Author Topic: rescue  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Graham

• Site Member
rescue
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »
My cocker spaniel Jessie has recently died at 8 years due to liver cancer and I would like another cocker spaniel as they are such a lovely breed. The problem is whether to try for a rescue dog or go for a new puppy with all that that entails ! I would like to hear of other owners experiences and what are the chances of getting a reasonably young rescue spaniel?

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: rescue
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Hi,

If you have a look in the rescue section you will be able to see a selection of the range of cockers that go into rescue.  Some are young 8-months to 2 years, but quite a few seem to be around 3-4 from what I have seen, plus then a few oldies.

There are lots of people who have rescue cockers on here, who will be able to provide you with stories of their dogs. 

It may be worth contacting the Cocker breed rescue co-ordinator for your area.

I don't have a rescue cocker, but foster any breed of dog for Four Paws Animal Rescue. So far I have fostered a puppy and an 18-24 month old, I definitely prefer the older dog to the puppy experience.  The youngest dog at our rescue is a lovely 10 week old Black Spaniel x called Hattie, then they go any age up from there. It will just depend what is in your area,

Em
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to CoL.

I think it's personal choice but I prefer rescues.  A year ago I rescued a 14 month old that has behavioural issues due to cruel treatment.  He has been hard work but very rewarding although will never be as trustworthy as my other one.

There are quite a few that come from puppy farms and require just a little TLC to get them back on their feet while others require more special care.

Emilyjw's suggestion of contacting cocker breed rescue is a good one, or just contact rescues and find out what they have.

So sorry to hear about Jessie you must be devastated.

Good luck.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »
Welcome, Graham. I've nothing to add to the good advice you've been given by the others - just wanted to say sorry to hear about Jessie. x
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Graham

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »
Thanks to you all for your comments and good wishes.I have tried the local cocker rescue but they do not have any spaniels so I will have to widen my field,distance is not a problem as I would go anywhere for the right dog !

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi Graham,

I'm very sorry to hear about Jessie too, I lost my 6 yr old cocker very suddenly earlier this year too and it's devastating..  :'(

I've had 2 cockers from puppy but have also just re-homed a 2.5 yr old Weimaraner. I actually got her by contacting lots of breeders as for various reasons, they sometimes take dogs back that they've bred or hear of pups/older dogs that they've sold that need re-homing. So it might be worth your while giving your details to a few good breeders in case they hear of anything or have any dogs back into their care for re-homing.

Good luck with your search!

Hannah 

ps. My re-homed dog came from a good home but just hadn't seen much of the wider world (or been anywhere she could hunt before!) its been hard work and a bit worrying at times but she's been fantastic and SOOOOO much easier than a puppy! I have a 5 yr old child too so was a bit worried about re-homing but it's worked out really well.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

no advice about rescues sorry, but wanted to say how sorry I was that you lost your dog.

My cocker died aged 8 in August very suddenly and we decided to go for a new puppy. Very hard work but Hamish is now 14 weeks and adorable

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »
Take a look at the Many Tears website.  There's a lovely cocker that's just come on there but, if he looks like a potential new member of the family, you will have to move very fast.  Good luck.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:24:13 AM »
So sorry to hear about Jessie - you must be devastated  :'( :'(

Have a look at Bob at Many Tears - he looks lovely  :luv:  He won't be there long though, the cockers always seem to go quickly.  :D Good luck in your search.
Julie and Watson

Offline Graham

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
Hi Jules,
               Thanks for your tip about Many Tears I have
been in contact with them and Bob is being held for us and we have been successfully home vetted today and plan to see Bob on Sunday and bring him home with us.He does look lovely ! can't wait to meet him. Thanks again for the intro !!! 

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »
That's good news.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
Thats fantastic news. Fingers crossed it all goes well  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
Oh, fantastic - I am soooo pleased for you  :D  I hope your meeting goes well on Sunday and you can bring him home - how fab, it means we will be able to hear about him on here.  :luv: That's the law you know, you have to update us on his progress  :shades:  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »
BRILLIANT!!!

Fingers crossed all goes well on Sunday, can't wait to see some more pics of him... so pleased for you.

Good luck!
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 06:38:59 PM »
What wonderful news!!!  :D

Bob is  :luv: :luv: :luv:  I hope you will be bringing him home!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne