Author Topic: royal canin how much should we give our puppy  (Read 5813 times)

Offline jesseb

royal canin how much should we give our puppy
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:38:42 AM »
hi i may be having a blonde moment but we changed our jessies food from eukanuba which the breeder had used to royal canin yesterday the reason we changed is jessie has had constant very loose poos very smelly too! on the packet of the royal canin junior 32 its not totally clear in grams how much we should give her any ideas?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: royal canin how much should we give our puppy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »
Firstly the change in poo's could have been the move from mum etc or (think unlikely but still could be possible) a upset tum bug that my lot have got  :-\

You shouldn't change a dog's food over night but do it gradually over a week or so.

sorry not used Royal canin food so can't offer advice on amounts (am assuming what you have got is puppy food and not junior food  :-\ )

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
I agree it doesnt really tell you on the pack.

I have got some Royal Canin Baby Dog to try and if it goes well switch over to, but I too was thinking the same question!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
With Royal Canin, pups are on the Starter from 2 - 8 weeks, then they go over to the Medium Junior 32, from 2 - 12 months.

2 months ............for adult weight 11kg.........150 grms per day
3 months..............   "              "        .........175 grms per day

These are only guide lines, so you can adjust accordingly.

Offline jesseb

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »
thanks  it does say from age 2 months 150 grams but what made me doubt it was the weight of the dog 11 kg jessie is only just over 2 kgs, it does say junior 32 but its from weaning until 12 months, there is so much choice out there in the market! jessie certainly likes the royal canin so fingers crossed,

Offline Heidi

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
I fed Heidi on this (Medium Junior) and used the directions on the side of the pack. She was fed 3 times a day with 80g each time for the first 4 months and then I switched her to 110g each time, twice a day. I weighed out what 80/110 g was and then found a mug/cup that was full when 80/110 g was put in it. That way I just had to give her a mug each time I wasfeeding her.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
With Royal Canin, pups are on the Starter from 2 - 8 weeks, then they go over to the Medium Junior 32, from 2 - 12 months.

2 months ............for adult weight 11kg.........150 grms per day
3 months..............   "              "        .........175 grms per day

These are only guide lines, so you can adjust accordingly.

ahhh I see - alot of food is puppy til they are 6 months or so this is why i questioned  ;) As I said never used or looked at Royal canin so as i said, I didn't know  :shades:

Offline jesseb

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:26:30 PM »
thank you all for the replies

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
thanks  it does say from age 2 months 150 grams but what made me doubt it was the weight of the dog 11 kg jessie is only just over 2 kgs, it does say junior 32 but its from weaning until 12 months, there is so much choice out there in the market! jessie certainly likes the royal canin so fingers crossed,

If you look closely it shows the ADULT weight the dog will be, not the puppy weight....and the quantity is PER DAY not per meal, so as an 11kg adult dog - the pup should have 150grms per day

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
Is that the average weight of an adult dog, 11kg? my cousins cockers, both working and show are about 18kg!

I use the cup which i had given from the free sample from my vets to weigh it out - at 12 weeks i think its 2 3/8 per day
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life