Author Topic: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)  (Read 12166 times)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: Rage syndrome
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:19 PM »
Hi
I know this sounds strange, but it may help your behaviourist if you can record an attack,  so they can see it.
When I first got Charlie this was something that the vet and behaviourist felt he may have.Thankfully in his case it was fear reaction, and he did not need medication.
My friend had a dog who reacted suddenly for no apparent reason, it came to light she had a shadow on her eye that affected her vision and caused her to "spook"
i hope you manage to get the right help for Millie

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 04:47:31 AM »
I think I know what you mean about the red eye thing. As I had months of this, I am pretty sure it was Cookies third eyelid if that makes sense.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
No advice from me - sorry

Just want to wish you all the best with the behaviourist  :D

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
All the best from me too - Well done you for standing by her, no matter what :D

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
We will stand by Gypsy no matter what as as you can see frm the pics she is also very loving. As regards recording an attack, I really don't think we could as it is so random you just never know when it is going to happen, I do have a scar left from a puncture wound on my arm though. We know call it Gypsy's naughty twin.
I will let you know the name of the behavourist as soon as she contacts me. Thank you all for giving me all your advice and good wishes it is very much appreciated.

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »
Am so pleased you are sticking with her.  We had the same problem with our orange roan many years ago and had lots of similar situations over the years where he would be loving and gentle one minute and then show his teeth and go for us the next.  We didnt have children when it first started but learned to live with the situation for many years, all our friends and family were aware of the problem and worked round it.  Rage syndrome was really unheard of back in the early 80's and so our dog wasnt diagnosed until he was over 7 years old.  Even though it was so hard at times we loved him to bits so just wanted to persevere with him.   Good Luck with Gypsy, hopefully things will improve.

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
So glad you are sticking with it - they are part of the family aren't they.

Good luck with the behavourist

Offline kayj

• Site Member
Re: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
Well the behaviourist couldn't fit us in until the end of November, so my vet as put her on Epiphen tabs (they say they can make them drowsy but it hasn't with Gypsy) and she as now been on them for 2 weeks and we have one very happy, settled little lady. She hasn't had a ' on of her moments'   and is just her njormal loving self. We are so pleased for her as we know it wasn't her fault and she couldn't help it. She is also getting on great with the other dogs and now snuggles up to them.
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you to everyone for all yur advice :D

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
I am so pleased to hear that the tablets appear to be working and that she is settled and happy!  :luv:  :luv:

And well done to you for sticking by her, Im not sure others would have done the same xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
That's great news. I am so pleased for you....and Gypsy.

Having had to have my Millie PTS last year, I guess I am one of those who did not "stick by" my dog.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 11:20:08 AM »
It's great to hear such good news news. :D
Really pleased for you and for Gypsy :luv: :luv:
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »

Having had to have my Millie PTS last year, I guess I am one of those who did not "stick by" my dog.

Absolutely not Jools - and you know that I read your story about all the heartache and grief you went through with Millie and what a tormented soul she was. I absolutely admire everything you did for Millie and by letting her go you did the best thing for her.

every individual case is different and you did the best you could for Millie just as Kayj has done the best in her way for Gypsy.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »

Absolutely not Jools - and you know that I read your story about all the heartache and grief you went through with Millie and what a tormented soul she was. I absolutely admire everything you did for Millie and by letting her go you did the best thing for her.

every individual case is different and you did the best you could for Millie just as Kayj has done the best in her way for Gypsy.

Quite agree. You did everything possible for Millie. Don't be thinking you did not stick by your dog. Sometimes you can do no more and you ended her suffering, suffering great heartache yourself.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »
Glad the tablets are working for Gypsy. It is so nice to hear some good news, you must be very relieved.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »
That's really wonderful news.   :D :D :D  Well done you.  I'm interested, however, that Epiphen should be having such a good effect.  Am I right in thinking it's a drug for the treatment of epilepsy?  Does the vet think Gypsy has that condition?  If so, it casts an interesting light on all the previous diagnoses of 'rage'.  Has anyone else tried it with a dog believed to have rage syndrome?