Author Topic: Red eyes - not medical but behavioural  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
Red eyes - not medical but behavioural
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
After reading about the eyes of dogs changing colour to red in rage syndrome - does anyone know if this can happen for other reasons? ie excitement? Freds eyes change colour to obvious brown/red, but he's the least rage like dog ever  :005: could it be blood supply increased cos he's excited, or is it stress?

Apologies if in wrong place mods, move if appropriate x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Red eyes - not medical but behavioural
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
Tiredness can make their eyes look a bit red. Tilly gets reddish eyes when she's really tired out. It's not something I've noticed when they're excited or anything though.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
Some cockers have droopy eyes in which the inner eyelid shows a little. If this is pigmented than it isn't too obvious, but if it is white, then as Nicola said, when they are tired it tends to become a bit red.

Buddy has one pigmented and one non-pigmented inner eyelid (excuse me, I always forget whether it is 2nd or 3rd so I am being a bit vague here!).

I will try to get a photo showing Buddy's eyes!

Offline Ori1

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »
Murphy always has got red eyes when he's over tired...the white bit looks really sore - but a good old nap puts it right!!!!!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
like this

or this

Biba is a grumpy arse but she aint got rage  ;)

Offline Ori1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
oh and she looks like butter wouldn't melt in the second pic... :005: :005: :005:

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »

Arrh  ..but the picture i took before this one shows her beating th C@@p out of Lola  ph34r

I think its just where the pupils dilate and light reflects off them...Biba has it alot when fearful,anxious or excited  :huh:

Offline Ori1

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
defo the light reflecting...Don't think Murph's gets this more the whites turning red when tired...

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
Some cockers have droopy eyes in which the inner eyelid shows a little. If this is pigmented than it isn't too obvious, but if it is white, then as Nicola said, when they are tired it tends to become a bit red.

Buddy has one pigmented and one non-pigmented inner eyelid (excuse me, I always forget whether it is 2nd or 3rd so I am being a bit vague here!).

I will try to get a photo showing Buddy's eyes!

Those eyes are just like my Teals; I have had people ask if she has a problem with her eye.  Nope, just that the rim isn't as tight on one side as it is on the other (she's still gorgeous though!)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »
Actually Buddy's are both baggy. Just that one is black the other white! Cute. Looks like he should wear a monacle! A real Lord!

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, i did mean it more like Bibas - ie the actual pupil bit of the eye, rather than the white bit?

I guess it must be light reflecting when he's excited (he doesn't do grumpy very often) xx :angel:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
Millies look like bibas but whenever light catches them (even daylight) not just in photos. The vet checked them and he said there is a lack of pigmentation at the back of the eye and although uncommon it's not abnormal. It is weird though especially when we're in the woods and I can see her eyes shining at me  :005:.

Millie

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »
Jacks eyes look red at night time when hes out and in certain lights during the day. Think its just the way the light reflects off them. He does look like something out of the omen though!!
His eye whites also go red when hes tired, especially in his left eye. That was really handy when he was a pup as we knew not to play with him and leave him to fall asleep so he didnt get cranky.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »
Millies look like bibas but whenever light catches them (even daylight) not just in photos. The vet checked them and he said there is a lack of pigmentation at the back of the eye and although uncommon it's not abnormal. It is weird though especially when we're in the woods and I can see her eyes shining at me  :005:.

Its the same with Bibas..the first photo has got flash on so an over exaggeration of the red .... but the second one is in daylight with no flash  :huh: we can normally tell how she is feeling in certain situations as her eyes give it away  ;) and it is spooky in the woods when you get a flash of red  ;)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
Neneh's eyes are like this, she can turn and look at you in ordinary daylight and the pupil is quite dilated and very red.
I was told by my vet that it is the light reflecting off the blood vessels. It can look scary though.