Author Topic: Kennel Cough Vaccination  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:45:11 PM »
Indie is almost due for her annual booster!  I have read all about the fors and againsts, and with all living in an area that foxes frequently visit, I have decided in her best interests to have her vaccinated annualy.  

What I wanted to ask about is the kennel cough jab :?  Is it necessary, are there any side affects, have just telephoned my vet, spoke to a vet nurse and when I asked her are there any side affects, she just said "not really" :roll:   hmmm would like to know more myself, does anyone have any advise on this?   Apparently, the jab should be done every 6 months, not sure what to do really :?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:42:56 PM »
The Kennel Cough vaccine is drops up the nose - not a jab and only lasts six months. I only get it done for the boys when they are going into kennels as they don't go to places where KC is a high risk. If they did - then it would be different I guess.

Not sure of the relevance to foxes though - perhaps someone could enlighten me on that one.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:48:30 PM »
Not sure of the relevance to foxes though - perhaps someone could enlighten me on that one.

:lol:  :lol: Sorry Pammy, thats me wording my post stupidly, I was refering to the other boosters, when I mentioned the foxes, not the kennel cough vac!   I read somewhere, (don't know how true this is) that its recommended that if you walk your dogs where foxes may visit and leave their doings, then its advisable, that you annualy vaccinate!

Hope that makes sence :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 05:56:42 PM »

:lol:  :lol: Sorry Pammy, thats me wording my post stupidly, I was refering to the other boosters, when I mentioned the foxes, not the kennel cough vac!   I read somewhere, (don't know how true this is) that its recommended that if you walk your dogs where foxes may visit and leave their doings, then its advisable, that you annualy vaccinate!

Hope that makes sence :)

It does Emma - now I've re-read your original post - it was my misreading it really :D  :oops:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 07:36:55 PM »
Kennel cough is pretty rife at the moment, certainly in many rescue kennels.  So, if you walk your dogs in places where there are lots of different new dogs and your dogs mix with others, the KC vaccine could be worthwhile.

However, there are so many strains of KC and usually KC is not really a problem (it's a bit like having a cold for most dogs - but like a cold/flu in humans can be very bad for some dogs - oldies, those with heart/lung problems), so unless you feel that Indie is particularly at risk, I wouldn't bother.  I vaccine my dogs but don't get the KC one.

That said, most boarding kennels will require that your dog is covered for KC.                    

Offline PennyB

Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 12:56:16 AM »
I've had my two vaccinated with the KC one. My vet tells me there will be year long one out soon which will save money for some. Its hard work getting it up Ruby's nose most of the time as she struggles so much (I think she sneezed out half of it!). Some dogs are more prone to it though as I have a friend who regularly vaccinates against it but one of her dogs still gets KC.

The 1st time Ruby had her vaccination she had mild symptoms of KC and sounded like she'd just smoked 40 fags, but that was it really.

If you're going to put dogs in kennels you need to make sure they have it at least 2 weeks before to be on the safe side.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 08:57:31 AM »
My kennels don't insist on it but they 'prefer' if it is done.  I must admit that I get Holly done regularly as she is in and out of kennels at least three times a year when we go away.  My problem is Chloe not Holly really.  Holly could fight the virus but poor Chloes' damaged lungs couldn't cope. :(                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 11:54:48 AM »
Phoebe has had her second kennel cough vac the other week as she was due to go to kennels and they ask that you have it done.

We try and time it so she's covered for any visits to the kennels that she will have over the year so she only has it once. Its a nasal spray and she doesn't bat an eyelid over it!                    
Anita

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 05:24:39 PM »
As there are different strains of kennel cough it's hard to say whether it's worth it  :?
Our dogs have had KC and the vet said most dogs only get it once. This has been true for us, as we had a foster in with bad KC a few weeks ago and our dogs did not contract it.
Although KC is unpleasant it's not normally serious. We did give our dogs antibiotics when they had it to be on the safe side.                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 08:36:49 PM »
I had never had our lab vaccinated against KC until three years ago. We then had to get her vaccinated because the lady who looks after her when we go away wanted her done. I have kept it up ever since.
I didnt notice any side effects and wasn't warned about any either.
I wouldn't normally bother about the KC, unless the kennels etc wanted the dog covered.                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 09:54:56 PM »
Hi, Can someone help me with the rough price of the kennel cough vaccine.

Thanks

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Kennel Cough Vaccination
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 11:25:48 PM »
Hi, Can someone help me with the rough price of the kennel cough vaccine.

Thanks
Hi Cathy

I should think like all vaccinations the price will vary from vet to vet!  Might be a good idea if you rang your own vet and asked, I'm sure you will get lots of different prices via this board (from around the country!)

It’s hard to believe how each vet will charge a different price but if the primary vaccinations and booster are anything to go by then I suspect the same applies to the Kennel Cough vaccination!

Chrissy