Author Topic: Vets fees  (Read 1242 times)

Offline triggpup

Vets fees
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:26:31 PM »
Went into a local vets this morning (as I`m trying to find the best for our little Daisy before we bring her home!) and was rightly or wrongly shocked when they told me it would be £180 for her to be spayed in the future.  Does this sound a bit steep to anyone else?  Don`t get me wrong I knew it was expensive but still.  I don`t know maybe it`s gone up since I looked at all the prices (admitedly from another vets!) a while ago.  Their jab prices are only a little bit more than other places.  But then I`d rather pay a bit more if she`s going to get better care but how do you know???  Everybody I know to ask for recommendations don`t live that locally although I am willing to travel a little bit.  Ahhhhh it`s such a responsibilty!!! :-\ 

Rachel

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Vets fees
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »
Bracken was spayed last year and I think it was £140. She didn't have the blood tests before (something to do with the anaesthetic) because they only recommend them for older dogs.

I think vets fees can vary quite considerably by area. We are in the South West (Yeovil).
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:33:06 PM »
I've just paid £179.00 for Indie to be spayed 3 weeks ago and that was without the pre-anaesthetic blood test which was an extra £50.00 on top of that price.

Then had to pay £150.00 emergency treatment after so a hefty month. 

We're in East Anglia.   :D

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »
The last time i enquired our vets were pricing depending on the body weight of the dog. With a starting price of £120. I'm in Northants.

Offline triggpup

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
It was around the £140 mark I thought it would be!  Crikey that was an expensive month Jeanette! Is she ok now?  Was it complications with the spaying?  I imagine that was rather scary!!!  ph34r  We`re in Nottingham

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »
ouch! No wonder they pressure you do spay/castrate!  ph34r

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »
It was around the £140 mark I thought it would be!  Crikey that was an expensive month Jeanette! Is she ok now?  Was it complications with the spaying?  I imagine that was rather scary!!!  ph34r  We`re in Nottingham

I could have had it cheaper than £179.00 but paid for the fluid drip as well which was about £30.00 ish

You need to ask whether the £180.00 they are charging you includes everything, as mine was about £149.00 but then £30.00 extra for the drip which is a definite in my eyes and then extra for the blood testing which I didn't do.   The starting price is not necessary the price you can end up paying.  If £180.00 includes absolutely everything then that sounds about right to me.   If you get quoted lower elsewhere then ask if that price includes everything or for the standard spay with no extras.       

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »
we paid £130 but that was over a year ago
chantelle & Tilly

Offline triggpup

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »
Now I`ve just been quoted £101- £111 at the vets Daisys been booked into for her jabs! And it was a recommendation from a friend so I know they`re good just means I`ll have to travel a bit further, probably worth it at that price although the drip is an extra £50.  ::)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »
Now I`ve just been quoted £101- £111 at the vets Daisys been booked into for her jabs! And it was a recommendation from a friend so I know they`re good just means I`ll have to travel a bit further, probably worth it at that price although the drip is an extra £50.  ::)

That's odd. :huh:

I would expect the quoted price to include all of the necessary parts of the surgery. Including removal of sutures or clips. Be wary of this quote. If they add on the cost of the drip, they may also add on the anaesthetic or any routine drugs.

Offline triggpup

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Actually the lady I spoke to told me everything it included, such a long list, and it definately included all before, during and after care inc drugs and taking stitches out. In fact to be honest so many things I clouded over for a second!  :D She was very helpful and gave me loads of advice, I was impressed!  Think I`ll reserve final judgement until she`s had her jabs there!  ;)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
I'd actually just go with a vets you are really happy with and to be honest one I'd stay with.   I wouldn't shop around for a cheaper option for spaying unless I really didn't like the vets I go to.  I do shop around for products etc but not for an operation.   :-\

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Blimey were do you lot live, when bella was spayed it was less than a hundred pounds in total for the whole procedure.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
Blimey were do you lot live, when bella was spayed it was less than a hundred pounds in total for the whole procedure.

Where do you live??  :005:

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »
Rosie was spayed 2 weeks ago I paid £224 that was including Microchip too  :blink:  She had a check up the day before and 3  more checks after the op all included  :blink:

The vet was fantastic it was worth every penny  :luv: I could have taken her to the other local vet they said £180 but the vet I chose was highly recommended for his needlework  :005: :luv:

Jo