Author Topic: SCARED OF WHISTLE - HELP  (Read 346 times)

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
SCARED OF WHISTLE - HELP
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
Hi

I tried to train Bailey to a whistle (for recall) almost a year ago and didnt have much success.  Admittedly I dont think I went about it the right way.  I used a metal whistle and didnt introduce him to it as gradually as I should have.  He was scared of it and wouldnt come anywhere near me - exactly the opposite of what I wanted.

To cut quite a long story short I have been to a gundog trainer for advice on his recall problems, he suggested using a whistle but just in the house to start with.  I thought I would give it another go.  Bailey is still stressed by it, when he heard it he ran under the dining table and refused to come anywhere near me.  He was also quite suspicious of me when I asked him to do anything over the next couple of days.  I stopped using it completely.

I dont want to give up on the idea as I like the idea of using the whistle as at least it is constant when your voice isnt. 

Do you think I could train him round his fear if I swapped to a different whistle, a plastic one perhaps?

I have noticed that there is another thread on step by step whistle training and I would def follow that method

Thanks in advance
Gayle & Bailey x
Gayle, Bailey and Jura xx

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: SCARED OF WHISTLE - HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »
If he is that afraid of it now you'll have your work cut out getting him to see it as a really positive thing. I'd use a different recall sound otherwise you're giving yourself waaaaaay more extra work that you need.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.