Author Topic: Ticklish or scared? What to do?  (Read 499 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Ticklish or scared? What to do?
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
It's a bit of a job to cut off Charlie's sideburns and any other long fur from around his head/face as well as from the feet, because he appears to be either ticklish or just frightened of the scissors.  :-\ He flinches a lot, and I'm really scared of catching him with the scissors. I always get OH to hold him (on the table with a non-slip mat underneath, and OH struggles to hold him still.  :shades:

What do you think I could/should do?? :huh:

Silke

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Ticklish or scared? What to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »
I've found that it is the sound of the scissors that seems to bother some dogs. What I do is "air scissor" around their heads, just rapidly opening and closing the scissors near their heads, while slowly moving the scissors around to top, sides and underneath. In the meantime I am talking to them in soothing tones, or perhaps a morsel of a treat.

I also take the (closed!) scissors and use them to rub and scratch their heads, chins and muzzles again talking and praising.

That's how I train puppies and work with scared older dogs whose heads require a lot of scissoring. First do the "scissor massage", then on to the air scissoring, then I can generally get in a few cuts, with tons of calm quiet praise. That part is important, keep your voice low and calm "what a goooood puppy!", so they don't get all excited and you have to try to get them calmed down and start all over again ::) 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline silke

• Site Member
Re: Ticklish or scared? What to do?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
Thanks, Michelle - I'll try that.  :D Will give OH some titbits to feed him. ;)