Author Topic: What made you choose "that one" from the litter??  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: What made you choose "that one" from the litter??
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 11:27:07 PM »
we were allowed to see the litter very early (Jarv's breeder is a friend of ours) so went to see them with the intention of getting a bitch, solid black or liver and white.

there were 6 in the litter, and all the bitches were spoken for, so we had a choice of 2 brown dogs.  One was a really rich chocolate, and really chunky - the other was a bit scrawny and gingery with white paw tips and a grumpy face.  The grumpy one laid on my hands and poked his tongue out.

So that's how Jarv chose us (not a bad choice I reckon in the end  :luv: :luv: )

We knew we couldn't see his temperament and personality at 2 weeks but we figured as both Jarv's dam and sire are very level dogs and wonderful with both humans and other dogs that he would be ok  ;)  At 4 weeks he was interested  in everything but yet very laid back and played with the others only on his own terms - that hasn't changed  :lol2:

at 7 weeks he was still the littlest (probably due to the fact that he wasn't interested in fighting for food and was more interested in the outside world) and the first sign of the Jarv-to-be was when his breeder wormed him before we bought him home and with a look of pure disgust he spun his head and the whole dosage went all over my face.  Fair enough really  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
Ollie was the last one left, but when we enquired about him, there was three of them left, and we decided that we would want Ollie. So when he was the last one left when we visited, we knew it was destiny and he was the right one for us. :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »
I went for lunch with the breeder to see the litter of pups as they were off to their forever homes that day  :D so there was NO intention of us getting a cocker at all - we had jock (lab) at home and we had always had labs.

Lovely pups all of them and we had a great lunch with our friends until her husband came in and said that one still needs a home  >:D Could have killed him for saying that infront of the kids (and me  ph34r ) I started sending pics to OH mobile

The next day we all went bak to the friends and brought her home with us - that was Fern 3 years ago now

Hmmm Braan - was a different story altogether. Jock was getting old and I had said a few times we need a younger dog to play with Fern, so we looked at some up for rescue but never got past looking and then decided no we'll just stick with Jock (lab) and fern.

Then my son was in hospital (tonsils out) and I got a text from crazyspaniels, just off to pick up your new puppy  :o (He was 14 weeks old and being re homed) - that was on the monday and on the thursday I text and said no by 7pm on the thursday I changed my mind (and eventually told OH about him)

The friday night I drove down to meet Crazyspaniels who needed him to be fostered for the weekend, and she knew she would never get him back once he had arrived here  :005: I threaten to send him back to her every now and then

Jock was also a rescue but his predecessors were all from pups (Calli, barney, smoke, socks, buster, flint, diesel and Monty RIP all my loves  :luv: )

Offline mrselson

• Finn
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »
We were really lucky in that we had the whole litter (8) to choose from because we were first to see them.  We definately wanted another boy but didn't want a solid black because our beloved Jaffa who had recently passed was black and in my opinion irreplaceable. The breeder sent us pics in email and I narrowed it down between the solid Chocolate and the Choc roan boys.  When we got there we saw all the pups and he bought the two we liked most into the living room, both were really sociable happy pups but Finn stood out because he was so mischevous, chewing my sons trainers and then hanging off the tablecloth  :005: So the decision was made it would be the solid Chocolate.  However, these things are never easy and I would happily have had them both if it weren't for the readies. And  so, Finn is now 16 weeks old and he's just gorgeous and never ends to make us laugh, he is just perfect for us.  :D

Offline GillSarge

• Harley, Chester, Flint & Benson
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
With Flint, I knew I wanted a chocolate colour dog, went to see litter there were 2 choc dogs, one had a bigger white blaze on his face! so he was ours, he was the quieter of the 2.  With Chester, the breeder chose for us, we didn't mind, it was the one she wanted to keep,  and with Harley, I knew I wanted a blue roan dog, he was the only dog in the litter that was blue roan (he had 2 sister's blue roan) the rest chocolate or orange roan, and Benson came to us as he was blind, so we had a chocolate roan too.  :D  I must say it's lovely walking so many different coloured dogs, many ppl comment on what lovely colour's they all are.

Offline alfiesmum

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
We had a choice of 2 ...blue roan or orange roan boy..i had my heart set on the blue roan before we went to see them but when we got there...
u guessed it....Alfie picked us.. :D we only had my 2 little kids with me who were 18months and 3 then..he came over and loved me and the kids so much..wouldnt leave us alone..hes the same now!!
The little blue roan pup was not interested and i didnt like his markings that much as he was very black/blue iykwim!
Alfie was ours!! 

Offline Surfer Rosa

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 01:31:43 PM »
Eddie was our first cocker and he sat on me for the duration of the time that we were at the breeders; his brother was a mentalist (a very cute one, mind), but Ed looked lovely and quiet. As he was our first ever pup I chose him because he looked quite chilled and I thought we would cope with him well due to how laid back he appeared. Well, you know what happened next don't you? We got him home and he turned out to be very hyper dog indeed. He was just tired when we were at the breeders!  >:D I'm surprised we got another one after him (let alone four); he was a right bloomin' handful.

And so to my boy Jake (my favourite strawberry blonde :luv:). We chose Baby J for all the wrong reasons. He was the last in the litter, he had been booked, but the person decided they no longer wanted him, he was ugly, he had a gammy eye, he was older, more cumbersome, more of a heifer, etc, etc. I was convinced that he wouldn't be wanted/picked by anyone for all of these reasons and I wanted him to have a good home and family - not to be left outdoors with a bunch of other dogs with no one to make him feel special. So, we paid our money and brought him home with us. And, I am so very, very glad that we did - he is truly a lovely boy; he absolutely adores my 16 year old son and vice versa. He's a little nervy, but we're working with him. He's also turned into quite a handsome adult lad, but it wouldn't have mattered if he had kept that puppy ugliness he would have always been a little special to us.

Now to Setomooncalf (my first blue roan). We were up in the very North of Scotland, in a tent at Dunnet Beach and the night before I was about to bid a tearful farewell to my beloved Highlands I had a dream about a blue roan cocker spaniel. We came down the road home and I phoned the breeder who just so happened to have pups ready; I assumed it was fate and we brought him home to live with us. He's definitely my boy through and through and has been from the moment we walked through the door. He's a right clingy sook of a dog right enough who wants to be near me wherever I am in the house - I can't even go to the loo without him following me!

Then there is the legend we call Yoshi - he's 14 and a half weeks old. All the family and everyone I know thought it was a terrible idea to get another dog, so, we hemmed and hawed about it for quite a wee while. Then I phoned a breeder 'just to enquire' you understand  :angel: and she had two week old pups - blue boys, a black and white and a  wee girly. We went up to just 'have a wee look' you understand. I picked him out of the muttley crew - he surely had something about him; my partner liked another pup - a wee black and white (he'll be a right braw wee dug for somebody), but we thought he would be too much of a handful for Ed our oldest boy (bit boisterous even at only 5 weeks). Brought Bishi Bashi Yoshi him home with us 3 weeks later; he's fit in very well with our other boys who now don't have one intact ear between them due to his swinging on them.

Having four isn't that much different from having three! Although the move from two to three took a bit of acclimatisation, I must say.
Eddie, Jake, Setomooncalf and Yoshi
AKA: Abraham Stinkin', Russell Bustle, Jimmy 'The Chin' Smellynellio and Googly Puff.

Offline LynseyAndChester

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
Molly (our Springer) was one of two left from a litter of six (I think) by the time we decided on a breed. She was cheeky and cuddley and, as gorgeous as her sister was, we couldn't not have taken her. She just fitted in, she's still bouncy (Springer.. Go figure right?) and loving and just a sweetiepie. A bit mental but lovely.

Chester.. we didn't have a choice. He was the last one left, the bruiser of the litter. God knows why no one else snapped him up cause he was just the cuddliest little thing ever.. and still is. My friend's cocker (Diesel, blue roan worker) is friends with Molly and mum fell in love with him, decided she wanted Molly to have her very own Diesel. So really, he's Molly's doggy, not mine.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
We always wanted a liver Cocker and knew we wanted a boy and that he must be undocked and health-tested.  Thought I would never find all the right boxes ticked, but I did and when we saw Milo's litter there were 2 solid liver boys and we had the pick of the 2.  Milo was the first one I saw in the pictures and I just loved the white patch on his nose.   :luv:  When we met the pups, the breeder told us that Milo was a very thoughtful pup and was always the last to do anything because he was weighing up the situation.  He wasn't scared or nervous, just thought about stuff rather than charging headlong into it.  Our previous Cocker was "a bull in a china shop" version and rarely thought about the results of his actions, so we wanted a pup that was very different.  When he went to sleep with his head resting on OH's foot, we were sold.  We definitely made the right choice.   :luv:

With Mocha, we weren't really even looking for a second dog, but Helen (Livercake) posted her story on here and another forum and I just couldn't get her picture out of my head.  I went to sleep thinking about her and woke up still thinking about her.  As Helen needed to find her a home at short notice we went and collected her within the week and she's been here ever since.   :luv:  Another great decision, me and OH don't make many.   ::)  ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23:28 PM »
Sasha and Monty are both rehomes, so no choice there. When we got Ellie, the breeder said she had one blue roan girl left and a couple of blacks. [she had 2 litters] I said I wanted the blue roan and we went to see them. She was so tiny and just gorgeous but OH preferred the blacks. Ellie was a cheeky little madam but so cuddly. So I let OH pick and he picked our little black girl.He did say I could have them both [thank dog I had my sensible head on] Ellie is very loving and a pretty girl, but she is the boss  :005: I love her to bits.would still like a blue roan tho  :lol2:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline TeresaUK

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 12:45:15 AM »
All the puppies had been reserved when we went to look at the litter. Only Ellie was left. We were happy to put down a deposit as we felt that all the puppies were equally lovely and we wanted a girl. We are delighted with Ellie - she has completely stolen our hearts!