Author Topic: Any cesar fans out there???  (Read 16751 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Any cesar fans out there???
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
 Have a look at this and watch the video.

http://tinyurl.com/97lh6c

and this

http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

and this

http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

not that I want to get into the argument again but just thought I'd share.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: Any cesar fans out there???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »
brilliant articles - thanks Mark.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
 I enjoyed them too and shall be passing them on to one or two misguided people I know  ;) . Thank you  :blink:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
Goodness, I have a lot to read now!  :005: Brilliant, thanks!

I have to confess, I've never seen the Dog Whisperer on TV. I finally found his books in a charity shop so I read them to see what he had to say (didn't want to give him any of my money ::)) The books must be a far cry from the tv programme, as they don't say anything controversial that I could find; they didn't really say anything at all--meaning there was no real information there, and he kept saying he's not a dog trainer, he rehabilitates dogs (what does that mean? "I'm not a teacher, I'm a prison guard"??)

I have no quarrel at all with the basic messages of the books, and hope they don't get lost in the fray: that dogs are dogs and not little furry people, and need to be respected and treated as such; that dogs need excercise and good nutrition, and that some behavioural problems can be traced to a lack of one or both; that dogs respect and respond to calm assertive energy, and that they pick up on and respond to energy and emotion.

These are very valuable premises, and can';t be stressed enough, IMO. I think one of the reasons that some dog professionals, such as a trainer, groomer or vet, can get very good results with some dogs is that they project that calm, assertive, self assured energy and aren't carrying emotional baggage about any issues the dog may have. I know when I am having a bad day, am stressed or angry, that my grooming clients will act up a lot more, and my own dogs become anxious and hyper. :-\  That is why most good training books stress training when you are feeling good, and to end the session if you start to feel negative emotions.

So I do feel that Cesar has a very good message as far as pointing out that dogs live in a world of energy and emotion and that a lot of their behaviour is based on that; it's just a shame that it is getting lost in all the controversy
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
So I do feel that Cesar has a very good message as far as pointing out that dogs live in a world of energy and emotion and that a lot of their behaviour is based on that; it's just a shame that it is getting lost in all the controversy

TBH, that is my biggest issue with CM - the words and the actions don't match  :-\

More and more people have become disillusioned with him; usually after watching one of his programmes with the sound turned off - if you aren't distracted by his rhetoric, then the body language of the dogs he is *rehabilitating* speaks for itself  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
I've been having a bit of an argy bargy with someone on another forum over CM  ::)  This FM thinks that CM can do no wrong and even gave an example of alpha rolling a dog who was scared of fireworks  :o  Apparently, he taught the dog, that it wasn't acceptable to be scared of fireworks  :o :huh: ::) There were a few people that backed me up, but just as many that thought CM was the best thing to ever happen to dogs.  In the end I gave up and bowed out of thread, but I like to think I got my point across  :shades:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
even gave an example of alpha rolling a dog who was scared of fireworks  :o 

:o :o :'( :'( >:D >:D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »

It is seriously a scary thread.  Forgot to say, that if anyone would like to see said thread, pm me and I'll send you the link.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

Exactly  >:D  I worry about the mentality about anyone who gets satisfaction from dominating another living creature, especially in order to teach it that fear is unacceptable  >:D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
Interesting articles just have a problem with the second link and it's nothing to do with CM. Lisa Mullinax author of the article says that dogs are not tame wolves and that dogs do not display behaviours that wolves do and says "such as regurgitating food for their young". But I have to challenge this statement as Penny had a litter of pups and began to regurgitate food for them as soon as they turned 4 weeks old and continued to do it until most of them left at 8 weeks old but continued to regurgitate for the 2 remaining pups that we kept well up til 1 yr old and on occasions has done it since They know when she's going to do it and actively hover round her and lick at her mouth until she vomits. What does this say about my dog, is she more wolf than dog, is it a natural behaviour that is still in dogs but people don't allow them to do it anymore, does raw feeding make a difference or are some of the conclusions about dogs and wolves inaccurate? I know of other canine mothers who regurgitate so I know Penny is not alone.

As for CM v positive training I think this debate will continue to divide dog people for a while yet.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »

How cruel is that, My old girl is scared stiff of fireworks, the very thought of punishing her for this is so sad  :'(

Funnily enough, when we go for a walk in woods near us (two different places) there are usually people shooting in the distance, but that does not seem to bother her at all - just ambles on taking no notice!! funny pooch

Not a Cesar fan here, nor of the peeps from Dog Borstal!!
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »

TBH, that is my biggest issue with CM - the words and the actions don't match  :-\

More and more people have become disillusioned with him; usually after watching one of his programmes with the sound turned off - if you aren't distracted by his rhetoric, then the body language of the dogs he is *rehabilitating* speaks for itself  :-\

I've watched a few episodes and not thought much either way of the programme. Just watched it with the sound off....   :'( :'( :'(.

Millie

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »
I've been having a bit of an argy bargy with someone on another forum over CM  ::)  This FM thinks that CM can do no wrong and even gave an example of alpha rolling a dog who was scared of fireworks  :o  Apparently, he taught the dog, that it wasn't acceptable to be scared of fireworks  :o :huh: ::) There were a few people that backed me up, but just as many that thought CM was the best thing to ever happen to dogs.  In the end I gave up and bowed out of thread, but I like to think I got my point across  :shades:

Which forum? I'd love a read you never know I might even join. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »

The videos make for disturbing viewing  :'(  :'( and some of the still shots on the other link are quite upsetting....you can see just by the poor dogs posture that it is scared  :o

I do agree with the basics he suggests of a good diet and regular exercise but thats about it  :huh: i wouldnt use any of the methods and couldnt stand by and watch someone else do that to my dogs either  >:(

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »

Which forum? I'd love a read you never know I might even join. :D

Me too! Is it digital spy by any chance?

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.