Author Topic: puppy sleeping  (Read 3782 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
puppy sleeping
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
How long and how often do puppies usually sleep for? Reuben sleeps loads and loads! I wish i could say it was during the night, but its more daytime!  :-\

REUBY DOOO!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: puppy sleeping
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
I think it can be down to how busy your household is  :blink:

Bailey had 2 retrievers to play with so she mainly slept at night  :luv: :blink: with just small naps during the day  :blink:

Jo

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
Ursa slept almost constantly for the first two weeks I had her (and she was healthy and fine)

...and then she woke up  ::) ph34r

(My puppies have usually seemed to sleep for a couple of hours, up and running around for about and hour, then back to sleep and so on, with the sleep tapering off as they get older)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:36:17 PM »
Marty had quite a few naps during the day in the first week i got him ( ive had him 2 and a half weeks now) and we would keep him up between 7-10 so that he would sleep a lot through the night, this did the trick as he is now a complete angel all through from 10.15-8.15 :D so yeah from my experience ( which is little as he's my first puppy) they tend to sleep a lot during the day or at least rest. although now he doesnt sleep that much in the day and is a lot more energetic and playful.

xx enjoy the time he's napping, its a good time to do housework etc lol ( if there ever is a good time ) :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »
Oh good! He sleeps a lot more than Charley did! Hes just woke up, will try to keep him awake for the next couple of hours. Maybe if he slept a bit more during the night eh? Hes a b***** at the moment for keeping me up!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »
its hard work trying to keep them awake for 3 hours, although it all depends what time his third meal is as martys is at 10 so he has dinner then its out to the toilet and then bed with his radio on and a hot water bottle and that seems to do the trick, no longer have to put paper in his crate either as he hasnt had any accidents in there yay.

i think was lucky with him as he is an angel at night and a bit of a terror during the day lol.  :005: how old is reuben?! i found carrying marty down the road in my arms when he was a bit sleepy helped wake him up a little lol.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
I remember being really disappointed when i first got Jarvis home and he'd sleep so much ::) i used to sit and watch him waiting for him to wake up so i could sneak a cuddle. :embarassed: :005:

And then he woke up too. >:D :lol2:

Enjoy the peace ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 06:51:52 PM »
Yes i know where your coming from! I just can remember Charley sleeping so much, i just wanted to check everything was ok? I think if i can keep him awake for tonight then hopefully i can break the cycle of him waking me up every hour in the night? Well thats my plan for tonight anyway!  :lol2:

Hes 9 week wednesday - what time should i lift his food and water? He always goes straight to his water bowl when he wakes in the night!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »
Oooh I remember this stage, it was lovely!  :luv: For us it was quickly followed by the either sleeping OR biting stage and we wished he would just GO BACK TO SLEEP!  ph34r  Sleepy puppies are just the cutest! Milo used to go to sleep over my shoulder while I was watching telly/cooking/on COL.  :005:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
Id swap it for a good nights sleep!  :lol2:

But he is cute when fast asleep!  :luv: :luv:

And so much for keeping him awake - asleep under the kitchen chair!  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »
lol, yeah its harder keeping them awake than you think lol, but thats what our breeder suggested for thefirst 3 days or so and then after that should be in some sort of routine and wont need persistant playing with.

though agreed they look adorable when theyre sleeping, i used to let him have a nap anytime before 7 and just watch him when he twitchs in his sleep  :luv: it sounds cruel keeping him awake between 7 and 10 but he sleeps like a baby now, then again i could just have an exceptional puppy ( in terms of sleeping anyway >:D)  are you crate training?! i didnt restrict his water at all but put half of the crate with a puppy pad and newspaper incase he did want to go toilet in the night.

I then made the decision not to keep waking up in the night to let him out, i know it means toilet training takes longer but hes paper trained completley now and its not that much harder. he did cry the first night at about 11.30 but this was before i had given him hot water bottle and radio and he fell straight to sleep.

good luck.

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »
hi maria, I'm glad you've posted this hun as Henry is exactly the same and I thought there was something wrong with him, he tends to sleep for a couple of hours in his crate (takes himself there already) then an hour of madness then he crashes out again.  so it's normal then?  good o that makes sense, now he's just crashed out again after getting me up at 5am  >:D
but i wouldn't swap him for the world  :luv:
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
completely normal as far as im aware :D although for me the keeping busy/entertained/awake between 7 and 10 for the first few days worked a miracle in terms of sleeping through the night but no defintly enjoy their sleeping moments, they get older and turn into little demons  :luv: love them to pieces though!
xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
When I got Penny, now 6 I told my children to expect a big difference from an elderly dog to a young pup, but how wrong was I. The poor pup was never awake, well about 1 hr / day. Eventually decided to take her to the vets at 14weeks old to see if she was ok. She was ok in every other way just dozy. They checked her urine and gave her a good examination and could not find anything wrong with her, I was told that like children some dogs are more active than others and just to enjoy her.

She's a picture of health, as I said she's now 6 and other than pregnancy problems she's never been ill, her daughter Phoebe however has been a little live wire since been born and boy do we know we have her, so I think you should think yourself lucky he coud be a pipsqueak. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:08:10 AM »
just wondering how to keep him awake for 3 hours befor bed  ;).  At the moment he goes into his crate about 10.30-11pm and has been waking up 6am ish for a pee- no paper in crate so I've been getting up.  Do you think if I try to keep him awake more pre bed he'll sleep till later than 6?
cocker spaniels make everything ok