Author Topic: Suggestions on the best food??  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions on the best food??
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:09 PM »
William, castrated male, has been on Burns for about 1 year now and it suits him far better than Arden Grange or JWB did. He tended to put weight on with those and also to throw up a bit of horrid yellow bile most mornings. 

Molly used to throw up this yellow stuff to, and it was when she was on AG.
A lot of people have had this problem and solved it by giving their dog something to eat before bedtime.  The yellow bile sick seems to be caused by having an empty stomach for too long  ;)  Don't think it would have anything to do with the AG.  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 07:33:49 AM »
My two did well on Burns (great for keeping the weight in check  ;) - ) but I've moved to Natural Balance now as a grain free option.  I feed half raw, ie kibble morning and raw evening - can't get hold of Orijen here  :'(

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:47 AM »
William, castrated male, has been on Burns for about 1 year now and it suits him far better than Arden Grange or JWB did. He tended to put weight on with those and also to throw up a bit of horrid yellow bile most mornings. 

Molly used to throw up this yellow stuff to, and it was when she was on AG.
A lot of people have had this problem and solved it by giving their dog something to eat before bedtime.  The yellow bile sick seems to be caused by having an empty stomach for too long  ;)  Don't think it would have anything to do with the AG.  :-\

Molly gets fed 150grams a day split in to two meals and it was only when she was on AG. Since on Burns she has not done it at all.

William has always had his feed split into 2 meals and had a bedtime biscuit as well, so in his case I'm very sure it was something in both AG and JWB that caused the yellow bile, same as Molly, especially as it stopped immediately when I changed him to Burns. I know they're good foods, but maybe a bit too rich for some dogs?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »

His Retriever friend Ruby, who gets colitis and cystitis and puts weight on easily, also does well on Burns.

Is she on the Pork & potato flavour? My vet told me that is very good for dogs who get colitis and she said a lot of golden retrievers are on it as they a prone to colitis.

Ruby is on the Duck flavour, but I'll mention the Pork & Potato to her owner. Thanks Emily.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »

Dylan also brings up yellow bile, but just now and again. He still did when on the Burns.  They both have a couple of biscuits last thing at night.  Perhaps it is to do with having an empty stomach overnight.  He seems much better with having something to eat before bedtime.

Offline Joeysmum

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replay's :), what i think i will do is get small bags of the ones mentioned and see which one joey enjoys more and just keep to it until he tells me he wants something new. Think i will also look into the Ojium (Spelling) puppy ones as he loves small biscets. The only problem I'm having now is he wont eat his breakfast/dinner/night snack straight away even if i take it away from him and then give it back at a later time :(. Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this as he's turning into quite the grazer and the other dogs tend to eat his food :(. Not good when hes on expensive food and they arnt lol.

P.s I didn't know about the trials they did on dogs. !!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help :)

Nessy

Offline Elspeth

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replay's :), what i think i will do is get small bags of the ones mentioned and see which one joey enjoys more and just keep to it until he tells me he wants something new. Think i will also look into the Ojium (Spelling) puppy ones as he loves small biscets. The only problem I'm having now is he wont eat his breakfast/dinner/night snack straight away even if i take it away from him and then give it back at a later time :(. Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this as he's turning into quite the grazer and the other dogs tend to eat his food :(. Not good when hes on expensive food and they arnt lol.

P.s I didn't know about the trials they did on dogs. !!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help :)

Nessy
Fern was a grazer until she got Orijen. Now it's gone in seconds!

Offline Monty Mumma

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

We swapped our boy onto James wellbeloved about 6 months ago (the lamb and veg) as it was pretty much the only one we could find that didn't contain all the cereals and grains that we had been told were bad for dogs. 

Monty seems to love it and he has a wonderful healthy shiney coat and a happy little boy! One vet highly recommended it another rolled his eyes when I told him what we fed him (made me feel like I fed him crap) and recommended hills science plan but only because the surgery was full of the stuff and clearly wanted to sell some of it.

Glad to see so many rating JWB.

Offline sassnb

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:37 PM »
Hi again, well Parys May has been converted to James Wellbeloved (cheaper than Orijen - hard to get round here)...and I'm pleased to say she wolfs it down - she LOVES it!!Now I can rest easy that she is eating GOOD food...she's on fish & rice at the moment, but the choice of flavours is another plus point too! Thanks guys!x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
Hi again, well Parys May has been converted to James Wellbeloved (cheaper than Orijen - hard to get round here)...and I'm pleased to say she wolfs it down - she LOVES it!!Now I can rest easy that she is eating GOOD food...she's on fish & rice at the moment, but the choice of flavours is another plus point too! Thanks guys!x

So glad you have found something that suits her and she enjoys.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline moll

• Site Member
  • Chester Copperpot Conker Woods
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:01:32 PM »
I have just been sent a 'group invitation' on Facebook which informed me about the animal testing Iams had done.. :'( feel AWFUL having fed Chester Eukanuba on his breeder's recommendation. I know a lot of these Fbook groups are scandalmongering but having Googled the issue I am so switching my dog's food!!

Searching for food recommendations, I have found this thread really useful. Thought I'd comment and bring this topic up, since other users may see the Facebook group and do a search as I did.
Thanks to everyone who contriubuted to this thread, I am now browsing for stockists of the recommended brands :)

www.myspace.com/thechesterwoods
[img width= height=]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/66/killingtinyoh8.jpg[/img]

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »
mine are on arden grange at the moment but i have been trying different foods lately. as bru had colitis and i couldnt get any weight on him, the lamb and rice one seems to have done the trick but i have to buy online, but Ella who has been on a diet since ive had her has put on a little weight so i am having to watch her on it,and she has had the yellow bile thing a couple of times, i thought it was because she eats her food so quickly but it has only happened on the Arden G
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 07:04:09 AM »
I used to feed Dennis JWB but he had wind and sometimes sloppy poos  ph34r since switching to AG he is much better  :D I would like to try Orijen one day though as it seems to get rave reviews  :-\
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 07:57:26 AM »
Mine loved Orijen but I can't get it in a local store so I've changed to Robbies and Luaths (Burns brother).  I can get it in the nearest pet shop and they seem to like it too. Having said that, the shop was out of stock for the last lot and I ended up ordering it in in which case I'd go back to the Orijen if it becomes an issue.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 09:38:46 AM »
Mine loved Orijen but I can't get it in a local store so I've changed to Robbies and Luaths (Burns brother).  I can get it in the nearest pet shop and they seem to like it too. Having said that, the shop was out of stock for the last lot and I ended up ordering it in in which case I'd go back to the Orijen if it becomes an issue.

I sent for some samples of this - it's the first time I've ever known Dennis to turn his nose up at anything - he wouldn't go near it  :005: The kibble they sent was a bit better but he wasn't keen, Have just ordered more AG but I might try Orijen next time  ;)
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo