Author Topic: Will he EVER learn not to pull?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
Will he EVER learn not to pull?
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »
Ok, I've been listening to all advice, been to the seminar, read the books and now I'm DETERMINED to see it through:

Dog pulls, stop walking and bring dog to sit and wait until he calms down, start walking (repeat from step one).

The last 3 days I have been walking about 5 steps at a time. We set off again, he walks forward until the lead is taught again. Ok, ,he has stopped the lunging now,  but I want to be able to walk more than a few steps at a time. The neighbours must think I'm completely nutty because I'm just hanging around the streets.

WILL HE EVER GET THE MESSAGE?

Offline sal

• Site Member
  • Oska
Re: Will he EVER learn not to pull?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
oooh must be something in the name as my Oska does exactly the same and he is two in May  ph34r 

Do keep it up though thats my mistake, if he's stopped lunging thats a start so keep going and stuff the neighbours  ;)

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
Keep at it, it will eventually sink in but you must NEVER allow him to pull and get anywhere. You could add a click and treat when he comes back to your leg to reinforce thats where you would like him to be, might speed things up a bit ;)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »

This article gives some good tips  ...

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/leash-walking/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
What about clicker training him not to pull/walk on a loose leash

Also are there times when you're in a rush and lettting him pull because you haven't the time to teach him not to --- if so walk him on a suitable harness at those times
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »
I've been teaching Monty to walk nicely on the lead, with good results, he sure can pull. I have found walking him next to a wall makes a great deal of difference. He then can't pull sideways. I am very pleased with his walking at the moment. I have just had him out for an hours onlead walk and he was pretty good till we saw some seagulls.  When he did pull. I stopped asked him to sit [ he's getting better at that] and clicked and treat. We still have a long way to go as I don't think he has had any training, and as he is such a big "cocker" I can't have him pulling me over. You just got to keep at it and don't allow him to pull at all.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:22 PM »
How long have you been working on it Julie?

We've been out again the last few days and I've been making sure he NEVER pulls. Even with the buggy, I managed to sensibly stop him pulling and hold the lead taught for the few steps until I caught up with him and made him sit. He is getting very good at sitting,  but just was not relaxed this morning. Even while sitting, he was still sniffing the air and raring to go. I walked him to the river, taking about 10 mins each way (normally only takes 1 minute) and then we walked along the river without his lead on.

He is a lot better on his evening walks. Maybe less dogs/bitches have been around the area then.

Thanks for all your encouragement everyone. I am DETERMINED to keep at it this time - even we keep at this pace for the next 14 years!!!!

Wish me luck....

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
How long have you been working on it Julie?

Erm 2 days  :lol2: Have only had him 2 weeks. He is great on his own but if I have the others with me they all start pulling.  My other two are great walking with the pushchair, I think it's cos I run them over a couple of times  :o. Little Ellie pulls like a train she is the hardest one to crack even on her own. But the gentle leader does work with her, although I don't use it much because I want her to walk properly on a normal collar. Sasha walks nicely on the lead. You just got to keep at it.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.