Author Topic: When does a stud dog have experience  (Read 2425 times)

Offline seaangler

When does a stud dog have experience
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
Can some explain this to me...(A stud dog) Right it has all its qualifications best show dog best of breed Ect Ect..need i go on... And the person who owns this dog is ask by others if she would breed with it....But the dog is Inexperience!!!(firsts timer you mite say)How do you make the dog experience...To breed for the first time...Some thing is not right hear in my mind!!!

I am sure if i was a dog (after all we are animals our selves).. and i saw this lovely bitch and with the wright hormones flowing surely nature would takes its course in telling the animal what to do or not...After all i see enough farm animals doing there buiness with out any help What so ever....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: When does a stud dog have experience
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:27:36 PM »
I can assure you that it is not always that straightforward Chris - domestic dogs are not farm animals and frequently do not "perform" when we want them to. Many young males don't have the first idea which end of a bitch is which and even if they have worked out which is the right end, they don't always manage to hit the spot. Even if a mating is achieved, human supervision is essential as often first-time dogs and bitches do not like being tied (a tie is something you won't have seen in farm animals) and can injure themselves trying to get away.

These are the reasons why it's generally advised that someone who is experienced in the management of stud dogs is on hand when mating an inexperienced dog to a bitch (particularly if the bitch is also inexperienced). It's never a case of leaving a dog and bitch alone together and hoping for the best, not if you care about your dog anyway.
Jane

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
Many young males don't have the first idea which end of a bitch is which and even if they have worked out which is the right end, they don't always manage to hit the spot.

Aint that the truth   :shades:  :lol2:

sorry!   ph34r
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
Many young males don't have the first idea which end of a bitch is which and even if they have worked out which is the right end, they don't always manage to hit the spot.

sorry!   ph34r

I knew I should have rephrased that :lol2:
Jane

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the information...

You are right i have seen meany a dog while abroad trying it the head way :005: Also locked together faceing away from each other...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »

Also locked together faceing away from each other...

I've no idea about breeding... but that's what a 'tie' is, I believe  ;)

sorry!   ph34r

I knew I should have rephrased that :lol2:

:005: :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »

Also locked together faceing away from each other...

I've no idea about breeding... but that's what a 'tie' is, I believe  ;)

Yes if they're doing that then they have managed to get it right!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Can I be really controversial here (ducks and runs for cover!) but Chris, your questions and your previous posts about your wife wanting to breed from Peggy just go to show how incredibly under-informed you both are about breeding cocker spaniels.

If you don't realise that a "tie" or dogs facing the wrong way is actually part of the mating process, or what to look for in a stud dog then you REALLY shouldnt be doing this!

Most breeders are finding it really hard to sell their pups in this climate, and you will find that even the friends who have asked you about puppies will often change their mind when it comes to handing over £££ for one!

Unless Peggy has won shows or proved herself in field trials etc, then her puppies wont be that desirable. Will you be having all the Optigen tests to make sure she is not carrying any genetic diseases? Can you risk the financial strain of looking after 9 or more puppies, should Peggy have that many, and none of them sell.

Im sorry to be on a soapbox here, but it makes me REALLY angry to hear people trying to make a quick buck by putting their pets life at risk and breeding second-rate puppies which gives good breeders a bad name!  >:D  >:D

Ive said my piece - Im sorry to cause offence but I feel very strongly about this.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
I agree with the above. Work Peggy in agility/gundog/showing etc to prove herself, get health tests done, and do tons and tons of research on mating, pregnancy, whelping and raising of pups.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
Fair point there...And i thank you for it....We have now decided against breeding our young peggy...But like i tried to explain we was not breeding for the sake of it....And be for any one else jumps on me I said that we had  friends and family that would have like one of our Peggy's pups..There was no way we was breeding her for Gain(other words for money)The wife wonted two more pups from our Peggy and the rest would have gone to friends and family...FREE ...Then i was hit with ...They will let you down and say they do not wont them...If my family said that they would like one that is there bond....Any left over we would have kept them our selves...

Quote:(If you don't realize that a "tie" or dogs facing the wrong way is actually part of the mating process)

I do realize this but been having problem with the computer all aftenoon...Also forgot to add with other dogs All trying to mount this poor bitch at the same time This happen in Corfu with a pack of dogs....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:46 AM »
Hiya,
I think that you have made a wise decision not to breed from your Peggy. Breeding cocker pups properly is a very time consuming and difficult process, both parents should also be proven in their fields be it show or working :blink:

So maybe the next step that you should take with Peggy (as she's still very young) is to train her up as a shooting dog through gun dog training or go to ring craft classes to start showing her (not sure if she's working or show strain?). Then if she proves herself very good at this you could investigate the correct health tests. After you have all of this information (health tests done, working ability known/successful showing ability) about how suitable she would be for potentially having a litter, contact reputable cocker stud dog owners. These will be people who work/trial or competitively show their dogs, have kennel affixes and be very concerned with the future, standard and welfare of their lines. These are the reputable breeders that will be able to tell you with authority if Peggy is in fact a top notch working/show cocker that would produce good quality pups. No reputable stud dog owner wants to put their stud dogs name into the pedigree of a sub standard pup, so you will get an honest answer as to whether she makes the grade  :D

If your family and friends want to own more pups that are just like Peggy then the best way to get pups that share all of the great attributes of Peggy would be to go back to your own breeder and inquire about any future litter plans they may have regarding the same dam and sire that produced Peggy  :blink: This way you yourselves will avoid all of the risks associated with breeding from your own dog and also satisfy all of your friends and family's needs by showing them where to source pups with the same breeding that is so admired in Peggy  :D

I do hope that this helps  :blink:

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Going off thread a bit but for anybody interested there is a seminar coming up in Surrey called 'Sex on Sunday' about stud work.. if anyone wants more details PM me and i'll forward it on  ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline seaangler

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »
Wrenside ..Thank you for a very interesting and understanding post ..And will take your honest and very valuable Wisdom ....Thank you...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
You're most welcome Chris  :-*

Good luck.

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »
I have a ried like you who wanted a litter from his girl because she was a good worker and family and friends all said they'd be interested in pups when the time came. He has a very close family so had no reason to doubt their sencerity. When the time came he already had 4 adult dogs and he kept two pups as he had wanted to do, the others went to family and friends. He now has 2 more pups back at around 5 mths of age because it didn't work out and family members gave them back to him thinking they would be better off with him. He's taken them back and also gained another dog. In total he now has 9 dogs most very young. He's finding it difficult but is trying to make it work.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.