Author Topic: Any cesar fans out there???  (Read 16862 times)

Offline kb

• Site Member
Re: Any cesar fans out there???
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
To me that dog looked like "normal" until he nudged/kicked it. Maybe I missed something, or maybe I don't understand dogs very well. I didn't see anything aggressive in the way it looked at the other dog.

I don't get this whole dominance thing anyway. Isn't the case that dogs don't really show physical dominance.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
To me that dog looked like "normal" until he nudged/kicked it.

I missed the kick until you pointed it out - that dog was definitely provoked into reacting...... >:(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »
It was quite a subtle kick - it was only when I watched it back to see what the actual problem was, that I noticed it.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
I have seen him do it on a fair few occasions To get the dogs attention..((That i do not agree with)).. a tug on the lead will to do that...With out a kick...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »
A simple reliable command can get a dogs attention - like "watch" - no need to tug anything.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
certainly no need for a tug on the lead. >:(
This clip sums him up for me, it's all about confrontation and being the big I am.
He looked a little startled to me. :005:
just don't try that at home folks!
As a professional dog trainer, i'll not be trying that either! ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer/3252/Videos#tab-Videos/05198_00

I must have been in a parallel universe but I've never actually seen CM in 'action' before (I don't usually watch 'before' & 'after' programmes of any sort) & I must say I was absolutely staggered by his treatment of that poor Husky.........what the hell was he trying to achieve??!!

If I'd been that dog I'd have bitten his bloomin' head off, not just scratched his arm!!!! >:D  The poor dog looked so unhappy & subdued when it was lying on the floor. :'(  :'(

I certainly wouldn't allow him anywhere near my sensitive dogs with a barge pole!!! >:D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
certainly no need for a tug on the lead. >:(
This clip sums him up for me, it's all about confrontation and being the big I am.
He looked a little startled to me. :005:
just don't try that at home folks!
As a professional dog trainer, i'll not be trying that either! ;)

I had not seen this clip and I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
i've just watched that video and am so distressed at the treatment of that poor dog.  he did nothing wrong that I could see except look at the other dog - no aggression at all. he was kicked into a reaction and then had the breath choked out of him by that collar. that this could be shown on tv and as an endorsed method to control dogs makes me sick to the stomach. I certainly wont watch his shows again - if viewing figures drop maybe tv will drop him

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer/3252/Videos#tab-Videos/05198_00

I came across this while reading a bit about Cesar Milan.

I am a bit astonished at this tbh, I don't know how the situation evolved.

Some of you may have seen it before - but I don't get what this dog did wrong to start with.

That poor dog, that actually made me cry. I'm sorry but anyone who can condone a trainer who suffocates a dog into submision needs their head examined.

Millie

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »
I've just watched that clip with no sound so I didn't have to hear his twaddle, it has left me feeling desperately sad for that poor dog, by bringing what looked like a slip lead that high up round the dogs neck, he was struggling to breath.
Watching the first few seconds over a few times, I could see no body language from that dog to suggest it was going to go for the other one. I wish someone would give CM a good kicking, nasty little man.

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
I have to admit that I started out as a CM fan ph34r. Luckily I had the sense to want to find out a bit more and had found this forum before getting my pup. A quick CM search soon set me straight and I have learnt a lot more in the process.
Today we had some friends round for lunch and after seeing my pup the conversation soon came round to training. They think CM is amazing and the alpha roll is certainly helping with their 8 year old Akitas dog aggression problems >:(
I didn't want to get into a huge row over lunch, and hey I fell for it at first too so I know where they're coming from, so I just told them that a lot of people disagree with his methods and left it at that. I will now be sending them those links. They are nice people who love their dog to bits and would never intentionally hurt it and I'm sure that with more info they will make the right decisions.
So I just wanted to let you know that you are making a difference and that COL is slowly rehabilitating owners. Now if we could just get the silly man off the telly...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LisaB

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2009, 01:58:10 AM »
Too true,  but if you mean, yes the dog remembers where the biscuits were kept, this proves the dog had a response called smell - not memory.  If you change where the biscuits are kept, the dogs would still smell them, this isn't an example of a higher order cognitive response called memory or reasoning, as a dogs smell is far more developed than ours. 

What is clear,is that dogs have a memory for emotionn and a capacity for reasoning, which is a higher order cognitive response.   (This why I used the example of dogs that have experienced trauma and are therefore "holding on" to those memories and have reasoned and learned due to their experience :D.)

Offline seaangler

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »
Dare i say i have seen Barbara Woodhouse use the tug of the lead more than once during her training.......As she was suppose to be a professional dog trainer.
Or am i blind at the amount of times i have seen dogs being pulled(or tugged back at dog shows)....or is this being forgoten....To be said....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy