Author Topic: Any cesar fans out there???  (Read 16755 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Any cesar fans out there???
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
There is maybe a difference between being tugged and being almost choked........... :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
Dare i say i have seen Barbara Woodhouse use the tug of the lead more than once during her training.......As she was suppose to be a professional dog trainer.

....and little boys used to be sent up chimneys, too - that doesn't mean it was right!  ::)   

As our understanding of dogs has developed, it has become known that physically dominating a dog is not the most effective way to get results. It can have unintended consequences AND it causes discomfort and/or pain......why anyone would want to deliberately hurt creatures we choose to share our lives with is beyond me  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
My father always trained our dogs believing in the theory that you had to show them who was boss. This was in the 70s and 80s. He was never abusive to them, but we had choke chains, and they would have been smacked on the nose etc for doing wrong.

We had dogs that were very strong characters, probably not very tolerant, snappy with other people, not great with other dogs. In fact at one stage we had 2 spayed bitches together who fought viciously with each other. However, they were obedient and they obeyed his every command.

Now when I look back though, I know why they were snappy and intolerant and to a certain degree, I may even see why they fought the way they did.

They didn't do things for my dad out of respect, as such. They were doing it out of fear - imo.

Unfortunately he is still like this. He expects Honey to do what he says and mostly she does. She does approach him herself, but she is licking, wagging, pawing him - all signs of stress. When she is near me and he approaches, she growls at him. She isn't protecting me, she is fearful of him.

He cannot understand the way I train her, but he knows I get results and they have seen the improvement in her.

He still insists she thinks she isn't a dog :shades: He adores Honey in his own way, but he thinks dogs should be dominated. I can see how that kind of treatment affects her and know how she would react to that kind of treatment, and it wouldn't be positive.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
I hate the way in the interview recently where he brushes off his critics as if it was a personality clash and its ok to treat dogs in this way
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
I didn't realise CM was so sexist either - apparently women are "the only species that is wired up different from the rest" so we aren't really capable of being good leaders ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1
Jane

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »
I didn't realise CM was so sexist either - apparently women are "the only species that is wired up different from the rest" so we aren't really capable of being good leaders

I am surprised he admits to that after spending the start of his marriage thinking his wife was a sub species, only to be put firmly in his place by her and changing his views.........(from his book) :huh:

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »
I didn't realise CM was so sexist either - apparently women are "the only species that is wired up different from the rest" so we aren't really capable of being good leaders ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

Gender and leadership is a whole different topic of discussion - and one I suspect CM has little to contribute to.

I can't even look at the man, he makes my flesh crawl.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
I didn't realise CM was so sexist either - apparently women are "the only species that is wired up different from the rest" so we aren't really capable of being good leaders

I am surprised he admits to that after spending the start of his marriage thinking his wife was a sub species, only to be put firmly in his place by her and changing his views.........(from his book) :huh:

Maybe the DVD out-takes referred to in that link were made before he wrote the book, not sure?
Jane

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
Or he could just be full of poo....... ph34r

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
I've created a new thread for the more philosophical posts which were on this thread but which were going off topic (the topic of this thread being Cesar Milan). Here is the new thread :- http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=54376.0
Jane