Author Topic: Infected Jowls  (Read 9920 times)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Infected Jowls
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:37:34 PM »
I have a problem  (not personally you understand) with infected jowels. I have tried TCP and this has been working but i wondered if any one knew of a wonder treatment or natural remedy.
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Infected Jowls
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
There are various ways of treating lipfold dermatitis - some work for some dogs & some don't. I have found that cleaning the area well with diluted Hibiscrub, then drying the area before applying Thornit powder works a treat (best done before bedtime as the mouth stays drier at night). This helps dry the lipfolds out whereas ointments just contribute to keeping the area moist (and its moistness that makes the problem worse). A homeopathic remedy that sometimes helps is Graphites (available from most high street chemists/health food shops)

Jane
Jane

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »
thanks Jane i'll have a go.

Clare
Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline PennyB

Infected Jowls
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
Gosh never thought of using thornitts
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Infected Jowls
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 02:59:13 PM »
Nor me Penny but I'd run out of the medicated powder I normally use for Lily (who tends to gets lipfold trouble when we have a spell of humid weather) so thought I'd give Thornit a try & found it worked really well, better than anything else I've tried :D

Jane
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Infected Jowls
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 05:38:21 PM »
Vegas has got a spot of lipfold dermatitis at the minute and I had been cleaning it with Hibiscrub but going to try the Thornit tonight ;)

Thanks for that tip Jane :D  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 07:04:58 PM »
If it is really bad and recurring, consider having the op.  Jamie had the op once cleaning and antibiotics stopped working - but his was very bad.  The op worked a treat and completed solved the lipfold problems.

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 09:49:13 AM »
A great natural remedy is apple cider vinegar. Buy it raw and unfiltered from health food shops. Wipe it directly onto the smelly areas and add a few drops to the dogs food as well. It cleared up my girl's smelly lips when nothing else worked, and my breeder swears by it as well now. It kills bacteria on contact.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Infected Jowls
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 09:52:23 AM »
Vegas' lip fold has gone all yucky again :(  It had cleared up over the weekend and by Monday, it looked perfectly fine and there was no smell at all. But last night, it looked horrible again and smelt awful. So, I'm guessing it didn't clear up properly the last time - how long should I continue cleaning the affected area after it has apparently cleared up? Cos I just stopped straight away - maybe thats where its gone wrong?  Have never had this probelm before so its all new to me :rolleyes:  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Infected Jowls
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 05:32:39 PM »
Yes sometimes you do have to keep the daily cleaning routine up for quite a while for the infection to clear up completely. There may be a chance that you'll need to do this every day indefinitely if Dallas is now prone to lipfold trouble - time will tell :)

Jane
Jane

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 08:07:29 PM »
With Jamie, I ended up having to clean it with iodine wash twice a day, he was on antibiotics periodically and still he finally developed large ulcers under the fold  :( .

I would bet that Jamie's lipfold problems were the reason he came into rescue - the smell when it was at its worst was unbelievable <insert smilie for holding your nose>  ;)

I know I do keep going on about the operation for it, but only because it was such a godsend for him.  He was aged about 11 when he had it and it really did solve all the problems.  A dog with constant lipfold problems must be really uncomfortable, even tho they don't show it.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Infected Jowls
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 10:27:13 PM »
I think I'd be inclined to wipe over with a wetted pad of water and hibiscrub daily if it keeps recurring so much. It's not going to do any harm and should prevent it flaring up.

Poor fella and poor you - not very nice is it. :(  :ph34r:

We're on a roll at the mo - Bud's been clear for months now :D  I'll often just give him a wipe if I think his mouths looking a bit wet or inflamed too to prevent it really flaring up and I think that's what's done the trick :D  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 11:46:23 PM »
Neneh has had trouble with this, and I've found it's helped by wiping her mouth with kitchen towel everytime she has a drink - she walks away with it dripping everywhere and I don't think it staying wet around the mouth helped.
I used diluted Hibiscrub at first, but now that the smell (& hopefully the infection) has gone I clean around her mouth daily with an UNscented baby wipe.
They are gentle but cleansing and really do seem to have got on top of the problem  :) *fingers now crossed*

Offline PennyB

Infected Jowls
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 10:52:10 PM »
Well the thornitts worked on Rocky and they were quite bad, and I only used it once. Vet took his neuter stitches out today and commented on how dry the lipfold was now looking, but I didn't tell him why!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Infected Jowls
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »
A great natural remedy is apple cider vinegar. Buy it raw and unfiltered from health food shops.
Well i never!!!!! I ordered the Thornits powder and am waiting for it to arrive. But i was walking round Tesco and decided to give the Apple Cider Vinegar a go! We rubbed in on twice yesterday and by this morning the smell had gone and the whole lip fold looks much healthier! This stuff is wonderfull! And she ends up smelling of apples!!!!!

Thank you so much for the advice!

I'm going to use the thornits as a preventative when it arrives. (so thank you too Jane)

clare
Clare