Author Topic: Dreading Going for Walks  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Dreading Going for Walks
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »
change your routine, put on the clothes and stop in your tracks if they kick off.
teach a rock solid down stay and put them in it.
Have you ever taught a relaxed down? It's the first thing I teach all my dogs.
Remember the premack principle.
You eat your greens you get your desert.
Or in this case you lie quietly or no walk.
I do this routine where the boys jump out the van only on their name and sit while I close and lock it up, out of the corner of my eye I can see them waiting to explode with all their pent up energy but I make them wait and go back and reward them for sitting nicely. I then walk about twenty yards ahead of them before they are released and then it's bedlam but on my terms.
I even took them out in the van and did this in and out routine and did no walk on a number of occasions.
I would not put up with it and I am sorry but although the dog owning public of the UK believe it to be gospel there is no law that you must take your dog for a walk every single day although you do need to stimulate and spend quality time with them everyday.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and thanks Mark.  Just one thing though what's the difference between a relaxed down and ordinary down?

I shall have to start being tougher on them.  I need to concentrate on getting them to behave rather than being obsessed with them having a walk.  When better to do it but during this appalling weather  :005:
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
I shall have to start being tougher on them.  I need to concentrate on getting them to behave rather than being obsessed with them having a walk.  When better to do it but during this appalling weather  :005:

Agree with what you're saying except I think it's myself I have to be tougher with.  ;)

Thanks for the help Mark, much appreciated. :shades:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I have this problem when lois comes to stay[sons cocker) he sets jenny off I have mentioned this in another thread I was fed up with the barking the other day so i said right we are going home. No speaking to them , went out  half a hour later not a peep until lois saw a pheasent. Things are a lot better but if they start home we go.       
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and thanks Mark.  Just one thing though what's the difference between a relaxed down and ordinary down?

They are relaxed and laying in a comfortable position flipped over on one hip rather than in the Sphinx position. ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
They are relaxed and laying in a comfortable position flipped over on one hip rather than in the Sphinx position. ;)

Thank you so much.

Right new leaf as from today, any barking when getting me and them ready and they don't go, any barking whilst on lead out and we go back home and any barking in the car and we turn around.

They're not going to get many walks for 6 months  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »
Mine go doolally when they even think I'm out to walk them but must admit it is a lot worse when there are 3. I made them all sit in line in the yard while I got myself sorted so it cut down some of the noisy time (one neighbour asked another dog walker the other week if Battersea dog's home had moved in down the road ::) :005:)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »
one neighbour asked another dog walker the other week if Battersea dog's home had moved in down the road ::) :005:

ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »
one neighbour asked another dog walker the other week if Battersea dog's home had moved in down the road ::) :005:

ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r ph34r :005:

I have understanding neighbours but there's only so much they can take and I'm sure they think the same thing.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
we're working on this with ours too.  We have started putting on the harnesses, then going and sitting down then when calm put the leads and things on.

Bracken hates stopping and will scream so am working on her with this as well, just getting her to stop for a few seconds at a time and building up along the walk.  The strangest thing is in the house she doesn't make a sound, she might bark once a week and will make a little whimpery sound when she gets herself stuck on the chair/ windowsill etc...

It's always nice knowing your not alone.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

Honey just seems to be getting worse - I have to sit half way up the stairs to put my boots on otherwise she eats my laces, and once I get my coat she just starts hanging off the edge of it (not doing my coat any favours that).  I keep asking her to sit, and won't progress until she does, but as she's only 4 1/2 months she doesn't contain her excitement for very long...  >:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
I am so glad you posted this Louise!

I really thought I was the only one with these crazy, psycho, screaming lunatics!! :lol:

Luckily my neighbours are the nicest people I think you could ever meet and have never complained once since we moved here!

I agree that it is worse with more than one dog - before we got Honey, Molly still got excited when I got her lead out and did the barking thing but as soon as we got outside she was quiet, now though its a totally different story!!  ::)

They both charge around the kitchen screaching and barking like mad. While i try and get one dogs lead on the other is jumping up at me!! Then when we are outside it is pretty much the same for about 5 mins then they calm down!

Oh the joys of owning & loving dogs!!  :luv:

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline PennyB

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »
This is mine sulking cos I made them all sit still and be quiet while I faffed round with keys etc.

All I can say is that my neighbours are at least eternally grateful I don't do early morning walks ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
PennyB's three gorgeous well behaved cockers, aren't they great?  Teal has almost taught herself that tearing in the house about just doesn't lead to a walk!  The old springer used to get under my feet in the morning, but T just sat in the corner, very patient, with a "aren't I a good dog" look on her little face.  Then when we get back from a walk T sits like PennyBs dogs and waits whilst I unlock the garage door and put the recycling stuff out  :luv:

I actually feel quite proud of her as she knows not to get out of the car until she is told (I have an estate with a double cage in it), we open the tailgate, and the crate doors and no-one moves until told to. :angel:

Now, if only I could master this barking at people walking past (she can see out the window) and barking when she hears something through the party wall (we live in an end terrace), and sometimes barking at other dogs when we are walking (she's picky!?); we wil have cracked it.     

I do feel better knowing I'm not the only one with the occasional problem (although she is fast asleep on the sofa now, bless her!)

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Penny, yours are so well behaved  :luv:

I've been making them sit and putting on collars, leads etc then if they bark take them off again and go and sit down.  I've also been making several outfit changes a night.  I think this one is going to be a long road to success but I shall persevere.

Individually they are fine I get the odd bark but they will sit quietly.  I shall lead walk them individually for a bit to get them used to sitting/lying still whilst I get ready.

OH took all 3 of them out for me yesterday and they were as good as gold for him.