Author Topic: Easy Walk Harness - WARNING  (Read 3886 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Easy Walk Harness - WARNING
« on: May 18, 2004, 04:47:17 PM »
Hi guys, don't post here often as my working cocker is low maintenance but thought I would bring this word of caution to your attention
Last Sunday I did an sponsored walk for the SSPCA, by the water where Willow was swimming and paddling, as there are bits the dogs need to be on leads I put on their harnesses from Pets@Home, which help to stop them pulling. After the walk I noticed 6 inch slices from her armpits up, where the cords has cut through her skin, if the harness gets wet, or the dog is wet it rubs the skin and cuts it really badly, Willow has a long scab right across her back, right down to her armpits on either side, I feel awful and I sobbed when I realised what I had done, even though they have those pads on them, as soon as they got wet they were useless and the harness cut into Willow's skin - please please be so very careful with them, don't let them get wet, or use them when your dog is wet, or when its raining. Willow is a brave little soldier who never makes a fuss but it is horrific to see the damage this harness did. Just thought I would bring it to your attention.
Please feel free to cross post to warm other people so their dogs are not damaged by these harnesses. They are Easy Walk harnesses, the ones with the collars and the the cords that attatch to the collars under the legs, and you clip the lead to to ring at the end of the cords so that when they pull it tightens on their chest. :(  :(
I hope the mods don't mind me posting this word of warning but I know that many of you may have problems with pulling on the lead, and may consider one of these.                    

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 04:55:12 PM »
Oscar had one of these but we did not have any problems with it, but Oscar did not pull on his lead much. we where not very happy with it as it gets bigger when it gets wet so we have now got Oscar on a normal lead.                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 10:45:50 PM »
i have a loopy harness no problems here yet i did have another harness which looked alot thinner wasent happy with how it could cause pain and got a loopy instead im so much more happier with it ive been using one for well over a year dry and wet weather so I think its fine  ,                    

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 11:39:15 PM »
.....just thought I'd have a look at what had been written lately as I've not been on here for a couple of days, when this came to my notice! I saw those harnesses on Tues. and thought they looked rather strange and difficult to put on :? . Sammy will soon be able to go out for the first time at the weekend, and he is booked for his first training class on Sunday morning, so I thought this would be the best idea for him and us to have some control over him :wink: . Lucky for me, this post caught my eye! We have Perky Pets down the road and had made my mind up to go there tomorrow aswell as getting him his i.d. tag. That harness in Pets at Home are £8.99 plus around £5.99 for the lead, quite an expense when the poor thing gets cut to bits!! :cry: I hope you go in there and tell them what it did to your poor baby  :shock:                    
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 11:40:26 PM »
i have a loopy harness no problems here yet i did have another harness which looked alot thinner wasent happy with how it could cause pain and got a loopy instead im so much more happier with it ive been using one for well over a year dry and wet weather so I think its fine  ,

....where did you get yours from :?:                    

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 07:49:09 PM »
.........just an update on my last post to say I got Sammy a harness today. It seems better than the one mentioned yesterday, bit more sturdy. What a performance putting it on him :roll: . Think it will be ok, will find out on Sunday when it's his (our) first training session :!:
With him only being 15 weeks, the small size fit him and there is room to make it bigger, but for how long :?:  :!:  :?:  :!:
He is into  eating my dried flower arrangement at the moment :roll: , he thinks it more appealing than the lovely marrow bone I got for him today :roll:
All these rolling eyes...... :roll:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 10:13:31 PM »
I got my loopy from our local pet shop think there £7 i use a normal harness in the park because with the running about they get slack i use the harness just so i can grab hold of her  when shes of the lead you never know with agressive dogs being around  :shock:  but as soon as we get on the tarmac i pop the loopy over the top and theres no pulling as soon as its on :D                    

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 12:46:13 PM »
well I am glad that my warning helped somebody, I have written to the comapny that makes them and I am awaiting a reply. I'll keep you posted.
 :D                    

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy