Author Topic: Poor Oscar has had an allergic reaction to something!  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
Poor Oscar has had an allergic reaction to something!
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »
My poor baby is really poorly today  :'(

We had a lovely weekend walking in the swiss alps and valleys with all his doggy-school friends. Then this morning he woke up with a really swollen face - twice the size as normal and he was rubbing and itching it constantly. All his lips and eyes were swollen - he looked a right mess.

It was 7am and I had to wait 2 hours before the vets opened. I got the kids up and my eldest off to kindergarten on time, and sat in front of the vets to be the first in the queue. I rang the doorbell and the assistant was very bemused to see me because Tuesday mornings is operation day! Our vet is absolutely amazing and is very kind and caring. He had sterilised his stuff for his morning operations yet, so was happy to see Oscar even though he wasn't officially open.

Apparently he has had a severe allergic reaction to something - maybe stung by something. He was given an injection and should be fine by this afternoon. He is still really itchy though and not very happy.

Has anyone else had any experience with such allergic reactions. I didn't want to spend too much time asking the vet questions, seeing as I wasn't supposed to be there anyway. He started itching in the early hour of this morning (I thought he was roughing his bed a lot). How long would it have taken to start irritating him? I'm wondering if it is something he got in Switzerland, or something while on his night-time walk last night. What kind of things can cause such a reaction? Plants, insects or food?

Thanks for your help

Love Chris & poorly Oscar

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Re: Poor Oscar has had an allergic reaction to something!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »
Hi,

When Callie got stung by a wasp in her mouth (silly thing tried to eat it!) her face expanded but she was't itchy at all, I wonder if it's a plant thing rather than a sting.. though if it is it's going to be hell finding out what it is!

Lainy

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
Something very similar happened to Cosby when he was young, I remember him feeling very sorry for himself.  However, after the injection it went straight down and by the end of the day he was back to his normal self personality and looks. 

We never found out what caused it - he had only been in the garden so the vet thought he may have been stung or had a reaction to one of the plants/weeds.  All I would say is that it's now 3 years later and we still have the same garden and it's never happened again - so it's probably just a one off.  Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:13 PM »
My poor baby is really poorly today  :'(

We had a lovely weekend walking in the swiss alps and valleys with all his doggy-school friends. Then this morning he woke up with a really swollen face - twice the size as normal and he was rubbing and itching it constantly. All his lips and eyes were swollen - he looked a right mess.
Have you checked to see if any of the other dogs were similarly affected?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »
it does sound like a bad reaction to a sting to me but it could well be plant based.

Keep some anti-histimine to hand like Piriton - you can give a childs dose to a dog, and that should help with stings/bites swelling/itching  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:00:59 PM »
Poor Oscar ...hope he is better really soon x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
it does sound like a bad reaction to a sting to me but it could well be plant based.

Keep some anti-histimine to hand like Piriton - you can give a childs dose to a dog, and that should help with stings/bites swelling/itching  ;)

That's what I was going to say.  Hope Oscar is less swollen today :luv:

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:56:39 AM »
Yes, thank you for all your good wishes - he's feeling a lot better now. His swelling went down gradually during the day and he is now his normal self. I'll keep some anti-histamines in the house (probably not a bad idea for the kids too). I checked with the other dogs, and they all seem ok.

On the way to the vets I realised I'd lost my passport on the way back from Switzerland too - what a day  ::) Passport was found in the driver's car though, and I found Oscar's passport out on the street!

Love Chris

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
Sounds very similar to the allergic reaction Gracie (my B&W) had to Benzyl Benzoate. Piriton tablets soon cleared it up  ;) I ALWAYS keep some handy just in case  ;)