Author Topic: castration  (Read 3268 times)

Cazzie

Re: castration
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
I have heard previous stories about neutered dogs tying with bitches in season....which is why I wonder how effective it would be as a solution for dogs who show stress/anxiety/excitement when they smell a bitch. Obviously it prevents them actually siring pups - but presumably, they may well try to escape/run off if they smell a bitch even if they are neutered?  :huh:

Leave a male dog too long to be neutered in a situation where there are entire females in their home is asking for trouble, yes a neutered male dog left too long to be castrated can tie with a female and is far from an ideal situation and can cause problems

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
I have heard previous stories about neutered dogs tying with bitches in season....which is why I wonder how effective it would be as a solution for dogs who show stress/anxiety/excitement when they smell a bitch. Obviously it prevents them actually siring pups - but presumably, they may well try to escape/run off if they smell a bitch even if they are neutered?  :huh:

Leave a male dog too long to be neutered in a situation where there are entire females in their home is asking for trouble, yes a neutered male dog left too long to be castrated can tie with a female and is far from an ideal situation and can cause problems

So, are you saying that it is only dogs that are castrated after they have matured that show interest in bitches are they are neutered.....?   (not all of them, obviously, but those that do were neutered older?)

That has big implications - the advice most frequently given here on COL is to wait until the dog has matured before having his done....but I think you are saying that it may be too late to address behavioural problems then? :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »

So, are you saying that it is only dogs that are castrated after they have matured that show interest in bitches are they are neutered.....?   (not all of them, obviously, but those that do were neutered older?)

That has big implications - the advice most frequently given here on COL is to wait until the dog has matured before having his done....but I think you are saying that it may be too late to address behavioural problems then? :huh:

Im not saying that directly as it depends on each and every dog and situation as we know, Goose was castrated at 13 or so months and has never shown interest in the girls. Now if he had been left till 2 or 3 I know for a fact that in my situation he would have, so if I had waited till he was 2 or 3, I may have problems on my hand. Otter on the other hand is still a baby and I have been recommended by my vet that due to his big bone structure it is advisable to leave his castration till the same age as Goose, but if he is a highly sexed driven dog by the girls and I will know this when it happens (taking into consideration his male puppy immaturity) as it is natural for dogs to sniff including bitches, but if he proves to be highly sexually driven then I may have to have him done earlier than 12 months, but I really dont want to. My statement was relating to male dogs that are older ie 2 or 3 that are allowed to develop their sexual brain and know what their rear undercarriage is still there for, get them neutuered and their is still a high chance that they will still be interested in the girls and if left alone with a welcoming bitch in heat they will mate and tie, yes no puppies will be produced, but is taking a big chance in causing problems with that bitch.

Bringing me and my opinion that if you have more than one dog which includes bitches one or the other dogs must be neutered at an age that suits the dog  :D

Does this make sense as its a hard one to translate from my brain to type  :-\ ::) :005:

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
All very helpful thanks guys!!  Didn't realise neutered dogs still showed interest in bitches though.   Bailey has never met an in season bitch so don't know how he would react, and he has only ever tried humping one other dog (he apologises to donna26's harvey  ph34r especially as he got the wrong end !). 

So generally the advice is - if getting a bitch to get her spayed as the risk of cancer is higher than in dogs, even though the op is more straightforward for a dog.

On the subject of pup or rescue, I think it will be tricky to find the right rescue dog for my situation especially having 2 young children.   :blink:

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »
All very helpful thanks guys!!  Didn't realise neutered dogs still showed interest in bitches though.   Bailey has never met an in season bitch so don't know how he would react, and he has only ever tried humping one other dog (he apologises to donna26's harvey  ph34r especially as he got the wrong end !). 

So generally the advice is - if getting a bitch to get her spayed as the risk of cancer is higher than in dogs, even though the op is more straightforward for a dog.

On the subject of pup or rescue, I think it will be tricky to find the right rescue dog for my situation especially having 2 young children.   :blink:

You seek professional advice on the subject as to what will suit you and your family  :D I will however tell you that 3 out of 6 bitches my mother has owned (she never got her bitches speyed ever) had to be speyed because of womb problems later on in their lives and 2 of them had mammary tumours. Im a first in our family to have male dogs  :005:

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 07:28:19 AM »

Don't blame you after that!  I'm thinking a dog would be my preference, but it depends what come up and on the dogs personality.  There is no rush  :D
You seek professional advice on the subject as to what will suit you and your family  :D I will however tell you that 3 out of 6 bitches my mother has owned (she never got her bitches speyed ever) had to be speyed because of womb problems later on in their lives and 2 of them had mammary tumours. Im a first in our family to have male dogs  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »
agree that it's an individual decision....and it's a very curious thing.

it totally confuses me...this morning Jarv (entire) and his mate alfie (working cocker, neutered) were on their walk and met an entire girlie lab - Jarv sniffed and wandered off to find more interesting pheasant smells while Alfie tried to hump her....  :huh:

we have Fudge (entire girl) to stay quite often, and Apple, (entire springer girl) and Jarv has not tried once to hump either - when we meet Alfie on walks, he always has a go at either girl ::)  When I was walking Claire's Mocha, Jarv ignored her (she was having a phantom pregnancy - Alfie and another neutered boy did not ignore her.... ::) )

In this instance I would say that neutering was the right decision for Alfie  :shades: :005:

If i did get a bitch I would spay her, on balance to me the medical risks seem higher than for a boy.  I do detest checking Jarv's bits, but at the moment there's no issue in him being entire.

but.... Never say Never  :lol:

Jarv has been around a bitch in season (one of those walks where a bitch bounces up to you offlead and shoves her bum in Jarv's face and you get from the owner 'oh by the way she's in season!') and yes, he was keen, and it was very frustrating...for him and us (as he was unsettled and whiney for a couple of days). 

We'll see what transpires.  We are very very careful, you just have to be with an entire dog.
helen & jarvis x

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »
I have found a very useful side to having a castrated dog in a breeding kennel.  As previously noted castrati can tie and turn just as well as an entire animal. ;)

I had a castrated dog which only was interested in mating my bitches at the most fertile stage of their seasons.  So that was an indicator of when to take the bitch to the real stud dog. I never had a missed mating when he was around. :D

In addition none of my bitches were frightened by the stud dog.  They had already been initiated by Jumble, my castrati,  into being mated, tied, and turned by a dog they knew and liked. :luv:

(Unlike human castrati,  who only have a high register,  my dog would join the rest of the pack in the full range of canine howlings from basso to soprano!) :005:

Offline brightsparkler

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
just had my cocker castrated.
which is a real shame because he would have made a good show dog and a stud, i have always had cocker's and have 2 at the moment just lost one to cancer just before Christmas. And poor Dooley is the most laid back cocker i have ever come across.
He is a solid black and had to be castrated at 11 months because 1 of his testicles did not drop so we had to have him done for medical reason and to stop future problems.
Had him done on Monday and the poor little fellow is still in a lot of discomfort and crys at night given me and his mum sleepless nights at the moment. Also he does not like his cone round his head to stop him licking his wound causing manic with every thing he crashes into. The poor little fellow is still not himself,
just hoping he recovers for the east Kent col meet up on the 20th. My opinion is if its not needed then it should not be done but in some  cases and depending on  peoples circumstances some times its kinder to have it done.

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
All very helpful thanks guys!!  Didn't realise neutered dogs still showed interest in bitches though.   Bailey has never met an in season bitch so don't know how he would react, and he has only ever tried humping one other dog (he apologises to donna26's harvey   especially as he got the wrong end !). 

only just read this, harvey accepts   :005:  :005:, ok this may sound gross but we have noticed harvey humping his bed alot recently and we are starting to have to wash it all the time  ph34r hes getting a bit randy  :005:

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 01:54:30 PM »
are you going to get him done?

Offline donna26

• Site Member
  • Harvey
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 08:01:55 PM »
not sure really never really thought about are you?

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »
not decided yet.  dean doesnt want to but i do.