Author Topic: How do you get used to hearing raw chicken bones crunching  (Read 3131 times)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
How do you get used to hearing raw chicken bones crunching
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »
Well I have just given Alfie his first raw chicken wing  ph34r ph34r

The first 10 minutes he has been looking at me as if to say 'and what do you propose I do with that'  ::) :005: Then he proceded to walk around a little with it, and he is as we speak crunching on it.  ph34r

TBH the noise is making me feel a little ill  ph34r do you get used to it? I am sure it is just because I can see what it is, if it was a dentistick or something I wouldnt flinch  :005: Its a bit horrid too isnt it when a load of the skin seems to stretch  ph34r

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: How do you get used to hearing raw chicken bones crunching
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
I just think about each crunch helping to clean Buddy's teeth. That helps.

The other thing is that I always throw them into the garden and don't let him in until he's finished them so unless the windows are open I don't have to listen!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
I just think about each crunch helping to clean Buddy's teeth. That helps.

The other thing is that I always throw them into the garden and don't let him in until he's finished them so unless the windows are open I don't have to listen!

ph34r I have let him on his bed in the living room.  ph34r Lesson number one learnt then....the hard way.  :lol2:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »
I was the same the first time but soon got used to it. Now its quite satisfying hearing them crunch away and enjoying their meal.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline KarenB

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »
I usually do the dishes and so forth when they are feeding, so don't really hear the crunching.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
I was the same the first time but soon got used to it. Now its quite satisfying hearing them crunch away and enjoying their meal.

He has just this second finished it.  :D How many do you give? I wasnt planning on a whole barf diet, he does already have raw beef mince, but I was thinking of the chicken as more of a treat. How often a week and how much do you give just for that purpose?

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
I love the sound!  :D

Yeah defo outside with them - oh and if you ever get lamb ribs make sure hes far away as possible! YUCK!!

Ps go Alfie!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »
I give 2 in the evenings 3 times a week (do barf evening meals). Used to give 3 but Krum started to put on weight. Arwen gets 5!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »
I give 2 in the evenings 3 times a week (do barf evening meals). Used to give 3 but Krum started to put on weight. Arwen gets 5!

ph34r OMG I couldnt listen to that many chickens being crunched in one household.  :005: I think I will wear my earplugs next time. :005:

Thanks.

Yeah defo outside with them - oh and if you ever get lamb ribs make sure hes far away as possible! YUCK!!

Chicken is enough for me at the moment  :005:

Offline KarenB

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
Have given both Rosie and Ginny 3 each but only a couple of times in a week, worried about weight gain. Pupster gets one ::)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
Have bbe given both Rosie and Ginny 3 each but only a couple of times in a week, worried about weight gain. Pupster gets one ::)

Does that replace their evening meal Karen? Also I need a list of the benefits of feeding them as my OH doesnt think its a good idea  ::) Which is why I waited till he is in work to try  :005: I took a few pics of Alfie munching it so he can see the pleasure on the little mites face.  :luv: :005:

Is it : teeth, anal glands  :huh: after that I am stuck  ph34r :005:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »
if you feed it alongside 2 meals you'll definitely have a weight gain. I feed raw for teeth, anal glands, general health and for the variety and enjoyment.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »
if you feed it alongside 2 meals you'll definitely have a weight gain. I feed raw for teeth, anal glands, general health and for the variety and enjoyment.

Okeydoke. Thanks. I will trim his evening meal tonight as I only gave him one for now. Dont think I could bear to hear crunching again today  ph34r :005:

You are right though, it is nice to see his little face with something different.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »

ph34r OMG I couldnt listen to that many chickens being crunched in one household.  :005: I think I will wear my earplugs next time. :005:

Thanks.

Chicken is enough for me at the moment  :005:

Few more and he wont even crunch them Patsy!  :005:

Understand about the OH - mine is 'oh yeah its great for their teeth etc to people', then as soon as a sloppy poo appears  - 'thats you that giving him them raw chicken wings'  :005: :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
I have 3 dogs eating 10 wings between them 2 or 3 times a week, it's like surround sound  :lol2:  Ribs are crunchier again although the noise doesn't bother me... saying that I skin rabbit carcasses and pluck and gut pheasants for them as well so I'm not particularly squeamish  :005:  I only feed bones to my lot for their teeth and for a bit of variety. They don't make any difference to Tilly's anal glands, she still needs them emptied every few months no matter how much bone she has in her diet.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/