Author Topic: raw or cooked meat?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
raw or cooked meat?
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
Hi all,
Henry is fed on royal canine food and he is now 14 weeks old.  We had steak yesterday and I wondered if it's ok to give him a little bit for a treat?
Also if I give him meat like beef, chicken, pork etc for a treat should it be cooked or raw?
I'm after high value treats to help with his recall when out on walks and basic training, so far we use cocktail sausages and bits of cheese what else can we use?

thanks  :D
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: raw or cooked meat?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
Liver cake treats

We give Ollie left over bits from sunday roats ie roast beef/lamb and had no problems

L&O x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
I feed Lyla raw and the others have cooked (when they have it) but I wouldn't give them pork.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »
what are liver bake treats?

Also why not pork?  So am I right in thinking it doesn't matter if it's raw or cooked meat?

thanks
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
Dogs unused to raw meat can suffer from an upset tum if they have it infrequently - and it is digested at a different ate to cooked/processed food, so best fed at different times  :D

But, a lot of dogs love it as a treat or their daily food allowance  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
I feed mine pork with no problems, they've had it cooked but it's usually raw in the form of pork ribs maybe once a week. If you're only giving small amounts of meat as training treats though I would probably use cooked, it's easier to handle when out on walks if nothing else! Small bits of cut up hotdog sausage are good as are small bits of roast chicken or cooked ham etc. There's a recipe for liverbread on the It's A Spring Thing forum if you google it and then go to the 'Willow's Kitchen' section.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
I give Darcey little bits of boiled chicken as a special treat. tbh I wouldn't fancy having a pocket full of raw chicken treats  :P we also have some freeze dried liver which is what is suggested in the Ian Dunbar book but with her tummy being so dodgy I'm staying away from those for a while!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:38:26 AM »
Dax has gone off kibble and just leaves it but loves raw meat - so I'm waiting for the Ian Billinghurst book to arrive and have had some good advice from Karma - it seems we have no choice but to go BARF.  The dog has spoken  :005:

I tried him with mashed potato tonight with probiotic yoghurt and cheese and he had a little of it but I think he was sooooo full from his meat earlier in the day that he couldn't fit anything else in!  Chicken wings and Rabbit are his faves but he has also demolished a pork rib (not all on the same day btw).   ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
Reuben isnt so keen on his AG at the moment, takes him a while to atempt to eat it - then ages to actually finish his bowl.

Has he spoken???

REUBY DOOO!