Author Topic: Drying up milk  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Drying up milk
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:51:45 PM »
Help please

Do any of you have any good ideas for drying up milk from lactating bitches :?:   Now that Laneys milk has turned sour she appears to now have more than when she was trying to feed the bubbas :? .  I've cut her food right back and kind of limited her water, this is difficuit to do with the other 3 around.  One friend has suggested epsom salts but another friend said that when she had to dry up her milk from her last child the epsom slts made her unwell  :( so naturally i don't want upset her now that she is starting to get well

Any advice will be gratefully received :wink:

Torie and Laney x                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Drying up milk
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:10:13 AM »
If you want to try an alternative remedy, you could order some Urtica Urens 3C (homeopathic remedy) Make sure you get the low potency though as the higher potencies are used to increase milk production :wink: Dorwest stock this remedy & I think I'd go along this route rather than the old Epsom salts :lol:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
Drying up milk
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 08:10:58 AM »
I agree with Jane - I have had sucess with using Urtica Urens.  It is both useful for helping to establish the supply in the early days where it seems slow, and can also help where there is an over- abundance of milk.  Pulsatilla can also be useful particularly where there is a lot of heat or engorgement.                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Drying up milk
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 12:19:59 PM »
Thank you both for your help.  i gave her the Urtica Urens 3C and it worked really well and fast :)   Seems strange though as i had been giveing her the 30C to get her into milk in the 1st place :?  :wink:  :)

Torie and  Laney x                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx