Author Topic: Biggest Size of Litter  (Read 6309 times)

lynseyloo

Biggest Size of Litter
« on: February 04, 2004, 07:55:19 AM »
I had a dream last night, dont ask me why but Gillys Buttons had a litter of pups and she had 14!!!  so this got me thinking... what is the largest litter of cockers known??  Buttons puppies were lovely in my dream  :lol:  :lol:

I know this probably should go in breeding etc..but I am only interested in the replies and not looking to 'breed' so I started it here.. feel free to move it though ;-)

And apart from that does anyone know a therapist to stop me having weird dreams..  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:51:46 AM »
Don't know the answer to this one, but Wilf was one of nine pups (and Ruby one of eight) and from what I gather they were an extremely lively confident bunch                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 09:02:07 AM »
There has been quite a few ten's but that is the most I've heard of.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »
I have heard of litters of 12 in Cockers but they often don't all survive with such a big litter. Litters of 9 or 10 are not that uncommon though thankfully we've never had more than 7 or 8 - more than enough for me & for Mum :lol:                    
Jane

lynseyloo

Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:24:03 AM »
and there was me thinking 14 was a ridiculous thing to dream, but its not that far off..  :wink:

cant possibly imagine having to feed 14 of the litle rugrats though..poor mummy..  

Jane the litter with 12, would they have been small babies though?? or just normal sized?  it just seems to me that there wouldn't be much room for such a large litter.  :?:  

Edited to add, I meant..with the above when you say they normally dont all survive with such a big litter, is that cos they are small and underdeveloped becasue of lack of oom to nourish and grow??  sorry this just fascinates me.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 10:32:46 AM »
Well I sure hope Butty doesn't have 14  :shock: not that she's pregnant of course...unless there's something she's not telling me  :shock:  she does spend alot of time beind the garden shed though  :wink:  :o

I'd be interested to know if large litters are heriditory (sp?). Butty is from a litter of 10  :shock: from my recollection...half of the litter were built like sherman tanks and the other half were quite petite (Butty being one of the latter) or that may have been the difference between dogs and bitches?? hard to tell with 10 of them running around your feet  :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 03:49:53 PM »

Jane the litter with 12, would they have been small babies though?? or just normal sized?  it just seems to me that there wouldn't be much room for such a large litter.  :?:  

No they would be very small. The last Cocker litter of 12 I heard of, only a couple of puppies survived sadly :(

Litter size does seem to be partly genetic - we've noticed that in our lines anyway (not that I want to worry you Gilly :lol:)                    
Jane

lynseyloo

Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 03:57:32 PM »
oh poor babies...  :cry:   and is there anyway of breeding.. to reduce the size of litter?? I mean if you know shes likely to have a large one? or do you get what you get?? I spose you do.. but I was wondering  :?:                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 04:41:48 PM »
The largest I have heard of (& seen) were 13 puppies, all survived.
From an orange roan bitch. This was a few years ago, I think the same bitch has since had another big litter of 10 or 11, can't remember now.

My largest litter has been 7 puppies, had a few of those.

Funny but Parti-colours tend to have bigger litters than solids, on the whole.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 04:52:46 PM »

Litter size does seem to be partly genetic - we've noticed that in our lines anyway (not that I want to worry you Gilly :lol:)

:shock:  Jane what are you trying to do to me  :wink:  :lol:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »
If my experiences are anything to go by, they back up Kims comments completely.
Meg my parti bitch has had two litters, the first of 8 with 6 surviving and the second litter had 10 pups of which again 6 survived. The second litter had to be delivered by caesarean section as Meg's muscles just didn't have enough room to contract to push them out.
Neneh my black has only had 1 litter and that produced just 3 pups, of which Otis 8)  was one  :D                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 01:02:48 AM »

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 07:13:17 AM »

:shock:  Jane what are you trying to do to me  :wink:  :lol:

We have noticed bitches from large litters tend to produce large litters too. I noticed that the bitches are also fairly consistant with the numbers in subsequent litters.
Lynseyloo, I know of breeders who mate a little earlier or a little later than they would normally to reduce the size of a litter. I personally think you will get what you get whatever you do. The mothers of large litters do work very hard but if they are fed a good quality food and looked after, they cope very well. I like to start weaning a little earlier with a large litter to help mom out.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

lynseyloo

Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 07:46:18 AM »
well thankyou for all your replys to this..its facinating stuff..  mind you Jessies been looking at me as if to say.. "you do realise you spayed me last year don't you"  :lol:  dafty bum..  :wink:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Biggest Size of Litter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 10:26:12 AM »
Quote from: "tracey
We have noticed bitches from large litters tend to produce large litters too. I noticed that the bitches are also fairly consistant with the numbers in subsequent litters.
Lynseyloo, I know of breeders who mate a little earlier or a little later than they would normally to reduce the size of a litter. I personally think you will get what you get whatever you do. The mothers of large litters do work very hard but if they are fed a good quality food and looked after, they cope very well. I like to start weaning a little earlier with a large litter to help mom out.
Tracey :)[/quote

Are you lot trying to scare me  :shock:  :lol:  Thank god i've had 2 kids and used to the sleepless nights (still have a 5 year old who wakes up once through the night  :roll: ) Hopefully she will take everything in her stride when the time comes...and it will me that will be flapping and running around like a headless chicken  :lol: