Author Topic: lemon roan pup - how much colour later?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
lemon roan pup - how much colour later?
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
Lo all

am looking at a stunningly nicely bred lemon roan pup -but my OH doesn't like the colour... (sigh)

and I realise I've got no idea how much colour might come through later on, compared to currently at 6 weeks when it's head and ears and a few spots spattered about her body - might she become really lemony? Or is she likely to stay mostly white? (and if the answer is that we don't know, that's fine)

thanks for any input (and if this is in the wrong place, please move it)

m
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Re: lemon roan pup - how much colour later?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »
I had a partner too that wouldnt have a orange or lemon! I do like them, but of course the lord had spoken!  >:( Im not too sure about lemon sorry not much help - just wanted to let you know that i was in the same position.  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Going on the litter I looked after the colour comes through quite nicely  :shades: They are quite pealy wally to start with  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
ah good luck E  :D no advice / help tho sorry  :shades:

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »
have found a pic of a lemon roan dog by the same sire, so we'll see if that'll do to convince Herself that this is a good idea...  ;)

and if not, will keep looking.

life is good - thanks, all

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
Hasn't the breeder been able to advise you? With my own litters, I can usually give people a rough idea of which pups will develop more colouring and which will stay very light, although by definition a lemon should be a pale colour (though some have more body patching than others)
Jane

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:24 AM »
no experience of the lemon roan's but my orange roan boy has always had a lot of orange which is unusual from what I can see - it is also coming through as a really deep, rich red colour and more of this is coming through as the adult coat grows on - he was never pale from the beginning it has just got better as time has gone on - you might find this with your lemon but I'm no expert  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
Bonnie was lemon and white colored and as a pup was mostly white but now she is 19 months and she is beautiful with lots of lemon which in certain lights has a lovely golden glow she has also got lemon freckly sox 3/4 up each leg
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi Eceni,

I have Rio (Blue Roan and Tan) and I was amazed at just how much her roan markings developed. The first photo is of her at 8 Weeks:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/hollydavies123/RioFirstWalk054.jpg

Second photo is of her at 8 Months:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/hollydavies123/DevonJuly2008061a.jpg

Most importantly though, I know you were looking for a Working Cocker with all the relavent Health Checks. From my own searching, I found them very hard to find! I wasn't looking for a Blue Roan and Tan when I had Rio, but as she came from an excellent breeder and her lovely parents had all the health checks, she was the perfect pup for us. She is 8 Months old now and couldn't imagine life without her, she's fab! Anyway, back to the point (! - I do ramble on!!). I think if you are really happy with the pup (and pups familiy etc), has all the health checks, then I think you should start working on your OH  :005: Lemon Roans are stunning!  :luv:

Anyway, sorry to ramble on!! Keep us informed!

Holly

Cazzie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
Here's a couple of piccies for you.

Orange roan, he has really been the same colouring since small.

Lemon Roan

Puppies who were quite pale but now fully grown are darker, some more than others  :D

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »
Lemon Roans are so  :luv:
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »

Honey is Orange Roan - she does have quite large marking, but these pictures show how much her roaning has developed and her colour, while not really darkening, has become richer iyswim.

At 4-5 weeks

At 13 weeks

At 10 months

(Click on photos to see a bigger image)

I tried to post photos that show her from the same angle.  You can't really see her legs on these, but she does have the typical orange roan socks, which she didn't have when we first saw her.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »
I originally wanted a blue roan but OH doesn't like them so we weren't allowed one!  :005:

Roxy is a light chocolate roan (as in quite a lot more white areas than brown ones) and got darker and more specklier (!!) as she got older.

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
Hi Eceni,

I have Rio (Blue Roan and Tan) and I was amazed at just how much her roan markings developed. The first photo is of her at 8 Weeks:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/hollydavies123/RioFirstWalk054.jpg

Second photo is of her at 8 Months:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/hollydavies123/DevonJuly2008061a.jpg

Most importantly though, I know you were looking for a Working Cocker with all the relavent Health Checks. From my own searching, I found them very hard to find! I wasn't looking for a Blue Roan and Tan when I had Rio, but as she came from an excellent breeder and her lovely parents had all the health checks, she was the perfect pup for us. She is 8 Months old now and couldn't imagine life without her, she's fab! Anyway, back to the point (! - I do ramble on!!). I think if you are really happy with the pup (and pups familiy etc), has all the health checks, then I think you should start working on your OH  :005: Lemon Roans are stunning!  :luv:

Anyway, sorry to ramble on!! Keep us informed!

Holly

Rio!   :luv:

I've been staring at her on her breeder's site for days now, praying that there'd be another litter like her and I could have a carbon copy of her.... if you EVER decide to breed (and of course there are lots of reasons not to - ducks to avoid flame war on breeding) , please, please let me know....

she is exactly my ideal dog

thank you for the pics

e

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »

Honey is Orange Roan - she does have quite large marking, but these pictures show how much her roaning has developed and her colour, while not really darkening, has become richer iyswim.

At 4-5 weeks

At 13 weeks

At 10 months

(Click on photos to see a bigger image)

I tried to post photos that show her from the same angle.  You can't really see her legs on these, but she does have the typical orange roan socks, which she didn't have when we first saw her.

gosh - she's rather lovely too....

have realised that the pup in question is docked... sigh.... which means that if I ever succeed in getting to any serious llevel in agility,we're sunk

rats   >:D

I do so hate the current laws

so have tracked down some not-yet-born pups of similar breeding and will have to pick out one on the day it's born rather than waiting until they've got some personality and then working out which one would suit best

unless anyone else has discovered a way round this?

off to rant quietly.  At least it stops us having the 'I guess I'll love it but…' conversations at home

e