Author Topic: what food is bad for dogs  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
what food is bad for dogs
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
most of us know that chocolate is poisonous for dogs, what else should we not feed to our dogs and why?

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
Re: what food is bad for dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
I've read lots of threads about poisonous foods etc, what should be done if they do eat these foods!? Martys eaten severl squares of hersheys chocolate and about half a tube of primula in one go, should i just expect some really runny poos and a bit of vomit??!

raisins,grapes and onions are also bad

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
Grapes i did not know that, i give bob grapes all the time, what can they do to him

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
Its the same as raisins i think, i'm not too sure there was a really good thread on here with a list of all foods that are bad for the dog and the reasons behind it i'll try and find it
x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
Chocolate, Raisins, Grapes, Onions, Macademia Nuts and Xylitol are ones that spring to mind....

Hershey's is milk chocolate, isn't it?? Marty should be fine - may well have an upset tummy, but do keep an eye on him, some dogs react more than others (more serious side effects, normally only associated with larger amounts, include tremours and convulsions...).  Honey had a small bar of good dark chocolate when she was a pup, and suffered no ill effects at all!  ;)

I think grapes can cause kidney damage...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:33:44 PM »
Grapes i did not know that, i give bob grapes all the time, what can they do to him

They are highly toxic to dogs and can cause acute kidney failure  :-\

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/6640.html

Some dogs may eat them without any obvious problems but it is just not worth the risk imo.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
Chocolate, Raisins, Grapes, Onions, Macademia Nuts and Xylitol are ones that spring to mind....

Hershey's is milk chocolate, isn't it?? Marty should be fine - may well have an upset tummy, but do keep an eye on him, some dogs react more than others (more serious side effects, normally only associated with larger amounts, include tremours and convulsions...).  Honey had a small bar of good dark chocolate when she was a pup, and suffered no ill effects at all!  ;)

I think grapes can cause kidney damage...

Hersheys is milk chocolate and i think the cocoa content is quite low so it should be ok, will just keep an eye on him, have made sure he drinks lots of water. it'S not the first time, and he seems fine now which is lucky
x

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
whooo :o thank you No more grape then i will stop eating them as well

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
You will be fine - they are not toxic to us  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
No that's not what i ment  :005: what i mean is if he sees me eating them he will wonder why he can no longer have one as well

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »
Peach stones have cyanide in them I think, but unlikely to poison unless the dog crunches them up. More likely is that they may cause a blockage, as can corn on the cob - apparently a fairly common occurrence in the summer barbecue season.

William swallowed a peach stone last summer and I had days of anxiety and poo watching! Never saw it emerge, but he was fine luckily.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »
I had heard about grapes, but I didn't realise how toxic they were, but not that mine get anything except RC, Tripe, Gravy bones and the odd bit of cheese or sausage for training. I'm a mean mum like that.  ;) I don't know how Marty could eat Hershey chocolate.  :P  :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
I had heard about grapes, but I didn't realise how toxic they were, but not that mine get anything except RC, Tripe, Gravy bones and the odd bit of cheese or sausage for training. I'm a mean mum like that.  ;) I don't know how Marty could eat Hershey chocolate.  :P  :005:

Marty would eat anything given half the chance, including frozen peas when they fall out of the freezer. I think Hersheys is an aquired taste, i like it but i do prefer dairy milk
x

Offline GillSarge

• Harley, Chester, Flint & Benson
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
Apprently if a dog eats chocolate it has the same effect on them as taking paracentmol!  it's not now the ill effects will happen, (they may get an upset tummy/be sick) its later on in life  :-\  Can cause kidney problems.  We found this out when our dear Chester decided that he would chew a packet of tablets! (we were not sure if he did swallow any, but could not take the chance) we had to take them both to the vets overnight to have drip put in with the antidote!  An expensive lesson!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
No that's not what i ment  :005: what i mean is if he sees me eating them he will wonder why he can no longer have one as well

You are joking aren't you?  :shades:  :huh:
Julie and Watson