Author Topic: BARF v's JWB  (Read 3776 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Re: BARF v's JWB
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 12:09:03 AM »

Yes he is supposed to eat it all! But that will come in time.  ;) It took my Golden Retriever 50 minutes to eat 1 chicken wing for the first few meals and he was an adult! They all eat their bones differently too. My Lab virtually inhales them, has a few crunches and they're gone. My American Cocker strips all the meat off a rib bones, then "plays" with it a bit before eventually eating the bone.

Oh good.  I dont think his little teeth were strong enough for it  :005: I dont think im that concerned with the meat side of BARF as iv got a good idea of what it is he will eat now, im more concerned with the veg side, especially reading the thread about herbs. I supose i just need to bite the bullet and go for it otherwise il never know how to do it! Thanks for the advice  :D :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
a rib bone might be rather heavy going to start with, wings will crunch down more eaily, and as he gets stronger in the jaw, you will find that ribs go down as easily!

I agree tho, the debate could go on forever and people will feed what suits them and their dog at the end of the day, but I still hold with "variety is the spice of life" ....... ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
I once went to a breed club seminar.  The morning was led by a highly qualified vet from a Scottish university talking about lymphoma.  The afternoon was led by an enthusiastic springer man throwing chicken wings to his three canine helpers, and extolling the virtues of BARF.

In the question and answer session later, the Scottish vet was asked what he thought of the BARF diet.  He replied that the dog food manufacturers thoroughly research what suits dogs best,  and what the exact dietary needs of dogs are.  He had a healthy eighteen year old terrier at home fed exclusively on kibble.  He said that he would not feed a BARF diet.

For more than a dozen years now I have fed all my dogs on Nutro, an imported manufactured dog food,  and little else.  Whilst the average lifespan of water spaniels is about eight years,  I have one still working on shoots in his twelfth year, and winning veteran in breed at Crufts this year.  I have just lost a cocker at almost fifteen years,  and her two eleven year daughters are hale and hearty.

I shall be sticking to Nutro, especially as thirty years ago I chopped the top of my thumb off, by hacking breast of lamb into inch square pieces for the dogs,  even before the term BARF was invented!

John

Everyone feeds their dog what suits them and their dogs best; in terms of convenience and ethics  ;) 

There has been no independent research comparing processed food with BARF feeding for animals, although there is lots of anecdotal evidence that supports both types of feeding - and others too, such as home cooked and other types of raw diet ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
One of the reasons I feed a mixed BARF/kibble diet is that it gives me reassurance that my dogs are getting the nutrition they need from the kibble, even if I don't quite get the BARF right  ;)

Reputable manufacturers research and produce a balanced diet which contains all the requirements for healthy maintenance.  By also feeding elements of BARF at the same time,  couldn't this alter the balance in a "balanced diet"?

Not sure how much this matters.  Most dogs seem to do well on what they are used to.  But if you find something that suits,  stick with it.

John

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »
a rib bone might be rather heavy going to start with, wings will crunch down more eaily, and as he gets stronger in the jaw, you will find that ribs go down as easily!

I agree tho, the debate could go on forever and people will feed what suits them and their dog at the end of the day, but I still hold with "variety is the spice of life" ....... ;)

He seems to pick the meat off and try to crunch the bone, i have taken it off him now.  Il stay away from ribs for the time being - iv given him his first chicken wing this morning, and was surprised at how quick he ate it, only nipped in to make a cup of tea, went back outside to watch him and he was licking the floor!  :005: I certainly feel better giving him bits of variety, im going to attempt some veg mixing tomorrow.  If i write a list of what iv got later will someone tell me if its ok? Im just using what i have for the guinea pigs at the moment. I have to go to rugby training now so il compile it shortly.

Thanks

REUBY DOOO!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »

He seems to pick the meat off and try to crunch the bone, i have taken it off him now.  Il stay away from ribs for the time being - iv given him his first chicken wing this morning, and was surprised at how quick he ate it, only nipped in to make a cup of tea, went back outside to watch him and he was licking the floor!  :005: I certainly feel better giving him bits of variety, im going to attempt some veg mixing tomorrow.  If i write a list of what iv got later will someone tell me if its ok? Im just using what i have for the guinea pigs at the moment. I have to go to rugby training now so il compile it shortly.

Thanks

Well he mastered chicken wings much faster than my adult Golden Retreiver!  :005: "Max you should be embarrased with yourself, 50 minutes indeed!"  :lol2:

Don't forget you can add fruit too.  ;)  Off the top of my head this is what I put in my mix:

Red, Green, Yellow Peppers
Tomatoes
Spinach
Pineapple
Apple
Pears
Celery
Carrots
White Cabbage
Swede
Brocoli

I also give them Dorwest Keepers Mix every day & Salmon Oil as staples. I sometimes add other supplements in too.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »
well, it varies, what I put in mine but the following get used regularly:

Celery
pepper
apple
pear
tomato
broccoli
spinach
watercress
mung beans
carrots
parsnips
spring greesn/cabbage/savoy etc
swede

try and do as Gordon Ramsay says "eat seasonal"  ;)