Author Topic: Eukanuba for Cocker Spaniels  (Read 6036 times)

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
Re: Eukanuba for Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
Think im going to give burns a go.  Bailey loves the bacon streaky things by bakers though but looks like they will have to go too.  It doesnt seem to make him hyper though and the vet said he is in really good condition.  My only reason i wanted a change was that he is sick quite often and gets the runs a fair bit.  Must be the additives

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 04:48:24 PM »
My Weimaraner came to me on Bakers complete and I couldn't believe the colour of the stuff that came out the other end... it was luminous orange! The effort that's gone into making Bakers look 'pretty' with all the different shapes and rainbow colours really puts me off too  :o

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
Hmmm, those bacon thngies - any of those "thingies" are totally evil - just dogs love them - mine included :)

I had always relented with Alfie with the Denta sticks, only when they were on offer and only a half a one at a time, till i noticed he was STINKING. And I mean stinking. I bathed him. two days later I sent him to the groomers, two days after that bathed him again - still stinking. Evil it was, whole house stank of dog. The only thing that had been different was I had just got a pack of those in and had been giving him half a day. Stopped them - and the smell stopped. Just found the last of the packet and thought Id try again - straight away Ive got a stinky dog again.

So now its no more "thingies" ever, just marrow bone bikkies and the bedtime Bonio - just turning a blind eye about the ethics on those as its so few fed  ph34r
Caroline and Alfie

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
Funny you should say that me and OH were wondering why after 2 baths bailey still stinks!

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 08:17:18 AM »
Looking at the list of ingredients, this for one would stop me from buying it "dried whole sodium hexametaphosphate," I looked it up and heres what I found http://chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/inorganic/SODIUM%20HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.htm
Suki1964 i have just Googled the above ingrediant out of curiosity and it's found in a brand of toothpaste QUOTE("But it doesn't stop there! It also contains another whitening ingredient, sodium hexametaphosphate that works with the silica to remove surface stains, whiten teeth and form a protective barrier on the teeth to help prevent new stains.")
Shocking!!!!  :o
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
Storm won some food recently.  We duly trecked over to the Eukanuba stand who had genrously donated the prize and collected our bag of their cocker spaniel food.

As Trischie said the packaging claims the food can be used to help reduce the chance of weight gain, and improve coat.  I gave the bag to a friend (I didnt want to feed it to my dogs  ph34r ).  She has a cavi that gains weight easily, and seems to be fairly resiliant to anything she may eat, and always has a lovely shiny coat!  Her hair went really dull and curly!  The only change the dog had had was the food, and obviously the changing weather conditions, but she didnt get dull and wavy hair last winter!

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Storm won some food recently.  We duly trecked over to the Eukanuba stand who had genrously donated the prize and collected our bag of their cocker spaniel food.

As Trischie said the packaging claims the food can be used to help reduce the chance of weight gain, and improve coat.  I gave the bag to a friend (I didnt want to feed it to my dogs  ph34r ).  She has a cavi that gains weight easily, and seems to be fairly resiliant to anything she may eat, and always has a lovely shiny coat!  Her hair went really dull and curly!  The only change the dog had had was the food, and obviously the changing weather conditions, but she didnt get dull and wavy hair last winter!

Maybe the magic shiny coat ingredients only work on cockers. ::)  :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »
Jimmy was on Eukanuba for quite a while, it was what he'd been fed by his breeder - I changed his food eventually as it made him hyper but can't say it had any negative impact on his coat... he had a fantastic glossy, shiny coat back then although probably this was genetic - but eukanuba certainly didn't harm it. It's not a food I'd use again though, or recommend.

On the ethical debate, I don't tend to believe or trust either side. Iams have a vested interest in what they say so it's a case of 'well they would say that, wouldn't they ?' but PETA also have an agenda and I'm not convinced that they are always entirely truthful either. It's ironic that a large percentage of PETA's money comes from pet owners as the organisation's founders ultimate aim is to do away with pet ownership. Apparently we 'enslave' them... "In a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free
of human interference, and dogs and cats would be part of the ecological scheme" ... "The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats ... If people want toys,they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship,they should seek it with their own kind,"  ::)  :lol:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:03 AM »
My cockerspaniel Jenny 10 was spayed last year due to medical reasons and hassput on over a kilo Vet says it not the spaying She has 140 grammes of purina weight management 4 ukenuba low calorie treats  hwe do not walk as much as we both have had leg problems. She eats just gobbles it down in now time it is so lightI fed her on winalot for nine years no bother Vet says she in good conditon apart from her weight. She still tuns when she sees a rabbit joan
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »
So where do JWB stand on the ethical front then?  I remember once being told that Nutro was not tested on animals though, our boxer was weaned on that

This really is a minefield isnt it?  Could treats given with additives affect the skin of a dog?  Even if not many were fed?

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
Our pup was on Eukanuba and I changed him to Natures Best after trying a few that gave him the runs. Whistler did ok on his puppy food but he does even better on NB he's 9 months now.