Author Topic: What Is Lemon Roan? How D'you Tell In A Pup?  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
What Is Lemon Roan? How D'you Tell In A Pup?
« on: September 01, 2004, 05:26:47 PM »
No photo as yet but the 2 day old cocker boy is white!

Pink skin. Pink ears.
The tiniest, faintest possible traces of something (definitely not blue) on the back. The vet thinks orange.  :unsure:  Maybe.  Could it be lemon? Dad had 2 lemon siblings. I saw them but I can't really remember much.

Certainly when he was born my partner said, "What's this? It's a Labrador."
So it came as a bit of a surprise.
It IS a cocker.

Will post photo soon but am interested if lemon is a genuine colour or just a kind of orange.  

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:52:36 PM »
I read a book on cockers that called a dog a lemon roan. I think it is a beautiful colour and have always fancied this colour, but they seem to be quite rare.
My friend has one that I would describe as lemon roan but she says its an orange roan.  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 09:56:46 PM »
According to the description of a lemon roan, it seems like a very pale orange.  Our neighbours orange roan bitch is so pale she's practically white, but is still classed as orange, I assume because the colour comes through after the pups are registered.  Molly was almost completely white (with just one tiny pale orange spot) when she came home to us but now has a lot of roan.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 10:06:31 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 11:21:32 PM »
You cannot decide for sure what colours puppies are at only 2 days old. All oranges are born very pale & start off white - the colour deepens as time goes on. Unless you have Working Cocker breeding in your pedigrees, then the pup will be orange roan or orange & white. If you wish to see a photo of an adult lemon & white Cocker, there is one on the Cocker Club website here (this is a Working Cocker bitch)

Jane
Jane

lynseyloo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 08:18:08 AM »
You cannot decide for sure what colours puppies are at only 2 days old. All oranges are born very pale & start off white - the colour deepens as time goes on. Unless you have Working Cocker breeding in your pedigrees, then the pup will be orange roan or orange & white. If you wish to see a photo of an adult lemon & white Cocker, there is one on the Cocker Club website here (this is a Working Cocker bitch)

Jane
oh Jane she is just adorable!   :wub:  :wub: although I never realised in all my time of swooning over them that they weren't a 'show' colour.  I couldn't see mysel ownin a working strain, too much like hard work and Jessies bad enough.   I have been swooning over orange roans all this time an confusing myself I like two colours, I think  :lol:  oh the fogginess is dissapearing as I type..orange roan orange roan.  Guess what my next colours gonna be... bet ya cant guess  ;)

but then there's still the black and white..   :unsure:   :lol:  

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 12:20:29 PM »
Thanks for the link. I guess he'll be orange roan then.

He has FTChampions in his pedigree on Dad's side but that isn't the same as working cocker... :(  or is it?

Suppose I just must wait.  :unsure:  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 12:38:46 PM »
He has FTChampions in his pedigree on Dad's side but that isn't the same as working cocker... :(  or is it?

Yes it is the same - if a dog is a FT Ch, he or she is a Working Cocker. You may have to wait a few weeks before you can say for sure what colour this puppy is, though if the pads of the feet stay pink or partly pink, then you can safely say he is an "..and white" rather than a roan.

Jane
Jane

Offline cassie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 02:19:11 PM »
Rhona was a lemon roan when she was a lil puppy she still is a pup but she is orange on her back but lemon on her face and head she looks all orange but if u really look u can tell she is orange.Its strange but true and very confusing ;)  
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 02:52:05 PM »
Rhona was always orange Cassie - it just takes a while for the colouring to develop ;) It's also normal for the head/ears of an orange to be a lighter shade than the body patches sometimes

Jane
Jane

Offline cassie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 03:54:24 PM »
Thanks jane its just the vet said when she was 6 months that she was goin to be lemon :blink:  
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 04:28:26 PM »
Thanks jane its just the vet said when she was 6 months that she was goin to be lemon :blink:
Vets are very knowledgable about some things but they are not experts on Cocker colours generally ;)

Jane
Jane

ziggy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 08:10:17 PM »
the breeder i had mabel from had two orange roans,unfortunately the mom sat on one and suffocated her,and the other who i was having died from respiritory problems,the others where all black,strange how you can get all these different colours from two parents,mabels mom was gold and her dad white with large black patches gorgeous,while i,m here do you also get throwbacks,i mean can two blacks produce a gold,,or black and tan?etc...

ziggy jasper and mabel xxx

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 09:47:30 PM »
Aha!

Pads are pure pink at the moment.

Have to wait and see then. He may turn out (if survivng) to be orange and white.

Thanks, folks.  B)  

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 10:25:54 PM »
Hi Ziggy

Jane's the person to ask about colour genetics - it puts my head in a spin just trying to understand parts of it. I can answer one of your questions though.  Morgan's mum and dad were both black and Morgan is one of two gold pups in a litter of 7.  His breeder also half expected a black and tan as I think both parents carried the tan gene.  These are not throwbacks, just colour you can expect from breeding solid cockers.  Most breeders will mate solid to solid or parti to parti.  This is the extent of my knowledge on the subject - pretty limmited as you can see  :D  :lol:  :rolleyes:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys