Author Topic: breeding  (Read 2515 times)

Offline jacquie

• Site Member
breeding
« on: May 19, 2004, 08:32:49 PM »
can anyone please tell me how long is a bitch in pup for ive been told lots of different days. :oops:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
breeding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:51:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum,

I cocker bitch is usually in whelp for 61-63 days. I advise you to get yourself a copy of "The Book of the Bitch" by J.M. Evans & Kay White...it's usually a good idea to read books of this nature prior to breeding  :) This book also explains the procedure for whelping and rearing puppies and also details how to recognise signs of any problems that might arise  :)

Gilly                    

Offline whinneygirl

• Site Member
breeding
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 10:05:58 AM »
thanks for the information,was given some calcium powder by the stud dog owner,to give to my bitch everyday,i had to stop giving it to her as it upset her tummy,is there anything else i could give her,in order to give her and her pups the best start,she is given a very well balanced diet,plenty of fish,chicken,veg,as well as her dog food(probably too much food,cant help spoiling her).when is the best time to add more food,i have lots of books on cocker spaniels and breeding they all seem to contredict each other :?                    

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
breeding
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 10:50:10 AM »
You shouldn't give calcium to a pregnant bitch as it can stop her body producing it's own and actually cause eclampsia, as long as she's on a good quality food then you really shouldn't need to give any extras                    

Offline PennyB

breeding
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »
I think Jane in another post mentioned giving folic acid                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shaz

• Site Member
breeding
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 02:29:14 PM »
i agree with gilly, get the book of the bitch this was my bible when i bred my first litter, i was always reading it ,  it was well worth the money i thinck it was about £10 .

sharon x flo x mellow x and harley.                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com