Author Topic: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)  (Read 12203 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Re: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
So glad that things are going well for you both.

Am I right in thinking it's a drug for the treatment of epilepsy?  Does the vet think Gypsy has that condition?  If so, it casts an interesting light on all the previous diagnoses of 'rage'.  Has anyone else tried it with a dog believed to have rage syndrome?

Hasnt there always been a doubt over "rage" with many people belieiving it to be a form of epilepsy? Im sure Ive read that but I may be talking out of my backside
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
Anti-convulsants are referred to on the Rage website as having a positive effect on some dogs - it is great news that it seems to have helped Gypsy  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
My vet is more than convinced that is is 'rage' and they do use these sorts of tablets for it. Trust me I did all the checking up on the tablets before I considered them for Gypsy as I was worried abut her being doped up as then to me that isn't curing a problem. It is just nice to really appreciate and love the real Gypsy. I have always loved her no matter what but I now know she is alot mor settled and happier within herself.

Jools, You did what was right for Millie and to be completely honest with you if it would have been the best thing fotr Gypsy then I would have done the same. I think it makes you a completely  unselfish animal lover who did the right thing for your pet and not for your self :D

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
That's great news. I am so pleased for you....and Gypsy.

Having had to have my Millie PTS last year, I guess I am one of those who did not "stick by" my dog.

Absolutely not Jools - and you know that I read your story about all the heartache and grief you went through with Millie and what a tormented soul she was. I absolutely admire everything you did for Millie and by letting her go you did the best thing for her.

every individual case is different and you did the best you could for Millie just as Kayj has done the best in her way for Gypsy.

I cried so much reading about you and Millie and the journey you shared together.  It must have been truly heartbreaking for you to go through and I echo all the posts from everyone here, you did everything you could do and it was your ultimate gift to Millie to give her freedom from the demons tomenting her.  Run free Millie  :luv:

All the very best of luck with Gypsy, I really hope she continues to progress well.  Keep us updated with how things go with the behaviourist next month.
I'm so happy for you and your family x

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Guys, sorry for hijacking this fantastic and positive thread. You were all brilliant when I was going through the loss of Miss Mills - especially Caroline...and i am sorry for snapping....it's just that not a day goes by when I don't feel like I gave up on Millie.

Lets get back to sharing the good news about Gypsy.

just to lighten the mood; I remember the first tablets I tried from the vet on Millie. In my excitement that something might actually cure her, I went to open her mouth to chuck a tablet in.....forgetting that she wasn't Bramble and wouldn't like that. She was like a bloody crocodile....almost took my hand off.  :005: We moved on to crushing the tablets up and adding them to her food after that.  ph34r
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
You were all brilliant when I was going through the loss of Miss Mills - especially Caroline...and i am sorry for snapping....it's just that not a day goes by when I don't feel like I gave up on Millie.

Its forgotted already!  :-*   ;)

I know how hard you tried and because you loved her you set her free.  :luv:
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »
Hello KayJ I am so glad you have found a treatment that has helped Gypsy. She is adorable.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »
Guys, sorry for hijacking this fantastic and positive thread. You were all brilliant when I was going through the loss of Miss Mills - especially Caroline...and i am sorry for snapping....it's just that not a day goes by when I don't feel like I gave up on Millie.

Lets get back to sharing the good news about Gypsy.

just to lighten the mood; I remember the first tablets I tried from the vet on Millie. In my excitement that something might actually cure her, I went to open her mouth to chuck a tablet in.....forgetting that she wasn't Bramble and wouldn't like that. She was like a bloody crocodile....almost took my hand off.  :005: We moved on to crushing the tablets up and adding them to her food after that.  ph34r

Every single case is different Jools, your case with Millie just wasn't manageable any longer, you did extremely well to manage as long as you did to be honest.

With Billy I know 90% of his "triggers" so I can manage his environment. You didn't have that luxury with Millie.Plus I think Milie was much much worse than Billy & her problems run much deeper.  Living with a dog that is totally unpredictable alot of the time Like Millie was  just isn't possible. Especially when you have young children.

You did everything you possibly could for her, but she couldn't be saved. Like caroline has said, you set her free and she's now at peace  :luv:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 10:03:44 PM »
Fantastic news for Gypsy  :D

Reading this has made my night  :D

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 10:28:18 PM »
Anti-convulsants are referred to on the Rage website as having a positive effect on some dogs - it is great news that it seems to have helped Gypsy  :D

Posted by: kayj  
Insert Quote
My vet is more than convinced that is is 'rage' and they do use these sorts of tablets for it.

Yes, but why do they work?  Sorry - I'm genuinely puzzled rather than being difficult.   ::)  I think it's absolutely wonderful that this drug has helped Gypsy.  But I'd love to know what the thinking is behind prescribing it.  Is there a tentative belief that rage could be a form of epilepsy?  :huh:  Or is it just one of those odd things that crops up in medicine occasionally where a drug used for totally different purposes is found to have a beneficial effect on an unrelated condition?  Any vets, medics, pharmacists or otherwise bright people out there who can put me out of my misery?   :shades:  Or should I just concentrate on being able to use the quoty things properly -- which, self-evidently, I can't.  ::)  Sorry Kayj for mashing your message.  :-*  But I am still thrilled to bits with your news.  :D :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 10:31:26 PM »
Annie - take a look at http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk - it has lots of info on Rage  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »
Annie - take a look at http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk - it has lots of info on Rage  ;)

Thanks but I did that quite a while ago and I'm still none the wiser.  ::) I've also read the stuff on the Burns site by the so-called Dog Whisperer plus a few other bits and bobs on the US sites.  Result?  Even more confusion. I understand that all the work originally being done at Cambridge University Vet School has rather petered out with (in my idiotic layman's language) the conclusion that the non-behavioural side could be seratonin or epilepsy linked or possibly genetically linked to certain blood lines. All a bit uncertain but it's understandable why it's so tricky.  But I am truly puzzled that an epilepsy drug could have such a wonderful effect if the original problem is not an epilepsy variant.  And also concerned that, if it has worked so well on lucky little Gypsy, why it isn't being at least tried more widely.  In my own sad experience, I know of three cockers who were pts without this having been tried.   :'( :'(

And, to add to my puzzlement, one of my favourite correspondents appears to have had a name change.  IWLass - is that you?  :huh: :huh: Where have you gone?  Has a spider got hold of you and changed you forever?   :005: :005:  
A x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2007, 11:27:53 PM »
There are schools of thought which believe that rage is similar to epilepsy as it seems to be a "short in the wiring", as is epilepsy. Therefore some dogs will respond beautifully to anti-seizure meds, as the medication helps keep the circuits going, with no gaps or "loops" (to try to put it into simple language  ph34r) Rage may affect slightly different neural pathways than epilepsy, so rather than get a seizure, the dog goes into a "rage avalanche" (which if you've ever seen a dog coming out of a seizure, or out of a rage episode the behaviour and physical aftermath are identical.)

To clarify: This does not mean that dogs with epilepsy will develop rage, nor does it mean that a dog with rage will have epileptic seizures.

Not many researchers are pursuing rage as a variant of seizures, sadly, as I really personally believe that they are. You really have to dig to find the research on it. I suspect part of the problem is the rarity of true rage, the fact that many are probably PTS without ever getting a diagnosis or even seeking veterinary help in the (mistaken) belief that they have a behavioural problem, and the difficulty that housing and studying rage dogs would present.

I am so happy that the meds have had a positive effect on Gypsy!  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2007, 11:34:26 PM »
I'm really pleased for you both  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
There are schools of thought which believe that rage is similar to epilepsy as it seems to be a "short in the wiring", as is epilepsy. Therefore some dogs will respond beautifully to anti-seizure meds, as the medication helps keep the circuits going, with no gaps or "loops" (to try to put it into simple language  ph34r) Rage may affect slightly different neural pathways than epilepsy, so rather than get a seizure, the dog goes into a "rage avalanche" (which if you've ever seen a dog coming out of a seizure, or out of a rage episode the behaviour and physical aftermath are identical.)

To clarify: This does not mean that dogs with epilepsy will develop rage, nor does it mean that a dog with rage will have epileptic seizures.

Not many researchers are pursuing rage as a variant of seizures, sadly, as I really personally believe that they are. You really have to dig to find the research on it. I suspect part of the problem is the rarity of true rage, the fact that many are probably PTS without ever getting a diagnosis or even seeking veterinary help in the (mistaken) belief that they have a behavioural problem, and the difficulty that housing and studying rage dogs would present.

I am so happy that the meds have had a positive effect on Gypsy!  :D

Thank  you, Spanielcrazy.  That helps a lot.  The reason that I am being so tiresomely persistent is that I, too, think people can be too free with the label.  The people on COL who have been through this have obviously tried every avenue and put themselves through hell.  But in the cases I know of personally near here, the dogs were dead within weeks (and in one case days) of an unqualified person deciding 'rage' was the cause.  And I am certain that in one case at least it was caused by stupid, inconsistent and rather brutal handling of a very highly-strung dog. I tried to take that one on myself but the owners would not even consider it.  It is such a screaming pity that the research along the lines you suggest seems to have stalled.  Gypsy's example proves that it could have great potential.

Still, it's great to know that Gypsy found both such caring owners and a vet informed enough to give her drug therapy and can, hopefully, look forward to a happy life.

Thanks again.