Author Topic: Eukanuba for Cocker Spaniels  (Read 6032 times)

Offline isla

• Site Member
Re: Eukanuba for Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
I feed Burns and occasionally Nature Diet as they have minimal crap in them and are tested ethically.

Arden Grange and Autarky I think are similar.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »
Is there a list somewhere on which food brands that test on animals, or maybe a list of the ones that don't?

I had no idea about eukanuba as most people i know consider it decent food. I'm happy with my dog on royal canin, but I don't know anything about the brand. I would raw feed if I could, but since I 'have' to give her dry food I would feel better knowing more about the food I'm giving her.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
This is the UK list as far as I can tell :blink:  http://www.iamscruelty.com/supportBrandsUK.asp
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »
Thanks  :blink:
Hmm, never heard of any of those brands  :-\  gues I'll have to try and find out if someone has made a list of the food they sell in my two countries.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
Eukanuba was one of the many major foods recalled in the USA  a few months ago as it was made with polluted wheat gluten imported from China.    I used to feed my cocker on Hills Prescription I/D food for his pancreatitis till I discovered that Hills was also involved in the recall in the USA so I feed both of mine on Burns now. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »
Hmm, never heard of any of those brands  :-\  gues I'll have to try and find out if someone has made a list of the food they sell in my two countries.

Mari - not sure where you are, but Arden Grange has stockists across Europe - http://www.ardengrange.com/international-stockists.asp
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
That site is awfull!  >:D I had no idea about iams/euk and considered them to be one of the best manufacturers around.  It just goes to show you.  Where do you get burns from is it widly available?  I have had a look at the list of foods that are not tested in this way and have never really heard of them.  I am right in then presuming that all the foods easily available to us in supermarkets, ie: pedigree, butchers, purina etc are all either tested in these ways or basically contain just rubbish that isnt doing our dogs any favours?  It kind of leaves you unsure of what to feed, especially as iams and hills etc are readily available in vets surgeries.  :huh:

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
A lot of dogs do well on the foods widely available in supermarkets, my first ever cocker would indeed only eat pedigree complete, so they cant be all "bad".

But saying that when you do look into whats in them, who makes them and their animal testing practices (in some cases) then  you do tend to want to move away from feeding them (well I did).

The one thing aside from the animal testing is that all the big names are made by food processing companies and they make dog food to get rid of the by products from that industry and make a huge profit. Did you know for example that kibble is sprayed with old cooking fat so that dogs will think its tasty?

Hills is sold in vets as during their training they do animal nutrition - and guess which company it is that goes in and does the talks? Vets are just led (like us) to believe that its the best food for dogs

The smaller companies such as Arden grange, Burns and Naturediet don't have hidden agendas, they don't have a lot of waste  by products to use at a profit, they don't animal test with vivisection.

It isn't suprising that dog food has only been sold since the supermarkets took off. Before humans started eating processed foods, dogs got whatever was going
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »

Mari - not sure where you are, but Arden Grange has stockists across Europe - http://www.ardengrange.com/international-stockists.asp

Thank you  :blink: But I live in Norway and Hungary,didn't seem to sell it there. in Norway I can probably contact someone who knows about these things, but in Hungary I'll have to feed with what's available in the pet stores and pet pharmacies, since my communication with people there is limited. I'm trying to learn, but theres not enough time between studies to learn a new language. That's why I'm feeding kibble, and because I don't have a freezer  :embarassed:  I would raw feed her if I could.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »
is Hills ID not a good choice ethically/quality wise then? I feed my two arden grange but my parents cocker gets hills senior, I thought it was supposed to be good (before that he was on bakers  ph34r )This forum is very educating!!!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 09:48:24 AM »
Bailey gets dried food as he prefers this so he can pick at it when he likes.  He doesnt like tinned food.  I give him purina- bakers complete as he enjoys it and is thriving on it but does anyone know where they stand on the ethical front?  I used to give him james well beloved organic dried food but he didnt like it, not sure if that is a good one either.  Definately dont fancy BARF

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »
We won a ton of this stuff at crufts the dogs loved it!
they seemed as happy and healthy as ever!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
The only reason I changed my boy from Hills prescription I/D is I felt that if the Hills Kitty prescription was tainted and withdrawn in the USA then I wasnt paying thru the nose for prescription food I had any doubt about.  I contacted Burns thru their web site and their food is actually even lower in fat than the prescription Hills food and charlie has pancreatitis.  also their food is suitable for seniors so that meant I could feed my 12y/o ESS the same food, at a lower cost than I was paying for the prescription food as buying it from the vet meant a hike in price as they also wanted to make a profit from stocking and selling it. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
All dog food in the UK has to list the ingredients - so if you are not sure about the food you are feeding, then take a look at the packet/tin and see what is in it - you might have to google some of the ingredients, but it will definitely surprise you  ;)  Hills i/d contains E150, which is caramel made from sugar (as a colouring and flavouring; as if dogs care what colour it is  ::)) and Fibrim, which is a soy-bean based processed fibre source  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »
is Hills ID not a good choice ethically/quality wise then? I feed my two arden grange but my parents cocker gets hills senior, I thought it was supposed to be good (before that he was on bakers  ph34r )This forum is very educating!!!

Hills not good ethically. They are one of the main companies using invasive animal testing. Nutritionally I don't know, though its probably beter than Bakers!

Bailey gets dried food as he prefers this so he can pick at it when he likes.  He doesnt like tinned food.  I give him purina- bakers complete as he enjoys it and is thriving on it but does anyone know where they stand on the ethical front?  I used to give him james well beloved organic dried food but he didnt like it, not sure if that is a good one either.  Definately dont fancy BARF

Purina ethicially not good, and also owned by Nestle. Sadly, Clive has to live without bonios these days (thank dog for tuna bread!). Bakers are not only part of Purina so ethically bad, but also stuffed full of additives that make lots of dogs hyperactive.

It is a minefield if you are concerned about the ethics, because so many comapnies are owned by the big 2 - Masterfoods / Mars (ie pedigree) and Nestle. LIke Rachel says, there is then also all the wierd ingrediants they seem to feel the need to put in.  >:D

Abby, Clive n Dylan