Author Topic: Miscarriage/Abortion  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Miscarriage/Abortion
« on: June 12, 2004, 09:53:44 AM »
I'm sorry to say my girl who was mated 24 days ago has sadly lost her litter  :cry: , so far she has aborted 10 pups in total not sure if she has finished yet.

I know in one sense I have been lucky to have only lost the litter and not mum too, but I feel so sad for her!  She is fine in herself, still eating, drinking, playing etc.

This would have been my 5th litter (not from the same mum) but I can honestly say I didn't think it would affect me quite so hard, I feel completely gutted :cry:

Has this ever happened to anybody else? and did the bitch go on to have a healthy pregnancy next time?  I have spoken to the stud dog owner and she said that we can go back next time for a 'free' mating, but the way I feel at the moment, I just can't imagine doing it again to her.

Maybe the litter size was just too big for her, we will probably never know!

Sharon :cry:                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 12:11:05 PM »
Has she aborted them or absorbed them? either way it's very sad. I think you need to try and find if there was any cause for the loss before deciding if you should mate her again.

Jane is the best person to advise you on this but she's busy at the mo and won't be around for a few days. Drop her a PM I'm sure she'll help you all she can when she can.

For now - hope your girl gets over this quickly.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »
No, she's actually aborted them........we are up to 12 now!  I've followed her around and  picked up the small embryos  :(   I think the cause was a HUGE litter!!  She was  mated on the day she ovulated, we had a premate blood test done but it looks like too many were fertilized at the same time.  We have to go back to the vet on Monday, to get her scanned just to be sure she has finished then she will start a strong course of Anti-biotics.

I have take photos of her loss and sent them to a well known cocker breeder and she has confirmed that they are embryos  :(  

Don't worry I will be having a very long talk with my vet on Monday, I would like some answers especially as I took her to see the vet 2 weeks after mating due to a discharge and she didn't even look at her, just gave us some synulox anti-biotics and said it was an infection!

My girl had a litter beginning of last year, she had 7 very healthy pups!!

Will let you know how we get on at the vets.

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »
Hi Sharon,

How very upsetting for you!  Maybe it's natures way if there were soooo many embryos.   :(

I've been breeding for nearly 10 years and haven't had that happen although have had reasbsorbtion happen a few times.  I suppose unless you are actually present all the time, the bitch could just eat them and you would never know any difference. :!:

I hope the vet is able to answer your questions.  I do know that Synolox is given to bitches in whelp and it is safeso that would not be the cause.  Sounds to me that as if she was so full of embryos she couldn't cope.  Very disappionting. Hope your bitch is OK.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 10:00:43 AM »
A similar thing happened to me , last year.
my healthy bitch produced her puppies 10 days early - too early for them to survive  :(
There were 7 pups, but the bitch had no infection / stress etc.
She had had a previous litter of 6 with no problems.
She will not be mated again.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:14:55 PM »
A similar thing happened to me , last year.
my healthy bitch produced her puppies 10 days early - too early for them to survive  :(  
There were 7 pups, but the bitch had no infection / stress etc.
She had had a previous litter of 6 with no problems.
She will not be mated again.

Hi Kim,
That must have been very upsetting as by that stage the embryos would have been more formed  :(  I hope I never have that experience.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 06:13:46 PM »
It was, what made it worse is that the bitch is an excellent Mother & she grieved terribly.  :cry:                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Miscarriage/Abortion
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 06:20:18 PM »
aaw - how sad. At least when we lose a baby - although it's very sad and tragic - we know what's happened. Whereas for our wee canine friends - they must just be so incredibly confused                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional