Author Topic: BARF v's JWB  (Read 3781 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
BARF v's JWB
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:22:46 AM »
I have had Charley on Butchers and mixer, his poos are just terrible, so am ready to swap to dry food.  I have read many threads and been on the websites of all the ones suggested, the closest stockist (round the corner from me, and they deliver free) is the BARF, but i must say after being on their website, i am a little confused with what it actually is?? I keep reading the word 'raw'.  The next closest is JWB, my vets sell it - but now i dont know which to choose? Any info would be helpful.

thanks

maria

REUBY DOOO!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: BARF v's JWB
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:30:25 AM »
BARF is a raw diet, it stands for Bones And Raw Food. It's a completely different thing from dry kibble. With a BARF diet the dog eats raw meat, bones and a small amount of veggies and offal  :P

If you are thinking of having a go with it you'll find many COLers on BARF and lots of threads about it. You will definitely want to read and research it (and I think you'll be convinced of the benefits  ;)) before you jump in.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
As spanielcrazy said BARF & JWB are two completely different things.

I feed BARF to 3 of my dogs. During the course of a week they are fed raw chicken wings, raw lamb breast (ribs), beef mince, tinned sardines, raw egg with shells, heart, kidney, liver, tripe, turkey necks, chicken backs (carcasses) and pulped raw veg. The also have some supplements usually Dorwest Keepers Mix & Salmon Oil.
I found out about it on this forum and read a lot of threads about it. I then went and read some of the books recommended and did my own research. In the beginning it did take me a bit to get my head round it and to get organised. I also had to buy a new big freezer!

I've have tried my hardest not to feed my dogs additives, colourants etc after my Lab used to bounce off the wall when she'd had them. So I was attracted to feeding BARF and knowing exactly what they were eating.

It does take a bit more organising than buying a bag of kibble but for me its well worth it but I do understand that its not for everyone.

JWB is James Wellbeloved dried kibble. It is one of the better kibbles and doesn't not contain additives, colourings, preservatives and rubbish that some of the mass produced brands do.  You can purchase JWB online to be delivered at home.

Other options along those lines are Burns, Arden Grange, Autarky. All of those can too be purchased online for delivery.

JWB -  http://www.wellbeloved.com/

Burns - http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Arden Grange - http://www.ardengrange.com/

Autarky - http://www.autarky-foods.com/

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »
I honestly didnt know you could feed raw food to dogs   ::) ::) although when you think about it logically, what did they used to eat before tinned/dried dog food, makes sense raw food.  I always used to get meat bags from my butchers to feed our first dog - but i used to cook them (smelt awful), i think i need to do some research on this.  I really dont like just giving him dried dog food, cant bear to look at him while he crunches them for his breakfast.  I bought some tins of sardines for him and he loved the first tin, but again i dont know how much to give him weekly, iv just given him a raw egg and oh i loved watching him egg something he really enjoyed.  (nice shell mess all over the floor now)  :005: I think a trip to the library to read into this is called for.

Is the BARF just frozen raw food that you could get from the butchers?? Are all the raw meats you mentioned from BARF? Sorry if i sound a little silly, but im trying to get my head around it all.

Thanks for your replies  :luv:

My partner is here now, just wait till i tell him Charley has had a raw egg - with shell  :D :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:34:07 PM »
Don't worry it confused the heck out of me when I first looked into it as well  ;)....BARF isn't a brand of food like JWB or Burns etc. that you can buy in a shop, but a home made diet - as others have said it stands for Bones And Raw Food. . It's also known as 'RAW feeding'. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on here.

Try this link for some info to begin with, then you can decide if it's for you, or not!

http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/showcontent.toy?contentnid=7232

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
I have done nothing but read about feeding dogs a raw diet today - and i really do think its the best way to go for Charley.  I must say i am rather worried as some things are very contradicting (chicken wings and vegetables for example) I am going to do some more research, speak to local butchers regarding supplies, look into costing etc before i decide definitely. There is a local meat place that a friend gets all her meat for her family quite cheaply, i will give her a ring to see where it is and maybe have a ride to see whats available.  I am so excited and worried at the same time.  ::)

Can i just say a big thanks for all your replies!  :D :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
Can me and Charley just say a big thank you to everyone on here.  You have introduced me to another world - so far my charley has eaten sardines, raw egg, and is now happily chewing away on a raw carrot! I feel so much better that he isnt just sitting eating that boring food that i put down for him ever day - as for the tinned food, dont even go there poop wise! I love this little dog so much, and his happiness is mine!  :luv: :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
  I am so excited and worried at the same time.  ::)

We all were when we started out!  :005: The first time I fed chicken wings I practically had the car running and the vet pre-dialed on the mobile  ph34r :lol2:

It's kind of confusing at first, but then it becomes very easy, especially if you have just one dog, just buy a bit extra of whatever you are getting for yourself.

Have you read this thread?

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22308.0
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
I have saved the thread so i can keep reading a bit at a time!

Yes my partners face when i told him about the chicken wings, it was a 'oh no you cant give him chicken bones' look - bless him! But i fear il be the same as you when i do it for the first time, i think im going to gradually introduce BARF as im still unsure what to do - maybe just the odd bit of raw bones/meat until im a bit more confident. Well of course if thats allowed???

Just a big thank you to you all for opening my eyes about all this.  And hopefully a bigger woof/thanks from Charley!

Were all off to Rivington Pike for a nice walk.  Im sure il be back with more of my questions  ::) sorry

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »

As long as you don't feed raw in the same meal as dried food, there shouldn't be a problem phasing BARF in - we currently give Honey a couple of chicken wings and a couple of eggs a week, but are looking at doing mornings kibble (mainly in her treat ball to keep her occupied when I head out to work) and evenings BARF.  I just need to figure out exactly what I need to get her!!!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
Kibble and raw meat are digested at different rates and it is often recommended that there should be 12 hours between the two. It very much depends on the dog. My cocker adapted to a complete BARF menu without any tummy/bowel upset almost straight away but my older dogs took quite a bit longer and had to be done at a slower pace.

There are people who continually part feed BARF and part feed Kibble, particularly if your dog is likely to go into kennels. I haven't come across a kennel yet that will feed BARF!  :005:

There is often confusion with chicken bones. You must never feed a dog cooked chicken bones. Cooking makes the bones brittle and therefore they could splinter causing damage to your dog. However raw chicken bones are ok to feed your dog. Until I started raw feeding I'd not got intimate with chicken bones but I discovered that I (confirmed weakling) could snap a wing bone.

Like was said earlier I had 50 fits when I first fed a wing to Barney, I even fished it out of his mouth half way through eating it.  :o I panicked.  :embarassed: Five minutes later I took a deep breath and gave him it back and he was fine.  ::)
It is perfectly possible for a dog to choke on a piece of kibble, in the early days I kept that fact in mind!

I struggled with amounts in the beginning and had a lot of help from my marvellous friend RhonaW who had swapped to BARF a few weeks earlier.

A couple of key facts; a dog does not need to get everything he needs nutritionally in the space of a day look to do it over the space of a week.
Secondly on how much to feed. Books give you basic ratio's which are a good starting point, after that its as simple as if they are getting a bit skinny feed them more or if they are getting a bit weighty feed them less.

If I think of anything else vital I'll come back!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »
Hi there....Lola is partially BARF fed. 
I get her chicken wings from Sainsbury's basics range.  OH went today and got two packs one was £1.07 and one was £1.10, they had 10/11 wings in each - I then freeze them.
Its cheaper than my local pet suppliers bags of frozen pet grade chicken wings  :o
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
im just going to do my research and try to get my head around all the info  :005: i :005: dont want to jump in head first then find out in a months time, that its way to expensive or impossible to get the things charley needs.  I think im scared too, i remember feeling this way once id weaned my son - i felt that his nutrition was solely in my hands if you understand what i mean?  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »
I started out buying from the supermarket, butcher and PAH. With four dogs, a Lab, Golden Retriever, English Cocker and American Cocker it cost me about £5 more a week to feed them.

I use Landywoods now, a company that supplies meat for animals. A draw back is that the minimum order amount is £50 and you get a lot for your money so I had to buy a new big freezer. To give you an idea £55 will feed my four dogs for six weeks. All that is added to that are tins of sardines, veg and eggs.

I couldn't find a butcher that would supply me lamb breast so I used to feed pork ribs instead.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
One of the reasons I feed a mixed BARF/kibble diet is that it gives me reassurance that my dogs are getting the nutrition they need from the kibble, even if I don't quite get the BARF right  ;)

I feed a lot of raw rabbit; it is free, or very cheap, from locals who shoot for pest-control (especially now I have taught myself to skin/gut them!)  This has the advantage of being wild and therefore free-range and reasonably organic  :D I try and avoid buying intensively reared meat; which includes the petgrade and budget supermarket brands  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club