Author Topic: Storing dry kibble  (Read 3471 times)

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
Re: Storing dry kibble
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
i use a "rubbermaid" tub from P@H with a lid and a scoop stored under the lid, keeps food fresh and the scoop comes in handy. They do them in different sizes too :D

Cazzie

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 10:34:58 AM »
i use a "rubbermaid" tub from P@H with a lid and a scoop stored under the lid, keeps food fresh and the scoop comes in handy. They do them in different sizes too :D

Ive got 4 of them but do you think they really are air tight  :-\ the lids on mine are rubbish  :-\

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »
Mine seems fine. The rubber is under the lid and i think that makes it air tight. Marley's tried knocking it over a couple of times >:(  but it hasn't opened. :005:

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »
I use the largest "Lock & Lock" container, and scrunch the bag up as we empty it.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »
I fill a big tupperware tub once a week out of the bag which is then rolled back up to keep airtight(ish)

Ditto! ;)
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 09:03:28 PM »

That's what I store my dog food in - but I put the whole bag in and don't decant it  :-\

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »
I've obviously failed as a Cocker mum again! I tip William's JWB kibble out of the bag into a plastic bin. It has a lid but it's definitely not airtight. As I buy a large bag of kibble that lasts ages it probably has no nutrients in it at all by the end!
                                                                                                                                      me too , and mine are a a pair of energetic nutters, kiz is 11 and has recently had spinal surgery and today leapt out of car charged in front door at 50 mph skidded on door mat and then laminate, i nearly had kittens trying to slow her down and we wont even start on bruno , so theres not much harm in storing it in a bin with air getting to it, i think we can worry too much sometimes  ;) ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »
i got a brand new 'Pro-Plan' metal bin from a local car boot sale for a couple of quid, it must be airtight, 'cos i struggle getting the lid off!  :005:
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline mad 4 cockers

• Site Member
  • Alfie & Charlie
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »

That's what I store my dog food in - but I put the whole bag in and don't decant it  :-\

That's what I do too! :blink:
Jane

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »
If you have room an old freezer? Reason i say this is at the livery yard I worked on all the horses feed bags were kept in old freezers to keep them fresh.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »
I pour mine into a tupperware and scrunch the rest of the bag up too, I'm sure it's fine - after all Gari is the dog who eats squashed chips off car tyres and is still healthy and energetic at over 10 and a half! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
I have a container from PAH which is like a soft meshed material, it holds approx 15 kgs of dired food and has a lid with a zip going all the way round the top, it is also rodent proof and air tight. I fill up a tupperware container with food for their everyday meals and just top up from the large container, when its needed. ;)

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Cazzie

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
I have a container from PAH which is like a soft meshed material, it holds approx 15 kgs of dired food and has a lid with a zip going all the way round the top, it is also rodent proof and air tight. I fill up a tupperware container with food for their everyday meals and just top up from the large container, when its needed. ;)

I saw those think ill have to get one and try it. Im not so sure the tupper wear thing will be a good idea as sometimes I have 8 different dog foods on the go  :-\ Im still thinking  :005:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
  :005: Yes, you could have a slight problem there with 8 containers on the go, still variety is the spice of life  :lol2:

George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline 881meryl

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but how exactly does air 'kill off' nutrients in dry kibble?  :-\ I understand how it may go stale but i can't imagine dry kibble nutrients floating around in the air in my kitchen! Maybe Wilson can inhale the nutrients instead?!  :005: Anyway, we just fill up a plastic container from a big JWB bag!