Author Topic: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)  (Read 12161 times)

Offline jools

• Site Member
Re: Rage syndrome
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »
I would be looking for a veterinary behaviourist and a full  member of the APBC.
I have known cases where rage has been misdiagnosed even by behaviourists when really the dog was reacting due to a blood sugar level problem.
Mark

Mark, of of the first things I tried with Millie (on Linda ward's advice) was feeding her every 2 hours to avoid a drop in blood sugar levels. Sadly, it didn't work for Mills, but it was worth trying.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »
Hello,

I am not expert in anything when it comes to dogs. But my ex's cocker had the symptoms associated with rage syndrome. He was a real split personality and some times if you bumped him when he was asleep, his eyes would glaze over and he would try to attack you. Then he would fall asleep and in a minute would be perfectly normal.

My ex wasnt willing to invest in any kind of training so I learnt to live with it. I just learnt to accept the situation and get on with it. Cookie was very high maintainance and often he was protective of his 'mum' but when she wasnt around he was ok. We never left him unsupervised with guests or children.

In saying that he was my best mate and I still miss the angry little guy. I hope he is doing well these days. It was hard work tip toeing around him some times when he was in a bad mood but the rewards were there at the end of the day.

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 09:48:10 AM »
Thank you for all your replies. Rehoming Gypsy would never even enter our heads as at the end of the day we took her on and we stand by that and regardless of the rages she is still very much apart of our family and always will be.Rehoming an animal is not something I would ever do after all I run a rescue for rabbits. Gypsy as had a full examination by our Vet and everything is perfect.
Trust me we will never ever give up on her as she is a wonderful dog and we love her to bits. We have friends who train guide dogs and obviously they are very experienced and we have done and do exercises that they have told us to do. We are just greatful for any tips that we get and will try anything as long as it as Gypsy's best interest at heart.
Thank you
Kay

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 09:51:17 AM »
Just a thought, resource guarders can be Jeckl and Hyde as well, could gypsy be guarding anything when she reacts?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 10:07:02 AM »
No she never guards anything she is really good like that. She can be fine and totally chilled out then all of a sudden she will just flip and then go back to being chilled out again. She isn't just targeting one of us but both of us as if I thought it was just me then I would just think it was a behaviour issue and know we can overcome it. She will do it to my husband, and the other dogs also, it is who ever is nearest at the time. Her eyes get like a red cast over them and then you know she is going to flip and then she goes back to being normal again.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »
Have you spoken to linda ward?

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »

I would speak to her as a matter of urgency. Dog's who change without any triggers need urgent help.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
No she never guards anything she is really good like that. She can be fine and totally chilled out then all of a sudden she will just flip and then go back to being chilled out again. She isn't just targeting one of us but both of us as if I thought it was just me then I would just think it was a behaviour issue and know we can overcome it. She will do it to my husband, and the other dogs also, it is who ever is nearest at the time. Her eyes get like a red cast over them and then you know she is going to flip and then she goes back to being normal again.

I do think you need expert help (even if its to help you manage her) and not by someone giving advice by email/internet forum/telephone --- it is important for any one with behavioural problems that concern them that they seek professional advice in person. Interestingly while I'm no expert sometimes triggers can be very subtle which is why people need soemone who isn't biased re cockers, ie will have an open mind re what the cause is
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:16 AM »

I would speak to her as a matter of urgency. Dog's who change without any triggers need urgent help.

Does Linda actually see the dogs in person that she advises on
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »
I came across Linda's site before I joined this forum and i am still waiting to hear from her.

Just thought I would show you all some pics of her (I am biased ;) and she is sooooo cute)[/img]
[/img]

OOOOp's don't think I hav e done pics right ::) I will try again

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
out of interest what tests did your vet perform?
I also agree with Penny that you need to see someone in person to get expert help.
I have been to cases where vets diagnosed rage and what i saw was a dog with proximity issues in certain situations.
Vets are not all behaviour savvy.
have you had her eyes checked?
Bayley used to be very reactive which I believe was in part due to his abnormal vision.
Your dog is the spit of him :luv:
mark

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 11:09:41 AM »
My vet as carried out blood tests, Eyes, Ears, etc and all are normal. infact we have had 2 blood tests done one just after we got her and then one last month to make sure nothing as changed and all the levels were the same. If I am totally honest we thought at first it could be hormonal and a territorial issues with her but we had her neutered and no changes (I know that neutering doesn't always calm them as i see it all to often in rabbits). We are always making some excuse or another for her behaviour and even thought she was mistreated by her previous owners (I am use to people extending the truth about why they are rehoming an animal with running a rabbit rescue) So we went back to basics with her and she gained our trust but still flips out. I have been on to my vet this morning and she is phoning the behaviourist to make it urgent.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 10:07:59 PM »
Good luck with the vet & behaviourist  :D

Has she improved at all since you rehomed her?  :D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »
My vet as carried out blood tests, Eyes, Ears, etc and all are normal. infact we have had 2 blood tests done one just after we got her and then one last month to make sure nothing as changed and all the levels were the same. If I am totally honest we thought at first it could be hormonal and a territorial issues with her but we had her neutered and no changes (I know that neutering doesn't always calm them as i see it all to often in rabbits). We are always making some excuse or another for her behaviour and even thought she was mistreated by her previous owners (I am use to people extending the truth about why they are rehoming an animal with running a rabbit rescue) So we went back to basics with her and she gained our trust but still flips out. I have been on to my vet this morning and she is phoning the behaviourist to make it urgent.

I would love to know who your vet refers you to and the outcome?
Did your vet mention an MRI scan?
Mark