now there is lots of literature around about what is good for a dog and whats bad or harmful no point people doing all this research to find answers if people don't bother to take any notice of the advice given.

We were always told if you feed a little milk then you water it down two parts water to one part milk if its cows milk or one part water one part milk if its goats or sheeps milk.  The dobermanns I used to feed at the stables were fed a pot of UTH milk everyday with their biscuits and it never did them any harm as far as I can remember.  Not sure I'd feed it now though but thats because I don't like UTH milk.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
I always thought it was bad to give cows milk, but on Friday my vet told me the opposite, he said as long as it didn't upset her tummy then it was good for them  ::) and also helps build up their calcium levels  :huh:

I put down a small bowl, she sniffed it then walked away, so I guess I'll never know if it upsets her or not.

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »
I just met my pup & breeder yesterday.  Don't get pup til 31.8.07.  However the very 1st thing the breeder said to me was not to feed the pup milk. As he said, a dog is an animal and if it was in the wild it would not drink milk after being weaned. That's also his reasons for not feeding the dog anything sugary, salty etc but as a first time owner I was glad for this advice - although when my parents had a golden retriever when i was growing up she would eat anything & everything (except pickled onions  :005: )